26 Jan '07 20:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 20:50
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Gino, you are a sick little boy. You can take information from wherever you find it, but you cannot pass that information off as your own words, which is what you did in your exchange with Fabian. Maybe you're the one who should move to the spirituality forum.. you might learn something about integrity
  4. Joined
    22 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 21:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Gould and feathers with the same mass weigh of course the same.

One unit of water is of course not heavier in US than in Sweden, even if US uses gallons and Sweden uses litres. Saying otherwise is trying to redefine mass.

But...

If you want to know which is heavier, same mass of gould and feathers - try to drop it on you feet and you'll see.
    One unit of water will not weigh the same on diferent spots on earth, as the gravity may slightly differ. One unit of water will most likely weigh less on the moon than on earth.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 21:53
    Amazing. Everybody here seems to understand the difference between weight and mass...and they still argue about it!
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 22:02
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Amazing. Everybody here seems to understand the difference between weight and mass...and they still argue about it!
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    That is exactly what I said. Mass is same everywhere in the universe but weight can change!

No, not everybody.
    I quote Gino again: "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity."

Anyone who thinks this don't know the difference between weight and mass. As long that 1 kg is a unit of mass, the mass cannot change from one spot on the earth from another, not even between the surface of the Eartch or Moon.

I learnt this in the lower grades...
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 23:35
    No, not everybody.
    I quote Gino again: "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity."
    Yes, but things he later said makes it clear he does know the difference. The statement you quote is just badly phrased. I mean, it's not even a sentence, is it? Ultimately gravity what?

I was just making an observation about the argumentative nature of some of these forums. Not that I'm immune myself!
  8. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 03:47
    That is exactly what I said. Mass is same everywhere in the universe but weight can change!

No, not everybody.

Anyone who thinks this don't know the difference between weight and mass. As long that 1 kg is a unit of ma ...[text shortened]... , not even between the surface of the Eartch or Moon.

I learnt this in the lower grades...
    Ok. I meant the ''weight of 1 kg mass my friend'' can change depending on gravitial force. I even gave examples about it.

Of course 1kg mass is same everywhere in the universe. I know you know that. You keep posting "the mass cannot change" over and over. I confirmed that over and over and now again.

So again "not 1kg of mass" but "1 kg of weight" or simply 1 kg can change if you are on the pole or on moon or Jupiter.

Eeze concept.
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 03:551 edit
    "In the physical sciences, weight is a measurement of the gravitational force acting on an object. In everyday parlance (and, for historical reasons, still in some technical terminology), "weight" is often used as a synonym for mass." Wiki

But I did not know it was same in everyday parlance in English. I just know from my own native language that they are two very different concepts.

Sorry, my English is poor, I APOLOGIZE for the misunderstanding again. I was not trying to be a smarta$$. I simply thought weight meant below:

"weight is a measurement of the -gravitational- force acting on an object" (from Wiki)

Now, I know that in everyday parlance they are synonym. If I knew that beforew I would talk all that things that everybody SIMPLY knows about.

edit: Sorry, again everybody except Handy Andy
  10. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 06:32
    as I say, mass stays the same and weight change base on gravity...duh everybody knows. and 1 pound of gold weigh less than 1 pound of feathers. those basic knowledge, especially the first one shouldn't be a good topic to argue on.
  11. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 07:05
    Originally posted by Ason Pigg2
    as I say, mass stays the same and weight change base on gravity...duh everybody knows. and 1 pound of gold weigh less than 1 pound of feathers. those basic knowledge, especially the first one shouldn't be a good topic to argue on.
    yea.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 08:421 edit
    Ok. I meant the ''weight of 1 kg mass my friend'' can change depending on gravitial force. I even gave examples about it.

Of course 1kg mass is same everywhere in the universe. I know you know that. You keep posting "the mass cannot change" over and over. I confirmed that over and over and now again.

So again "not 1kg of mass" but "1 kg of weight" or simply 1 kg can change if you are on the pole or on moon or Jupiter.

Eeze concept.
    Alright, now I see a shred of apologize from Gino. Now he says that "1 kg can change if you are in the pole or on the equator so ultimately gravity." is not what he meant, although that was what he wrote.

But this is what our discussion was all about. Now he conclude that kg is about mass and mass doesn't change so easily. I think he tried some rhetorical tricks, like
    (1) go besides the point where he actually is right quoting Wikipedia without saying so,
    (2) trying to belittle me by comparing another Fabian in the 7th grade with me like we have the same knowledge,
    (3) using authority-argument using scientific text from another sources without saying so.
    Easy rethorical tricks.

Gino, you can save face just by saying, sorry I thought we talked about gravity and how to weigh things, of course everyone is right saying the mass is indestructible (without converting into energy). But instead you stubbornly says that you're right (in another issue) and everybody else is all wrong and I prove it by quoting other secret sources.

Now you just say that "Of course 1kg mass is same everywhere in the universe." but you didn't know it before.
    You say further "I know you know that." But you've never said this before".
    And "I confirmed that over and over and now again." despite you've never did that yourself, only by quoting sources anyone doubted you've understood yourself.

In Swedish we have an expression - "to do a poodle". You've just did one, and moreover a false one. Doesn't credit you, not at all.

The next posting of yours in this subject will show your real face. Use this posting well.
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 11:46
    I still think the argument is based on a miscommunication, rather than any actual disagreement. I read it like this:

- Gino makes a statement. He knows what he means to say, and this is correct, but the statement is unclear/misleading.

- Fabien reads the statement. Again, he thinks he knows what the statement means, and he knows that it's false, but unfortunately it isn't what Gino intended it to mean.

- Fabien disagrees with the statement.

- Gino still thinks he said what he thought he meant. Therefore he interprets the reply as disagreeing with this interpretation. He therefore thinks Fabien is wrong.

- Gino and Fabien try to convince each other that they are right and the other is wrong, by the usual arguments. This goes round in circles because they both actually believe the same thing. They both know they are right, they both see someone disagreeing with them, therefore they assume the other is wrong.

"All communication fails, except by accident" - Wiio's Law No. 1.

We now return you to your usual programming...
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 18:25
    I still think the argument is based on a miscommunication, rather than any actual disagreement. I read it like this:

- Gino makes a statement. He knows what he means to say, and this is correct, but the statement is unclear/misleading.

- Fabien reads the statement. Again, he thinks he knows what the statement means, and he knows that it's false, but u ...[text shortened]... , except by accident" - Wiio's Law No. 1.

LOL....Now that everything is all straightened out 🙄 🙄 🙄
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 18:54

- Fabien reads the statement. Again, he thinks he knows what the statement means, and he knows that it's false, but u ...[text shortened]... , except by accident" - Wiio's Law No. 1.

I think you've analized the situation correctly.

I assumed the same from the beginning and therefore I quoted him and gave a brief explanation of the misunderstanding of that quotation, giving him a chance to correct his misstake before losing face. Instead he began to lecture me.

But this is a quite common missconception that measure of weight and measure of mass is the same thing. Within the same gravitational level then it doesn't matter in everyday life. But in physics it is a very big difference, of that we already know.

Gino is of course already forgiven and with this I also put this story behind us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree