1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 20:12
    There exists an enchanted amulet. It currently sells for $1,000,000. Why? Well, it has a curious but wonderful property. If you manage to sell it to someone else for less than its original price then you go to heaven. Alas, it also has a curious but horrible property. If you fail in your attempt to sell it, you go to hell.

Assume that the amulet can only be sold for a whole number of dollars.

Question: Would you buy it at its current price? If not, at what price? What is the lowest value you would be prepared to buy the amulet for?
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 20:381 edit
    Under the following two assumptions, I would not buy it at any price:
    1) giving it away for 0£ is not a valid 'sale'
    2) the population I am dealing with is at least as clever as I am.

Why? Reasoning back from a purchase of 1£ the person could not get rid of it, and therefor would not buy it. The same holds for the person who gets the offer at 2£ , 3£, etc. ...

Gambling a bit, using my inside knowledge on the RHP population, I would buy it and be pretty sure I find a customer for it, perhaps even with a huge gain 😀

edit. even assumption 1 is not needed.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 22:53
    Clarification request: the 'original price' mentioned is the price any individual paid for it, not the original price of 1,000,000 I assume. Right?
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 04:27
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Clarification request: the 'original price' mentioned is the price any individual paid for it, not the original price of 1,000,000 I assume. Right?
    I assume so. Every person must sell it for less than they bought it to earn the benefit.
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 11:37
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Yep.
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 11:48
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Under the following two assumptions, I would not buy it at any price:
    1) giving it away for 0£ is not a valid 'sale'
    2) the population I am dealing with is at least as clever as I am.

Why? Reasoning back from a purchase of 1£ the person could not get rid of it, and therefor would not buy it. The same holds for the person who gets the offer at 2£ , 3 ...[text shortened]... d a customer for it, perhaps even with a huge gain 😀

edit. even assumption 1 is not needed.
    This is why I think the question is interesting. Among perfectly rational beings, say Vulcans, no one would buy the amulet at any price. But because we know that other humans are irrational, we know we may in fact get a buyer for the amulet, a buyer who uses exactly the same logic!

So what's the lowest price you think you could sell it for here at RHP? And to whom???
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 11:52
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    This is why I think the question is interesting. Among perfectly rational beings, say Vulcans, no one would buy the amulet at any price. But because we know that other humans are irrational, we know we may in fact get a buyer for the amulet, a buyer who uses exactly the same logic!

So what's the lowest price you think you could sell it for here at RHP? And to whom???
    RBHILL
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    24 Nov '05 12:00
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    RBHILL
    Lol, and for £999,998 (a 'sale' offer).
  9. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '05 18:13
    There are no adverse effects of selling it at a price higher than you bought it.
    So some people can choose to go to heaven by selling at a lower price
    and some people can choose to make money by selling it at a higher price to people who want to resell it lower
  10. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 15:251 edit
    You could just buy it for a million.

Sell it to your friend for 1 dollar less, who sells it to you for 1 dollar less, then sells it to someone else for 2 million.

You both go to heaven, and you can pocket 1 dollar.
  11. Standard memberjimmyb270
    Top Gun
    Angels 20
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 17:06
    You're all missing the point of salesmanship. You don't have to tell them that this amulet sends you to heaven if you sell it at a lower price. Just tell them it's a cheapo gold-plated necklace and flog it to them for a tenner.
  12. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 17:18
    Originally posted by jimmyb270
    You're all missing the point of salesmanship. You don't have to tell them that this amulet sends you to heaven if you sell it at a lower price. Just tell them it's a cheapo gold-plated necklace and flog it to them for a tenner.
    I don't think money's the issue here. I mean, if there was a heaven, you shouldn't be able to buy your way in. That should just send you to hell.

In the end, someone won't be able to sell it. Should they spend an eternity in hell for your ass? I don't think so. That's just wrong on all accounts.

Sorry if no one got the sarcasm in my previous post.
  13. Belfast
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 22:15
    Since neither magic, heaven nor hell exist, you forget the whole damn thing and go about your daily business.
  14. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    02 Dec '05 00:22
    Assuming you have the million available, you buy it sell it to your buddy for $5, he then sells it back to you for $4, and you then resell it for $2,000,000. Your buddy goes to heaven, and you walk away with the same fate you walked in with (since one assumes you can't go both to heaven and hell), and an extra million in your pocket.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Dec '05 00:42
    Originally posted by lukemcmullan
    Since neither magic, heaven nor hell exist, you forget the whole damn thing and go about your daily business.
    How boring.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree