1. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    127.0.0.1
    Joined
    18 Dec '03
    Moves
    16018
    21 Apr '08 15:50
    What comes next?
    1
    11
    21
    1211
    111221
    312211
    ...
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    35068
    21 Apr '08 15:511 edit
    Yes, I do like this one. Won't spoil it though.
  3. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    127.0.0.1
    Joined
    18 Dec '03
    Moves
    16018
    21 Apr '08 15:521 edit
    and no cheating by looking it up in the encyclopedia of integer sequences...
  4. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    11845
    21 Apr '08 17:38
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    What comes next?
    1
    11
    21
    1211
    111221
    312211
    ...
    13112221
    1113213211
    31131211131221

    ????
  5. B is for bye bye
    Joined
    09 Apr '06
    Moves
    27526
    21 Apr '08 18:10
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    and no cheating by looking it up in the encyclopedia of integer sequences...
    Or at previous threads.
  6. Montgomery
    Joined
    17 Mar '06
    Moves
    7336
    22 Apr '08 01:371 edit
    Originally posted by brobluto
    13112221
    1113213211
    31131211131221

    ????
    13211311123113112211
    sorry disregard earlier version due to the fact that I can't count. 😛 I believe this version is right though
  7. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    127.0.0.1
    Joined
    18 Dec '03
    Moves
    16018
    22 Apr '08 01:46
    does the length of members of this series increase exponentially?
  8. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    667
    22 Apr '08 02:15
    Once you determine what the rule entails, discovering the next term is very easy. Each number is determined exclusively by the previous number, by the way, but not in the standard mathematical way.
  9. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Joined
    04 Nov '06
    Moves
    23536
    22 Apr '08 03:06
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    What comes next?
    1
    11
    21
    1211
    111221
    312211
    ...
    Oh....

    Got it... took a minute (or six) though.
    😀
  10. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    11845
    22 Apr '08 15:03
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    does the length of members of this series increase exponentially?
    I think so, but I'm struggling with when the number 4 will occur in the series... (I don't think it will)

    In order to get a 4, you would need either 1,2,or3 repeated 4 times:

    1111
    2222
    3333

    This would require a break from the sequence so I don't believe the number 4 is achievable. Is that correct?
  11. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    127.0.0.1
    Joined
    18 Dec '03
    Moves
    16018
    22 Apr '08 18:50
    Originally posted by brobluto
    I think so, but I'm struggling with when the number 4 will occur in the series... (I don't think it will)

    In order to get a 4, you would need either 1,2,or3 repeated 4 times:

    1111
    2222
    3333

    This would require a break from the sequence so I don't believe the number 4 is achievable. Is that correct?
    I believe you are correct that the number 4 will never appear. since each 'description' is two digits long, and the second digit is the character that appeared, you will never have two descriptions in a row with the same second character.
Back to Top