1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 19:20
    Unless it came from another universe, how can a star be older than the universe? No maths, please. Just reason.

My hair can't be older than my head either.
    well... what's left of my hair anyhoo.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 21:34
    Originally posted by humy
    correctly quoted scientific facts is not opinion
    Sometimes so-called scientific facts are just opinions.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 22:448 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Sometimes so-called scientific facts are just opinions.
    -and most said scientific facts from none fundamentalists and mentally abnormal people (i.e. normal people that make up the majority ) are facts, not opinions. Science isn't opinion as you try and fail to pretend.
    Religion, however, is; and that is putting it extremely mildly.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Oct '14 23:004 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Unless it came from another universe, how can a star be older than the universe? No maths, please. Just reason.

It can't. If someone thinks a star appears older than the universe, there must be something wrong with his model and/or his interpretation of the data.

It can if you were born without a head but with hair ( very bad deformity ) -but then you would be dead.
    (incidentally, you can really be born with hair because I learned that I was born with a load of black hair already on my head! I don't know how rare that is )
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 14:00

The universe is estimated to be 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years old. The oldest star HD 140283 is estimated to be 14.46 ± 0.8 billion years old. The central value for the age of the oldest star is older than the central value for the estimated age of the universe. However these figures come with errors and the lower bound of the age of the star is 13.66 billion years old, which is less than the central figure for the age of the universe by 100 million years. So the correct answer is that the estimate for the age of HD140283 is probably a little on the high side.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 16:33
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The universe is estimated to be 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years old. The oldest star HD 140283 is estimated to be 14.46 ± 0.8 billion years old. The central value for the age of the oldest star is older than the central value for the estimated age of the universe. However these figures come with errors and the lower bound of the age of the star is 13.66 ...[text shortened]... rrect answer is that the estimate for the age of HD140283 is probably a little on the high side.
    Your explanation is quite logical.

It occurred to me that to determine the possible age of the oldest star one would just deduct the length of time of a star formation from the age of the universe. I went looking for that figure - an estimation, I presume - and got lost in the theories of star formation without finding anything concrete. Accepting that such figure would depend on the type and size of star, I would like to have found something like "between 100 and 500 million years". No luck.

Do you know what the theory says?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 23:59
    It can't. If someone thinks a star appears older than the universe, there must be something wrong with his model and/or his interpretation of the data.

It can if you were born without a head but with hair ( very bad deformity ) -but then you would be dead.
    (incidentally, you can really be bo ...[text shortened]... ed that I was born with a load of black hair already on my head! I don't know how rare that is )
    My daughter was born with wispy black hair but it all fell out. She has
    blonde growing through now. Depending on how long your hair is it is
    unlikely to be more than a year old. So it really cant be older than your
    head!
  8. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 16:11

My theory is - totally theory- that the universe that we're in at present, was spewed out from a black hole that existed alongside many other universes at the time, IOW that was our Big Bang. Therefore you can have planets "older" than what we can observe at present. Does that make sense?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 16:27
    Originally posted by pawnpaw
    My theory is - totally theory- that the universe that we're in at present, was spewed out from a black hole that existed alongside many other universes at the time, IOW that was our Big Bang. Therefore you can have planets "older" than what we can observe at present. Does that make sense?
    No. 😏
  10. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 16:35
    No. 😏
    I'll wait for the experts.. 😏
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 18:524 edits
    wouldn't that only make sense if those planets that are older than our universe formed in another universe but then somehow entered into the black hole (or perhaps some kind of 'wormhole' if such a thing can exist? ) intact (extremely unlikely! ) and was thrown out into our universe when the black hole 'exploded' to form our universe? (this is making some huge assumptions ) Even if somehow that was what happened, surely any super-old planets would vaporize in the early stages of the big bang when our universe was extremely hot.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/origins/cern/ideas/bang.html

"...cosmologists believe the Big Bang flung energy in all directions at the speed of light (300,000,000 meters per second, a million times faster than the H-bomb) and estimate that the temperature of the entire universe was 1000 trillion degrees Celsius at just a tiny fraction of a second after the explosion. Even the cores of the hottest stars in today's universe are much cooler than that.
    ..."

I don't see how any molecule made of atoms or any macroscopic solid object or a star or planet can stay intact under those early conditions!
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Nov '14 04:13
    Originally posted by ptriple42
    Your explanation is quite logical.

It occurred to me that to determine the possible age of the oldest star one would just deduct the length of time of a star formation from the age of the universe. I went looking for that figure - an estimation, I presume - and got lost in the theories of star formation without finding anything concrete. Accepting that ...[text shortened]... omething like "between 100 and 500 million years". No luck.

Do you know what the theory says?
    It depends when you measure the age of a star from. I think molecular clouds could start collapse from any time after recombination. The collapse happens on a time scale determined by the orbital period of an atom in the nebula. The problem is it depends on the mass distribution of the nebula and varies on a more or less case by case basis. As a hack's guess though, suppose all the mass was concentrated at the centre of the solar system, the orbital period at 1 A.U. is 1 year. 1 astronomical unit is 1.5813×10−5 lightyears, making 2 light years about 126,470 A.U.s. The orbital period goes as a^3/2 so this gives a hack's guess of 45 million years for a 2 lightyear radius cloud to collapse.
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    04 Nov '14 06:57
    wouldn't that only make sense if those planets that are older than our universe formed in another universe but then somehow entered into the black hole (or perhaps some kind of 'wormhole' if such a thing can exist? ) intact (extremely unlikely! ) and was thrown out into our universe when the black hole 'exploded' to form our universe? (this is making some huge ...[text shortened]... r any macroscopic solid object or a star or planet can stay intact under those early conditions!
    You'd be surprised what can pass through a black hole.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '14 08:11
    I'll wait for the experts.. 😏
    Then you are at the wrong place. 😏
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Nov '14 08:52
    Then you are at the wrong place. 😏
    no, this is the right place because, excluding yourself, some of us here are science experts. You are just an ignorant arrogant trolling opinionated moron who is not a scientist and who arrogantly thinks he knows better than the scientists here and everywhere else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree