Tool.
    Wear the grudge like a crown.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 15:19
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Howzabout a whole lot of zero's? Surely they cannot amount to nothing.
    you should come work at my office....alot of zero's here amount to nothing!
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 15:31
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    Search "empty product" on Wikipedia for a nice explanation. By the way, in response to Bowmann, infinity - infinity is an indeterminate form, therefore the operation can't be performed.
    Ok I read the article in wikipedia and it just states the same tired arguments which boil down to essentially..."we have to state O!=1 or else it screws up a bunch of our number theories"

Just because something screws up a model that works well for most things, it doesn't mean you should discount it, or fix it by just making a statement that is more philosophical than it is mathematics..(0 ways= 1 way)

That would be like all those early String Theory scientists saying, " oh those anomolies? uh, ya, just ignore that, our model works better if you ignore those anomolies" Instead, they went back and fixed their model.

Perhaps a re-visit of this 0=1 nonsense would prove uzfull
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 16:12
    Originally posted by uzless
    Ok I read the article in wikipedia and it just states the same tired arguments which boil down to essentially..."we have to state O!=1 or else it screws up a bunch of our number theories"

Just because something screws up a model that works well for most things, it doesn't mean you should discount it, or fix it by just making a statement that is more philos ...[text shortened]... back and fixed their model.

It's not 0=1, you're getting it wrong.

An empty product needs to be 1 to be coherent with all the other properties of products.

x^0=1 is again an empty product being equal to 1. Here it is easy to verify by the properties of exponentials that unless it is so a lot of inconsistencies would arise. You can also verify by tracing the function a^x that the limit when x->0 must be 1 to ensure the continuity of the function.

Don't forget that all Mathematics ultimately rest on axioms (regarding its operations, for example). If these axioms were not consistent, then the usefulness of mathematics as a tool would be greatly reduced.
  7. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 16:38

Just because something screws up a model that works well for most things, it doesn't mean you should discount it, or fix it by just making a statement that is more philos ...[text shortened]... back and fixed their model.

as mr delivery said, there is only one way of arranging 0 giraffes on his kitchen table-the way where there is none. thus, 0!=1...
  8. London
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 23:56
    Originally posted by GinRose
    OK now tell me why 1!=1, but 0! also =1. I just never got it.
    The reason that the reasons given so far seem unnatural to some posters is because they don't properly understand that mathematics is currently founded upon functions mapping sets to sets - rather than formulae containing numbers and letters.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 00:45

You really are useless.
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 18:512 edits
    Originally posted by TommyC
    The reason that the reasons given so far seem unnatural to some posters is because they don't properly understand that mathematics is currently founded upon functions mapping sets to sets - rather than formulae containing numbers and letters.
    Ignoring Xanthos's trailer park comment for the moment, you are referring exactly to what I am getting at. My question is not necessarily whether or not 0!=1 is correct, but rather whether or not a mathematical system that we have devised requiring 0!=1 to be correct is a system we should be using in the first place.

You state mathematics is currently founded upon functions mapping sets to sets. Is there an alternative foundation upon which we can draw upon that would not require 1!=1 and 0!=1 at the same time?

This may require some thought, but then again, I've noticed most posters here don't like to stray outside of their own presumptions and usually respond with some derogative derivitive of their own intransagence....even if this is a "Posers and Puzzles" board!

Edit: As Palynka said, "An empty product needs to be 1 to be coherent with all the other properties of products"

The fact that an empty product NEEDS to be 1 to be coherent with all other properties of products raises a red flag...Einstein created the Cosmological Constant because he NEEDED it to fit his model of the Universe...turns out it was just his model that was wrong.
  11. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 19:191 edit
    I don't think any professional mathematicians spend any time worrying why 0!=1. It is *defined* that way, (motivation for definition: convenience). End of story. It doesn't matter *why*, strictly speaking, it is a *definition*. You could equally well define it to be 258732057, but that would be very silly.

The reasons why 0!=1 happens to be convenient are given above. There are at least three good ones I've seen.

Mathematics is not about these kinds of issues. It is much more intricate and substantial.
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 19:511 edit
    Originally posted by SPMars
    I don't think any professional mathematicians spend any time worrying why 0!=1. It is *defined* that way, (motivation for definition: convenience). End of story. It doesn't matter *why*, strictly speaking, it is a *definition*. You could equally well define it to be 258732057, but that would be very silly.

The reasons why 0!=1 happens to be convenient
    Mathematics is not about these kinds of issues. It is much more intricate and substantial.
    Again, just because it's convenient to define something, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

You say it doesn't matter *why* because it's a *definition*...why do you take this definition on face value? Just because we are taught it's a definition and therefore irrefutable?

Is it possible this definition is wrong? Is there a way to test this definition? Or do we simply go along with it and accept it blindly?

Most of our "problems" in math come from the use of zero. To get around this "problem" we either define it (as in 0!=1) or we say it is "undefined" (5/0=?).

Is it okay to just say that our current system of mathematics doesn't handle zero all that well, or do we take a closer look. If you are comfortable with the notion of just defining things for convenience as long as the end solution is correct, then the current system is perfect for you and will yield reliable repeatable and correct answers. I just wonder if there is another way built on different axioms than our current number system. Kind of like QWERTY keyboards vs Dvorak. 😉
  13. Joined
    20 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 19:59
    Again, just because it's convenient to define something, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

You say it doesn't matter *why* because it's a *definition*...why do you take this definition on face value? Just because we are taught it's a definition and therefore irrefutable?

Is it possible this definition is wrong? Is there a way to test this definiti ...[text shortened]... axioms than our current number system. Kind of like QWERTY keyboards vs Dvorak. 😉
    You remind me of someone I used to call "The Master Of The Empty Set".

😉
  14. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 20:063 edits
    You remind me of someone I used to call "The Master Of The Empty Set".
    😉

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Er...no, as you can see on the left, that is definitely me.

Hey uzless, what about 0^0?
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 20:19
    Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
    [b]You remind me of someone I used to call "The Master Of The Empty Set".
    😉

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Er...no, as you can see on the left, that is definitely me.

Hey uzless, what about 0^0?[/b]
    0^0

That looks an awful lot like the face of those video game robots on "Berzerk" that used to chase you around the screen...."Get the Humanoid!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree