Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    27 Oct '06 17:391 edit
    Originally posted by Ian68
    Believe whatever pleases commoners
    Finally someone puts it together. I kept hinting at the key. I wonder if anyone would have gotten it without my three hints? b, 3 off, e, 1 off, L 4 off, finally someone realized it was just PI! What I wonder is why can't you have a key that just starts at some value in, say the 33 millionth digit of PI and goes on from there, since we have PI defined to a trillion places then we can have at least that many characters and that is a lot of documents!
    Good Job!
  2. Somewhere
    Joined
    17 Oct '05
    Moves
    3478
    28 Oct '06 02:00
    lol! i feel kinda silly, i took a different approach to it number-wise so i was rather wrong in my answer.
  3. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Sep '06
    Moves
    923
    28 Oct '06 13:28
    blast it.
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Sep '06
    Moves
    923
    28 Oct '06 13:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Finally someone puts it together. I kept hinting at the key. I wonder if anyone would have gotten it without my three hints? b, 3 off, e, 1 off, L 4 off, finally someone realized it was just PI! What I wonder is why can't you have a key that just starts at some value in, say the 33 millionth digit of PI and goes on from there, since we have PI defined to a ...[text shortened]... aces then we can have at least that many characters and that is a lot of documents!
    Good Job!
    Does not pi repeat at the hyper-thousandth level?

    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/09/hyper_thousand.php
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    28 Oct '06 13:58
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    Does not pi repeat at the hyper-thousandth level?

    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/09/hyper_thousand.php
    No.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    28 Oct '06 17:26
    Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
    Does not pi repeat at the hyper-thousandth level?

    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/09/hyper_thousand.php
    I think you realize that was a joke, eh. Here is what I am wondering:
    If you use PI, it works only as long as the key in not known. Now I think an algorithm used to analyse keys could solve this kind of thing pretty quickly and once it was realized it was just PI then the entire message would follow a few microseconds later. I deliberately used PI because the first three letters would show it to be 314, that pattern should be obvious. So what if instead, you started with the 1 billionth digit of PI and went from there? Wouldn't it be harder for an algorithm to pick up on that? Also, there are lots of irrational numbers that have infinite digits, so what if you interspersed in a key, say starting at the 1 billionth digit of PI and every other number of PI would be interspersed with the 4500th digit of the square root of two or some such. Wouldn't that be almost impossible to decipher? Xanthos, if you read this, could you comment?
  7. Joined
    25 Oct '06
    Moves
    165
    28 Oct '06 21:21
    the key is this: the letter A would be the oppiste of Z. So if the oppistie of B is Y. Then the answer to C is X. Try using THAT method to find the answer.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    29 Oct '06 15:50
    Originally posted by ChessManCLoss
    the key is this: the letter A would be the oppiste of Z. So if the oppistie of B is Y. Then the answer to C is X. Try using THAT method to find the answer.
    So try it. Of course the fact that the puzzle was already solved might make a differance. Other than that I don't see any connection here. Also, what if the letters were on a wheel, A would be right next to Z, not opposite. In that case Z would be opposite M. H opposite U etc.
    But it would be very easy to solve that kind of puzzle because Z would always stand for M, H to U and so forth so E = R would mean R would be E no matter how many times it is used and so can be analyzed with statistics. It would not take very many letters to figure out R is the most common one used and the rest would follow pretty quickly.
    My method uses a key that is for all intents and purposes random so E at one point would not be E the second time round so no such statistical analysis would work, at least not simple analysis systems.
  9. Joined
    15 Sep '06
    Moves
    1692
    30 Oct '06 17:38
    I don't see how you could work it out without your letter clues though. So we needed a clue to start with.
  10. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    4532
    30 Oct '06 18:01
    Originally posted by Black Queen
    I don't see how you could work it out without your letter clues though. So we needed a clue to start with.
    Look at his profile, he has the word 'pi' in capital letters.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    30 Oct '06 18:22
    Originally posted by Ian68
    Look at his profile, he has the word 'pi' in capital letters.
    Well SOMEBODY noticed🙂 Finding the key is the key!
Back to Top