1. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 20:03
    There wouldn't be enough matter in the universe to create such a hotel, let alone people to fill it. Why are German thinking up such stupid stuff. No wonder they lost the war.
  2. Joined
    24 Nov '04
    Moves
    12 Jul '06 20:51
    There's infinite digits in pi, or any other irrational decimal, or any recurring decimal. They never stop.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '06 04:44
    Originally posted by borissa
    There's infinite digits in pi, or any other irrational decimal, or any recurring decimal. They never stop.
    good comeback LOL.
  4. In your face
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by borissa
    Imagine a hotel with an infinite number of rooms. The rooms are simply numbered 1,2,3...ad infinitum. Each room will fit only 1 person in, and each room is full.

Now, what happens if one more person comes? Which room do you put them in?
    If each room is full, then surely there must be a finite number of rooms. And also if you put an infinite number of people in an infinite number of rooms then there are infinity/infinity persons per room which = 0 persons per room. so you have all of your rooms empty for the next infinite coach load of people. 😛
  5. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    17 Jul '06 23:591 edit
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    ...then there are infinity/infinity persons per room which = 0 persons per room.
    That's Naughty Maths again.

Infinity ÷ Infinity = [SERVER MALFUNCTION]
  6. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 03:001 edit
    When I saw this, I remembered how to do the single extra person, from second year set theory. The infinitely large coach with an infinite number of people on, that's fine too.

But I definitely remember there being a way to handle an infinite number of coaches with infinitely many people on each turning up, too. Argh, that's annoying me now... Anyone?

[Edit: of course, since posting this, Wikipedia furnished me with an answer... I'll leave it an open question though 😉 ]
  7. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 03:45
    Doesn't seem to be logical question to me. The way I see it, if the hotel has infinite number of rooms (ignoring the fact that that is impossible in itself, because surely there is limit to space?), then it can never be full. To me the word 'infinite' means there is no end, no limit, i.e. there is always another rooms available. Which necessarily mean it can accommodates ANY number of guests.
  8. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 04:28
    Mathematicians have plenty of definitions of infinity to bandy around; the one you want here is aleph-null, if it helps - it's defined as the size of the set of whole numbers...

It doesn't work in the real world, it's an abstract maths problem, but that's just how these things go.
  9. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 10:264 edits
    Originally posted by jimbobulator
    When I saw this, I remembered how to do the single extra person, from second year set theory. The infinitely large coach with an infinite number of people on, that's fine too.

But I definitely remember there being a way to handle an infinite number of coaches with infinitely many people on each turning up, too. Argh, that's annoying me now... Anyone? ...[text shortened]... ing this, Wikipedia furnished me with an answer... I'll leave it an open question though 😉 ]
    If an infinite number of coaches turn up each with an infinite number of people on board, you simply use some bijection f mapping

N x N to N

where N is the set of natural numbers 0,1,2,3,...

An example of such a map is

f(n,m) = 2^n * (2m+1) - 1.

So you'd put the nth person on the mth bus in the f(n,m)th room.

All this works because as you say N and N x N have the same cardinality.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 15:06
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    theres infinate people too, the problem is there is no such thing as infinate. thats impossible, everything has to stop somewhere.
    Couldn't find a referance to infinate other than infinate.com a domain registering outfit.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 15:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    An interesting aspect of this 'paradox' is the following:

You have a hotel with infinite number of rooms and they're all filled up. You rent the rooms night after night.

A new guest comes. You place every guest in room #n in room #(n+1). That's the solution, right?

But the room #1 is not free before all guest move one room upwards. This takes inf ...[text shortened]... inite time at your disposal - the 'paradox' has not a solution. It simply can't be done.
    In the 30 second time frame mentioned, at the speed of light, assuming 20 feet per room, you can't notify more than 1.47 billion people and even in one year you can't get to more than 1.5 E15 dudes. Thats 1,500 trillion (american trillion). Not quite infinite. So like he says, it would take an inifinte amount of time and too much time even for the close in people.
  12. e4: owningthecenter
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 17:44
    Originally posted by Bowmann

Chuck Norris can divide by zero
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 19:12
    Originally posted by Gammastyle
    Upchuck Norris IS zero.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 21:03
    Originally posted by Gammastyle
    Me too, but the answer is unreliable.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jul '06 07:191 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann

How about the limit of f(x) = x/x as x => infinity? That gives you 1 person per room.

How did you decide infinity/infinity = 0, Jim?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree