Moves
    09 May '05 20:52
    ...still don't get where the .5 is coming from
  3. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 May '05 20:53
    Originally posted by orfeo
    What's wrong with defining backwards as negative? Ever looked at a measuring line with zero in the middle? All the positive numbers are on one side, and the negative numbers are on the other. Direction is important.

Honestly, this whole 'paradox' depends on your methods of definition.
    true... but then can you go at a speed of -20 mph? -80km/h?
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    09 May '05 22:19
    Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
    true... but then can you go at a speed of -20 mph? -80km/h?
    YES.

I did maths problems like that in HIGH SCHOOL.

If north is positive, then -20mph means doing 20mph in a southerly direction.
  5. Joined
    04 Aug '01
    Moves
    09 May '05 22:43
    Not sure what you mean....

The .5 comes in because (3^.5)^2 = 3, and we were looking for roots that satisfy x^2 = -3.
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    10 May '05 08:141 edit
    ^.5 is a way of writing square root when you can't use a square root symbol. It's "to the power of 1/2".

Does that help?
  7. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 May '05 12:58
    yea.

..but going 20 mph south facing north isn't -20 mph... you're still going 20 mph, you're just facing the other way. Try walking backwards. You're going at a positive speed, just facing the opposite way
  8. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    10 May '05 13:59
    yea.

..but going 20 mph south facing north isn't -20 mph... you're still going 20 mph, you're just facing the other way. Try walking backwards. You're going at a positive speed, just facing the opposite way
    This is the difference between SPEED and VELOCITY. Properly defined, speed has no direction and can only be positive. Velocity, properly defined, is speed IN A DIRECTION.

So yes, there is no such thing as negative speed. But there is such a thing as negative velocity.

...what has this got to do with your original question, anyway?
  9. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 May '05 14:50
    dunno... it started with 3 times n = -3... which turned into negative ideas, then negative speeds, i guess 😛
  10. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    10 May '05 22:01
    dunno... it started with 3 times n = -3... which turned into negative ideas, then negative speeds, i guess 😛
    A-HA!

If you post it THAT way, isn't it obvious the answer is -1?
  11. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 May '05 22:051 edit
    umm... no? that brings back the original question: how can you go into something (such as -3) -1 times? you either go into it (1 or more times) or you don't (0 times)

this is a random thought, but also, imagine getting into a car. You can't go into the car -1 times, can you?
  12. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    10 May '05 22:141 edit
    umm... no? that brings back the original question: how can you go into something (such as -3) -1 times? you either go into it (1 or more times) or you don't (0 times)

this is a random thought, but also, imagine getting into a car. You can't go into the car -1 times, can you?
    -3 goes into -3 once.

If 3 went into -3 once, you'd have to say that 3 and -3 are the same value. And in that case, if you had 3 apples and I took away 6, you'd still have 3 apples!

And yes, you can get into a car -1 times. By getting out...
  13. Joined
    06 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 May '05 22:19
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    -3 goes into -3 once.

If 3 went into -3 once, you'd have to say that 3 and -3 are the same value. And in that case, if you had 3 apples and I took away 6, you'd still have 3 apples!

And yes, you can get into a car -1 times. By getting out...
    IF... 3 goes into -3 once. HOWEVER... 3 doesn't go into -3 once. It goes into it negative times. -3 degrees C is colder than 3 degrees, if that relates at all
  14. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    11 May '05 02:38

You represented it just then as MULTIPLICATION question : n times 3 = -3. It's pretty darn obvious n=-1.

As I said before, the only reason there is a 'paradox' is because you are framing the question by physical examples. Mathematically there's no difficulty at all.
  15. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    11 May '05 02:38
    IF... 3 goes into -3 once. HOWEVER... 3 doesn't go into -3 once. It goes into it negative times. -3 degrees C is colder than 3 degrees, if that relates at all
    No, not really...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree