1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 09:28
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity.

Also, you will weigh one sixth in moon because the mass of the moon is six times lesser than the earth but your mass will remain same anywhere in the universe.
    Mass is the same, even without gravity.
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 09:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Mass is the same, even without gravity.
    That is exactly what I said. Mass is same everywhere in the universe but weight can change!
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 10:53
    Originally posted by mlprior
    The pints may be smaller, but the beer tasts better.

😛
    The only beer from the USA I've ever tasted that didn't taste of diluted horse widdle - i.e., that wasn't worse even than our own Heineken, which is undiluted horse widdle - is Anchor. Mind you, that one is pretty good. Still not as good as a decent Belgian Trappist or a real English ale, though; but pretty good all the same.

Richard
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 10:58
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Isn't it sad that, even during a discussion of weights and measures on a puzzle forum, ignorance and bigotry creep in? Yes, Richard, we are U.S. aliens -- 300,000,000 of us -- and proud of it.

By the way, which planet are you from?
    Pffftt... if you take your nationality so seriously that you can't even take some gentle ribbing - on the subject of beer, for Cthulhu's sake! - all you do is prove that the ribbing was deserved.

Richard
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 11:46
    That is exactly what I said. Mass is same everywhere in the universe but weight can change!
    Oh, I thought you wrote: "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity."

I say, mass can never change (*). Mass doesn't depend of gravity.

(*) unless you convert mass into energy as Einstein says with his famous formula, but that's besides the point.

"1 kg can change..." I say no. A kg is always a kg.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 14:46
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Pffftt... if you take your nationality so seriously that you can't even take some gentle ribbing - on the subject of beer, for Cthulhu's sake! - all you do is prove that the ribbing was deserved.

Richard
    Sober up, my shallow friend, it's not about beer.. it's about your snide reference to Americans as "USAliens." Since when does an ethnic slur qualify as "gentle ribbing"? Your remark was rude and insulting. Maybe all that undiluted horse widdle has gone to your brain.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 19:14
    Oh, I thought you wrote: "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity."

I say, mass can never change (*). Mass doesn't depend of gravity.

(*) unless you convert mass into energy as Einstein says with his famous formula, but that's besides the point.

"1 kg can change..." I say no. A kg is always a kg.
    You're being difficult. I say mass DOES NOT change anywhere in the universe as well. We agree that part. That one is easy.

But you should study up your basic weight-gravity theory. Here is how I explain:

Hi. I'm Fabian Fnas a seventh grade student in Sweden. I had this question: The earth is spinning, so there is more centrifugal force towards the equator of the earth than the north pole, because the middle of the earth is spinning faster. So if you lived on the equator wouldn't you weigh less than some one who lived on the north pole,beacause there is more force trying to pull you away from earth? Thanks for your time and effort. I really appreciate it.

Gino J: You are right Fabian, It is that because of centripetal acceleration you will weigh a tiny amount less at the equator than at the poles. Try not to think of centripetal acceleration as a force though; what's really going on is that objects which are in motion like to go in a straight line and so it takes some force to make them go round in a circle. So some of the force of gravity is being used to make you go round in a circle at the equator (instead of flying off into space) while at the pole this is not needed. The centripetal acceleration at the equator is given by 4 times pi squared times the radius of the Earth divided by the period of rotation squared (4*pi2*r/T2). The period of rotation is 24 hours (or 86400 seconds) and the radius of the Earth is about 6400 km. This means that the centripetal acceletation at the equator is about 0.03 m/s2 (metres per seconds squared). Compare this to the acceleration due to gravity which is about 10 m/s2 and you can see how tiny an effect this is - you would weigh about 0.3% less at the equator than at the poles!

There is an additional effect due to the oblateness of the Earth. The Earth is not exactly spherical but rather is a little bit like a "squashed" sphere, with the radius at the equator slightly larger than the radius at the poles (this shape can be explained by the effect of centripetal acceleration on the material that makes up the Earth, exactly as described above). This has the effect of slightly increasing your weight at the poles (since you are close to the centre of the Earth and the gravitational force depends on distance) and slightly decreasing it at the equator.

Taking into account both of the above effects, the gravitational acceleration is 9.78 m/s2 at the equator and 9.83 m/s2 at the poles, so you weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the equator.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:02
    You're being difficult. I say mass DOES NOT change anywhere in the universe as well. We agree that part. That one is easy.

But you should study up your basic weight-gravity theory. Here is how I explain:

Hi. I'm Fabian Fnas a seventh grade student in Sweden. I had this question: The earth is spinning, so there is more centrifugal force towards the equa ...[text shortened]... and 9.83 m/s2 at the poles, so you weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the equator.
    But you are shifting the point.

You wrote: "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity."

And I say again that mass is mass even without gravity.
    One kg is still one kg everywhere. Do you measure mass or gravitation? Kg is mass, not gravitation.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:16

Hi. I'm Fabian Fnas a seventh grade student in Sweden. I had this question: The earth is spinning, so there is more centrifugal force towards the equa ...[text shortened]... and 9.83 m/s2 at the poles, so you weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the equator.
    Gino: Would you also explain to Fabian that your "answer" was lifted word for word from the Cornell University website?

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=310
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:204 edits
    But you are shifting the point.

You wrote: "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity."

And I say again that mass is mass even without gravity.
    One kg is still one kg everywhere. Do you measure mass or gravitation? Kg is mass, not gravitation.
    "The kilogram-force is a derived, non-SI unit of weight, defined as the force exerted by a one-kilogram mass in standard Earth gravity (equal to about 9.8 newtons)" (TAKEN FROM WIKI)

Mass is the amount of matter in an object.

To compare: "Mass is an intrinsic property of matter, whereas weight is a force that results from the action of gravity on matter" (Taken from Wiki)

''To convert between weight (force) and mass we use Newton's second law, F = ma (force = mass × acceleration). Here, F is the force due to gravity (i.e. the weight force), m is the mass of the object in question, and a is the acceleration due to gravity, on Earth approximately 9.8 m/s² or 32 ft/s² ) . In this context the same equation is often written as W = mg, with W standing for weight, and g for the acceleration due to gravity.

When applying the equation it is essential to use compatible units otherwise garbage will result. In SI units we see that a one-kilogram mass experiences a gravitational force of 1 kg × 9.8 m/s² = 9.8 newtons; that is, its weight is 9.8 newtons. In general, to convert mass in kilograms to weight (force) in newtons (at the earth's surface), multiply by 9.8. Conversely, to convert newtons to kilograms divide by 9.8. (Note that this is only valid near the surface of the Earth.)'' (TAKEN FROM WIKI).

I was not EXTREMELY clear I must admit but in the end we must be talking in the same universal language. Weight is RELATED to gravity if we are talking about Newton's theory.

Note that weight is relative since the bigger the objects are in the space the more they will magnetize(?)---I dont know the exact word--- other small objects. That is why we going around the sun and not vica versa.

So the WEIGHT of your mass would be more than twice as much in Jupiter.

Cheers!

edit: Sorry I am not able come up with new psyhics therories and took took info from Wiki Andy Handy!
  11. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:24
    Fictional Conversation FabianFnas vs Ginoj taken from:

😴
  12. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:26
    Gino: Would you also explain to Fabian that your "answer" was lifted word for word from the Cornell University website?

It is clear to everyone that it is a JOKE except you, of course he is not a 7th grader and I am not a Psyhiscs Proffessor.

😴
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:29
    It is clear to everyone that it is a JOKE except you, of course he is not a 7th grader and I am not a Psyhiscs Proffessor.

😴
    Your second answer about kilogram-force is straight from Wikipedia. Do you have any original thoughts?
  14. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:29
    Your second answer about kilogram-force is straight from Wikipedia. Do you have any original thoughts?
    Universal rules.
  15. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree