1. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '05 21:231 edit
    how many times does 3 go into -3?

some of you might say it goes in to it -1 times, but how can you go into something -1 times? you either go into it (1+) or not (0)

2. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 00:15
    And how many times does 0 go into 0? None at all, or rather a lot?
  3. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 22:19
    mathematical 0 doesn't excist.
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    30 Apr '05 23:34
    Originally posted by Siebren
    mathematical 0 doesn't excist.
    I have no apples on my head. Are you saying I'm wrong?
  5. In your face
    Moves
    01 May '05 03:47
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I have no apples on my head. Are you saying I'm wrong?
    Mathematically, yes. Literally, you do not have any apples on your head. But mathematically you cannot have no number of apples on your head beac=se n0 number cannot exis$t in a d3m0cracy.

6. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    01 May '05 15:07
    Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose

some of you might say it goes in to it -1 times, but how can you go into something -1 times? you either go into it (1+) or not (0)

Since we're being all literal and mathematical....

Surely it goes in 'once' or 'one time' not -1 times.

-1 is just the factor you use to mutliply 3, not the actual amount of times it goes into it.
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    01 May '05 16:12
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Since we're being all literal and mathematical....

Surely it goes in 'once' or 'one time' not -1 times.

-1 is just the factor you use to mutliply 3, not the actual amount of times it goes into it.
    Are you saying that 3 and -3 are equivalent? How so?
  8. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    01 May '05 16:15
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Mathematically, yes. Literally, you do not have any apples on your head. But mathematically you cannot have no number of apples on your head beac=se n0 number cannot exis$t in a d3m0cracy.

Perhaps if I take the apple off my head, myself and the entire Universe will cease to exist...
  9. Standard memberAsher123
    Drunken Shogun
    on Satan's fork
    Moves
    01 May '05 16:22
    i think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Mathematics in it's entirety is a theory which has no real grasp on reality. The number 1 (the basis for mathematics) doesn't really represent anything real. There is no 1 of anything since there are no 2 things in this universe that are identicle single entities.
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    01 May '05 16:38
    Originally posted by Asher123
    i think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Mathematics in it's entirety is a theory which has no real grasp on reality. The number 1 (the basis for mathematics) doesn't really represent anything real. There is no 1 of anything since there are no 2 things in this universe that are identicle single entities.
    What an odd thing to say. Mathematics is more about concepts than numbers and numbers themselves provide a language for these concepts.

You sound more like a philosopher than a mathematician.
  11. Standard memberAsher123
    Drunken Shogun
    on Satan's fork
    Moves
    01 May '05 16:41
    i think any good mathemtaician is somewhat of a philosopher as well, just as any good physicist is. We provide a language which best fits our understanding and best allows us to explore the world intelectually, but it's just that - a language. And just as the word 'Chair' is a poor representative of an actual chair (the word chair can be used to describe an infinite number of pieces of furniture) so in mathematics.
  12. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    01 May '05 16:55
    Originally posted by Asher123
    And just as the word 'Chair' is a poor representative of an actual chair (the word chair can be used to describe an infinite number of pieces of furniture) so in mathematics.
    You've confirmed my suspicions 😀
  13. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    01 May '05 17:04
    It depends in which set you are reasoning. But since -3 exists, I would assume you are talking about the set of whole numbers (positive and negative), and -1 would be a good answer. If you were talking real numbers, then there would be an infintie number of answers, and so on ....
  14. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    01 May '05 18:56
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    It depends in which set you are reasoning. But since -3 exists, I would assume you are talking about the set of whole numbers (positive and negative), and -1 would be a good answer. If you were talking real numbers, then there would be an infintie number of answers, and so on ....
    Mathematically, I doubt there are an infinite number of solutions to -3/3.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 May '05 19:57
    Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose

How can there be a negative number?

If you're talking about negative numbers, why can't positive numbers go into them negative one times?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree