Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46043
    04 Feb '14 19:56
    The answer to this cryptic clue is an algebraic move.

    James Hunt revealed to have been gay; more revelations to come.
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '09
    Moves
    112229
    07 Feb '14 10:11
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The answer to this cryptic clue is an algebraic move.

    James Hunt revealed to have been gay; more revelations to come.
    Happy to admit defeat on this one.
    Maybe you would PM or post a hint if no-one else has cracked it yet?
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6830
    07 Feb '14 15:003 edits
    Maybe "f1" ( for "Formula 1" ) to ... something?

    On second thoughts, "f1 takes ..." seems more likely, where "..." is an algebraic square which could mean something like "it up the bum".

    On third thoughts, how about "f1=Q+"?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46043
    07 Feb '14 20:20
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Maybe "f1" ( for "Formula 1" ) to ... something?

    On second thoughts, "f1 takes ..." seems more likely, where "..." is an algebraic square which could mean something like "it up the bum".

    On third thoughts, how about "f1=Q+"?
    so close.

    I was thinking exf1=Q+

    ex formula1 is a queen more to come!
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6830
    10 Feb '14 12:30
    I would never have got that. I've played chess for far too long to read "exf1" as anything other than "e takes f1".
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    46043
    10 Feb '14 20:02
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I would never have got that. I've played chess for far too long to read "exf1" as anything other than "e takes f1".
    Reminds me of that ancient puzzle.
    With the opponents king on e4
    Set up checkmate with 2 rooks and a knight. (No help from king)

    Apparently the more experienced you are the harder the puzzle!
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    6830
    11 Feb '14 00:10
    Yes, the point being that it is impossible to achieve in a legal game so players with lots of experience of normal chess won't be inclined to put the king in check by both rooks at the same time!
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    11 Feb '14 20:14
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yes, the point being that it is impossible to achieve in a legal game so players with lots of experience of normal chess won't be inclined to put the king in check by both rooks at the same time!
    [fen]8/8/8/8/3RkRN1/8/8/K7 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Damn. I found this solution quite quickly and I thought I was being so clever. I hadn't twigged that it was not a possible position!
  9. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    03 Apr '14 13:31
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Damn. I found this solution quite quickly and I thought I was being so clever. I hadn't twigged that it was not a possible position!
    Considering the king is in check twice but you can't do that outside of a discovered check....
Back to Top