1. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 22:27
    If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:26
    Originally posted by EAPOE
    If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?
    Depends on which definition of "sound" we're using. If I can pick any definition, then yes. If the definition used is dependent on there being a hearer, then of course no.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 01:06
    how do you know there's no one in the forest, you're not there..? to answer your question, no it doesnt make a sound, the tree checks on the fall, if no ones looking, why bother?
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 02:17
    If someone asks a philosophical question and there's no one around to answer it.. is it still a question?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 02:18
    If a man alone in the forest speaks, is he still wrong?
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 02:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If a man alone in the forest speaks, is he still wrong?
    According to his wife, yes.
  7. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 10:59
    If a tree falls in the forest and noone is around to hear, then the tree just quietly lays down for a nap. The tree's only sound might be the sound of sawing logs.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 11:10
    Is Schrödinger's cat alive or dead before you open the box and look?
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 17:281 edit
    Yes.

The Soft G

p.s. Subscribers!, please make sure you vote for my pirate poll. Thread 63062
  10. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 15:58
    The answer depends on whether or not the definition of sound requires there to be a listener.

Define it as a physical phenomona (wave motion through a physical medium in the form of alternating compression and decompression of said matter), and you can be reasonably certain that that phenomena would be present as an aftereffect, and thus it would make a sound.

But if something has to be verified by a listener and none is there to fulfill the role, then no, it doesn't make a sound.

Regardless, it is impossible to answer this as anything but a philosophical question.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 17:42
    Originally posted by geepamoogle
    The answer depends on whether or not the definition of sound requires there to be a listener.

Define it as a physical phenomona (wave motion through a physical medium in the form of alternating compression and decompression of said matter), and you can be reasonably certain that that phenomena would be present as an aftereffect, and thus it would make ...[text shortened]... sound.

Regardless, it is impossible to answer this as anything but a philosophical question.
    I made the parallel of the Schrödinger's cat which in essence is that you can't tell anything about anything if there is no one observing it. The cat is neither or both dead and/or alive until you look.

If no one hear the sound, there is no way to find out if there were a sound or not. Even no way to tell that it was a tree that fell. Only when you observe, in one way or another, the probability wave collapses and the effect is evident.

Is this philosophical or not? Is quantum mechanics philosophical or not? I say it is neither until you think about it.
  12. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 18:28
    Point taken. There is only a hint of it in my reply, but my own personal point of view is that truth does not depend on one's ability to confirm it. Something that is true is true even if others (including myself) are ignorant of that fact.

Of course, it is usually nice for us to perceive and thus confirm things with our own senses, and that's perfectly fine. (We like to verify for certain that the cat is indeed dead, and oftentimes cannot proclaim him dead until such verification is made by opening the box.)
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 22:42
    If my GCSE physics serves me well, then it creates sound waves but no actual sound unless an actual ear is there to hear it.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 07:21
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No.

(Well, actually, yes. The experiment is flawed, because the cat itself is also macroscopic ("an observer"😉. But assuming a quantum-physical cat, as the experiment has to do to work, the answer is no.)

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree