1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 02:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

[b]Pertinent Facts (1 of 2) 'Gratitude': Our entertaining, interesting and informative conversation is a mere child (by any cyberspace standards a rambunctious and precocious child with 246 posts at the threshold of less than five days old). I'm grateful to Russ & Chris for this unique site, which enabled and made this community chat possible. Si ...[text shortened]... b

.............................................................................[/b]
    Pertinent Facts (2 of 2) 'Perspective': The practice or profession of counterfeiting fact with fiction or the genuine article with some imitation or reproduction or compromising truth with an admixture of attractive error in order to purvey something without value or to peddle falsehood began way back when, even before original sin. It was accomplished masterfully and its consequences were/still are profound. So 'Counterfeiter' would rank as the oldest/still alive and well 'profession' within my perspective. 'Murderer' ranks second oldest, since it first made the news soon after the disobedient first family got itself banished from the perfect environment of the garden. Murder still manifests itself in a wide range of human activities, including character assassination by reason of public lies as previously noted. Third oldest, in my view, would be 'Slave'. Specifically self inflicted slavery and bondage to some inordinate lust (power or wealth, chemical abuse or illicit sexual or approbation lust, or any other of many frantic searches for happiness which result in slavery to the details of life). This bondage human beings impose upon themselves. 'Prostituition' in its usual context of selling or bartering one's skin (birthright and/or soul) follows somewhere down the line. My thanks to each of you for your time, many varying perspectives and contrary opinions which succeeded in giving our brief conversation both life and traction. ~gb

2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 13:32
    [b]Pertinent Facts (2 of 2) 'Perspective': The practice or profession of counterfeiting fact with fiction or the genuine article with some imitation or reproduction or compromising truth with an admixture of attractive error in order to purvey something without value or to peddle falsehood began way back when, even before original sin. It was accomp ...[text shortened]... ~gb

.....................................................................[/b]
    I assume your counterfeiter is Satan in his serpentine guise. But wouldn't you consider Satan otherworldly?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 17:31
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I assume your counterfeiter is Satan in his serpentine guise. But wouldn't you consider Satan otherworldly?
    Would my right honorable friend HandyAndy, please reference the question

he raised and the answer given on page 12, post 7 only moments ago.

29 Mar '10 09:38 :: 0 recommendations

Are we wrong in assuming that the profession/practice you have in mind applies only to humans,
    and not to serpents, deities, spirits or other supernatural agents?

Incisive and thoughtful question, Andy. Answer, by definition, is that the focus

of our enjoyable chat includes both the angelic and human orders of creation.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Apr '10 17:56
    Would my right honorable friend HandyAndy, please reference the question

he raised and the answer given on page 12, post 7 only moments ago.

29 Mar '10 09:38 :: 0 recommendations

Are we wrong in assuming that the profession/practice you have in mind applies only to humans,
    and not to serpents, deities, spi ...[text shortened]... hat the focus

of our enjoyable chat includes both the angelic and human orders of creation.
    Ask a supernatural question, get a supernatural answer.
  5. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 02:50
    I guessed Satan. 😞
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 15:57
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I guessed Satan. 😞
    The devil you say.
  7. Joined
    08 Mar '10
    Moves
    09 Apr '10 17:326 edits
    Has anyone had the answer yet? I got to page 13 but gave up reading.

Edit: Ok so I decided to scan the last few pages for hints and have consolidated them for those catching up late 😉

Helpful Hint: 'world's oldest profession'.... oldest profession practiced universally

throughout the centuries of recorded history and still as popular as ever in 2010.

Edit: Another Helpful Hint: third, second and oldest human practices/professions

all involve a frontal attack on individual freedom, deprivation, loss or bondage.

Here's a third Helpul Hint: Some prostitutes sell their skin, some their birthright, some their soul. Some murderers kill the body of a single individual, some small groups of people, some take out entire populations with ethnic cleansing... yet other murderers destroy reputations with character assassination and public lies. The words 'prostitute' and 'murderer' are inclusive big umbrella words, which embrace these wide ranging activities. With the 'oldest profession' or practice there are 'means to a premeditated end' as well as 'end results'. Several of each have already been identified. Between the front end learned behaviors/skills and the results/consequences, there's a similar key word which accurately embraces and defines the function of this oldest profession.

Fourth Helpful Hint: This great, great grampy of 'prostitution' and great grandpa of 'murder' is not only alive and well but still functions at incredibly high level of octane on main streets, side streets, backstreets, alleys, Wall Street, Washington, D.C., cyberspace, internet blogs, chat rooms, public forums, bulletin boards, correspondence chess sites and elsewhere in penthouse suites, indifferent yachts, dark caves and other shadowy corners of the earth we dare not go. Despite the different venues, the means and learned skills as well as the premeditated ends are identical and unchanged from long ago. It's worst fear is being found out. ~gb

Edit Edit: In the hope that someone hasn't guessed this already I am going to try Deceiver
  8. Joined
    17 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 08:55
    prostitute and hocker
  9. Joined
    23 Apr '09
    Moves
    25 May '10 00:22
    sinner
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 May '10 08:58
    Originally posted by Mirakel007
    prostitute and hocker
    Like Adam and Eve and God?

Adam the [?] who paid God, the pimp, a rib to get some pleasure with Eve, the slut?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '10 14:48
    Originally posted by Rooklineandsinker
    Has anyone had the answer yet? I got to page 13 but gave up reading.

Edit: Ok so I decided to scan the last few pages for hints and have consolidated them for those catching up late 😉

Helpful Hint: 'world's oldest profession'.... oldest profession practiced universally

throughout the centuries of recorded history and still as popular as e ...[text shortened]... he hope that someone hasn't guessed this already I am going to try Deceiver
    In this puzzle I think it safe to assume we are talking about humans, maybe ancestors of humans but at least on the higher end of the intelligence spectrum. The concept of 'deceiver' is older than humanity, squirrels and some birds deceive their peers by making a show of hiding food when in fact they put nothing there which is a good definition of deception. When the search is for the oldest 'profession' aren't we safe in assuming this to be a profession of humans or at least human ancestors?
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    26 May '10 18:34
    A professional is a specialized, highly skilled person. To have professions you need agriculture to provide a food surplus so that non-food producers can thrive.

So, farmer.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 May '10 19:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    A professional is a specialized, highly skilled person. To have professions you need agriculture to provide a food surplus so that non-food producers can thrive.

So, farmer.
    farmer's boss.

perhaps the first profession was 'leader'
  14. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 01:03
    what about loner? lol

(well you know adam was alone)
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    01 Jun '10 03:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    farmer's boss.

perhaps the first profession was 'leader'
    Before agriculture nobody could afford to govern without providing food. Leaders were those who could lead the hunt!

You need farmers for professional leaders to exist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree