1. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 May '05 21:03
    because when you take the definition of "going into something", you can't go into it negative times... you either go into it or not. That's like going negative miles per hour (NOT BACKWARDS) you can't go negative mph or km/h but it's an idea, isn't it?
  2. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 May '05 22:29
    Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
    how many times does 3 go into -3?

some of you might say it goes in to it -1 times, but how can you go into something -1 times? you either go into it (1+) or not (0)

The answer to your question. -3/3=-1 (If a debt of $3 is devided equally by three people they all ow $1 therefor their balance is -1)

But if I correctly understand the intention of your post. It might have been better to ask the root of -3.

3. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 May '05 22:371 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I have no apples on my head. Are you saying I'm wrong?
    No then you are correct. But only if you are stating that you have NO aplles on your head. If your stating that you have 0 aplles on your head. then you are talking nonsense.

For example. Stating you have no planes on your head is correct. Stating you have 0 planes on your head doesn't make sense.

Another one, would you state that you have no trees in your blood, or would you state you have 0 trees in your blood?

Offcourse no trees. 0 doesn't make sense because you are really not stating a volume. 0 is NOT a volume. If you are confused by this, please consult a mathteacher. I don't know a better way to explain.
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    08 May '05 15:061 edit
    Originally posted by Siebren
    But if I correctly understand the intention of your post. It might have been better to ask the root of -3.

Oh that's easy. (3^.5)i.
  5. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    08 May '05 15:16
    No then you are correct. But only if you are stating that you have NO aplles on your head. If your stating that you have 0 aplles on your head. then you are talking nonsense.

For example. Stating you have no planes on your head is correct. Stating you have 0 planes on your head doesn't make sense.

Another one, would you state that you have no trees in ...[text shortened]... you are confused by this, please consult a mathteacher. I don't know a better way to explain.
    While it's true that I have no NO trees in my blood, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong in substituting the value "0".

I have 0 trees in my blood.

I have 0 chimneys up my nose.

I have -1 left arms connected to my right shoulder.

And so on.

Feel free to consult a maths teacher yourself, whilst I consult my psychologist.
  6. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 May '05 18:19
    Oh that's easy. (3^.5)i.
    where'd the .5 come from?
  7. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    08 May '05 21:46
    While it's true that I have no NO trees in my blood, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong in substituting the value "0".

I have 0 trees in my blood.

I have 0 chimneys up my nose.

I have -1 left arms connected to my right shoulder.

And so on.

Feel free to consult a maths teacher yourself, whilst I consult my psychologist.
    -1 left arms.

hmmzzs, In that case do I have -1 vagina's ? (I 'm male)

I'm confused now 🙄
  8. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 May '05 23:23
    🙄 me too... how can you TELL if you have -1 vaginas?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 May '05 00:42
    🙄 me too... how can you TELL if you have -1 vaginas?
    When I'm getting desperate? 😀
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    09 May '05 02:41
    -1 left arms.

hmmzzs, In that case do I have -1 vagina's ? (I 'm male)

I'm confused now 🙄
    No. You have 0.
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    09 May '05 15:48
    -3 DIVIDED BY 3 equals -1.

My calculator and I know what 'divided by' is, mathematically speaking. Because 3 * -1 = -3, it's pretty simple to reverse the process.

I don't know a mathematical operation called "go into", unless you mean that one. Just because you're trying to define it by words and then using the logic of the physical world, you're making an issue out of a very simple mathematical sum.
  12. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    09 May '05 15:50
    because when you take the definition of "going into something", you can't go into it negative times... you either go into it or not. That's like going negative miles per hour (NOT BACKWARDS) you can't go negative mph or km/h but it's an idea, isn't it?
    What's wrong with defining backwards as negative? Ever looked at a measuring line with zero in the middle? All the positive numbers are on one side, and the negative numbers are on the other. Direction is important.

Honestly, this whole 'paradox' depends on your methods of definition.
  13. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    09 May '05 15:53
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Just because you're trying to define it by words and then using the logic of the physical world, you're making an issue out of a very simple mathematical sum.
    I bet they still won't get it.
  14. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    09 May '05 16:20
    I bet they still won't get it.
    Care to put a little wager on that? Say, 0 dollars? Wait, let me check my wallet...OK, I have that. 0 dollars it is.

15. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    09 May '05 16:36
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Care to put a little wager on that? Say, 0 dollars? Wait, let me check my wallet...OK, I have that. 0 dollars it is.

No. I'll bet -£100 that I'm wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree