1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by SPMars
    You remind me of someone I used to call "The Master Of The Empty Set".

πŸ˜‰
    Ha, not sure if that's a good or bad thing although.....
  2. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 20:301 edit
    0^0=1

EDIT: found a semi-decent site on the reason, http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/math-faq/mathtext/node14.html
  3. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 23:191 edit
    Originally posted by genius
    0^0=1

EDIT: found a semi-decent site on the reason, http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/math-faq/mathtext/node14.html
    Yes, it is part of the sci.math FAQ.

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/math-faq/mathtext/math-faq.html
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Jul '06 00:39
    Originally posted by uzless
    Again, just because it's convenient to define something, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

You say it doesn't matter *why* because it's a *definition*...why do you take this definition on face value? Just because we are taught it's a definition and therefore irrefutable?

Is it possible this definition is wrong? Is there a way to test this definiti ...[text shortened]... axioms than our current number system. Kind of like QWERTY keyboards vs Dvorak. πŸ˜‰
    If you want to define your own set of mathmatical axioms that either avoid these problems with zero or even just avoid zero altogether then go ahead. Don't come crying to me when the whole lot fails to work.
  5. London
    Moves
    27 Jul '06 01:17
    Originally posted by uzless
    Ignoring Xanthos's trailer park comment for the moment, you are referring exactly to what I am getting at. My question is not necessarily whether or not 0!=1 is correct, but rather whether or not a mathematical system that we have devised requiring 0!=1 to be correct is a system we should be using in the first place.

You state mathematics is currently fou ...[text shortened]... DED it to fit his model of the Universe...turns out it was just his model that was wrong.
    My understanding here is a bit shady.

As far as I know, there are a few alternative philosophical stances within Set Theory that change a few things - they basically limit mathematics to certain things that can be 'made' in certain ways, that is it's mathematics with less objects and less proofs. I think mainly the things that drop off are some results with infinities. So they will have no effect on 0!=1. I don't think that 0!=1 is really considered much of a problem for mathematics, to be honest. Neither an example of a bigger problem or a problem in itself. So a few ideas that 'reduce' Set Theory I don't think really help you.

Going in the other direction, expanding Set Theory: Set Theory on the other hand *might* be generalised by something called Category Theory. Set Theory is basically predicated on the idea of putting something in something else (function mapping set to set.) Category Theory asks is there a more general way to describe this putting something in something else than the way it's done in Set Theory - and answers yes, as it turns out. It then describes a more generalised version of this than functions and sets offer. Some of the alternatives that feature in this generalization *do* change some major results in mathematics. In other words, what works for sets and functions doesn't work, if rather than sets and functions we use a different abstract system of 'putting something in something'.

However, Category Theory is not widely accepted as the foundation of mathematics - Set Theory is. (Category Theory is accepted in other ways, however, although it is borderline.) Also the movement to replace Set Theory with Category Theory at the foundation has, I believe, somewhat run aground to say the least. Further, from your perspective, I don't think Category Theory will change that 0!=1 at all. But nonetheless - to counter the Set Theory dogmatists Category Theory certainly provides something to think about.

As you say, such things might require some thought. Familiarize yourself with Set Theory for starters, and then good luck thinking your way beyond it πŸ™‚
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Jul '06 04:16
    The axioms for set theory now most often studied and used, although put in their final form by Skolem, are called the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory (ZF). Actually, this term usually excludes the axiom of choice, which was once more controversial than it is today. When this axiom is included, the resulting system is called ZFC.

An important feature of ZFC is that every object that it deals with is a set. In particular, every element of a set is itself a set. Other familiar mathematical objects, such as numbers, must be subsequently defined in terms of sets.

The ten axioms of ZFC are listed below. (Strictly speaking, the axioms of ZFC are just strings of logical symbols. What follows should therefore be viewed only as an attempt to express the intended meaning of these axioms in English. Moreover, the axiom of separation, along with the axiom of replacement, is actually a schema of axioms, one for each proposition). Each axiom has further information in its own article.

1. Axiom of extensionality: Two sets are the same if and only if they have the same elements.
    2. Axiom of empty set: There is a set with no elements. We will use {} to denote this empty set.
    3. Axiom of pairing: If x, y are sets, then so is {x,y}, a set containing x and y as its only elements.
    4. Axiom of union: Every set has a union. That is, for any set x there is a set y whose elements are precisely the elements of the elements of x.
    5. Axiom of infinity: There exists a set x such that {} is in x and whenever y is in x, so is the union y U {y}.
    6. Axiom of separation (or subset axiom): Given any set and any proposition P(x), there is a subset of the original set containing precisely those elements x for which P(x) holds.
    7. Axiom of replacement: Given any set and any mapping, formally defined as a proposition P(x,y) where P(x,y) and P(x,z) implies y = z, there is a set containing precisely the images of the original set's elements.
    8. Axiom of power set: Every set has a power set. That is, for any set x there exists a set y, such that the elements of y are precisely the subsets of x.
    9. Axiom of regularity (or axiom of foundation): Every non-empty set x contains some element y such that x and y are disjoint sets.
    10. Axiom of choice: (Zermelo's version) Given a set x of mutually disjoint nonempty sets, there is a set y (a choice set for x) containing exactly one element from each member of x.

The axioms of choice and regularity are still controversial today among a minority of mathematicians. Other axiom systems for set theory are Von Neumann-Bernays-Gödel set theory (NBG), the Kripke-Platek set theory (KP), Kripke-Platek set theory with urelements (KPU) and Morse-Kelley set theory. All of these are axiomatic set theories closely related to ZFC: axiomatic set theories with quite different approaches are (for example) New Foundations and systems of positive set theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiomatic_set_theory
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Jul '06 19:46
    Originally posted by TommyC
    My understanding here is a bit shady.

As far as I know, there are a few alternative philosophical stances within Set Theory that change a few things - they basically limit mathematics to certain things that can be 'made' in certain ways, that is it's mathematics with less objects and less proofs. I think mainly the things that drop off are some results wit ...[text shortened]... self with Set Theory for starters, and then good luck thinking your way beyond it πŸ™‚
    Now we're getting somewhere...
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Jul '06 19:46
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    If you want to define your own set of mathmatical axioms that either avoid these problems with zero or even just avoid zero altogether then go ahead. Don't come crying to me when the whole lot fails to work.
    I wouldn't come to you with anythingπŸ˜›
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 19:52
    people, we debating maths here. emm. well, i'm sure you can see the connotations of that statement for yourself...
  10. Joined
    20 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '06 07:21
    e^iO(theta)=cosO+sinO
    O(theta)=pi(reason e^i*pi=-1)
    e^i*pi=cos(pi)+sin(pi)=-1+0=-1
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Jul '06 08:55
    Originally posted by SID10
    e^iO(theta)=cosO+sinO
    O(theta)=pi(reason e^i*pi=-1)
    e^i*pi=cos(pi)+sin(pi)=-1+0=-1
    Did you really just use the statement itself in a proof of itself?
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '06 10:02
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    (0!+0!+0!+0!+0!)!
  13. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    30 Jul '06 13:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    And all from nothing!
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 20:001 edit
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    And all from nothing!
    Hey Bowman...you have more recs than moves...do you even play chess here anymore?

P.S. And where's my Daisy Duke lunchbox??

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree