Abiogenesis and evolution: James Tour

Abiogenesis and evolution: James Tour

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
311d

@vivify said
Are you willing to state straightforwardly that it's possible An intelligent designer may have created life to evolve?

Are you willing to admit this without dancing around it in some verbose manner, that yes: evolution is scientifically proven but you believe a designer is responsible?
RJHinds and I used to go around and around on this in the Spirituality Forum.

He claimed the Creation narrative in Genesis happened exactly as written, that the cosmos and man were created in 6 24-hour days. I said "Couldn't it have happened in billions of years, in a natural, created by God process with created by God physics like we see in the world today? Why is your God so puny that this all had to happen in a magic-wand waving way, in a single week? What is time to God? Did he have a meeting to get to? Did he only have a week vacation time accrued? What was the rush?"

IP

Moves
311d
1 edit

@suzianne said

He claimed the Creation narrative in Genesis happened exactly as written, that the cosmos and man were created in 6 24-hour days. I said "Couldn't it have happened in billions of years, in a natural, created by God process with created by God physics like we see in the world today? Why is your ...[text shortened]... id he have a meeting to get to? Did he only have a week vacation time accrued? What was the rush?"
Who knows, Suzianne? My own theory is that he was mid - way through a Sunday series on the tele and didn't want to miss an episode, but I should add that this is not scientifically proven.

Edit: Of course they wouldn't have had 'Catch - Up' or the internet in those days, and maybe not even the Box Set, which I think adds credence to my theory.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
311d

@indonesia-phil said
I don't 'wish' for anything in this regard. I don't 'wish' that there is no god. Science doesn't 'wish' for anything. Unless and until you understand this most fundamental thing, you understand nothing about science.
Invoking talking snakes to avoid answering questions related science is not science either. Highlighting a talking snake doesn’t change the truth about mind over mindlessness either, but you can’t seem to do anything else.

IP

Moves
311d

@kellyjay said
Invoking talking snakes to avoid answering questions related science is not science either. Highlighting a talking snake doesn’t change the truth about mind over mindlessness either, but you can’t seem to do anything else.
Well, we all know that ignoring almost everything which is said to you is the major part of your 'discussion' technique, and it's you, not I, who has brought your talking snake back into 'highlight'. If you think that talking snakes help to put the case for the 'truth' of the biblical nonsense in which you believe, then so be it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
311d

@sonhouse said
@KellyJay
Did humans and dinosaurs live together?
Don’t know do you? Would the answer to that question alter the truth about what is foundational to the instructional properties guiding life’s forms and processes?

I will say I was once convinced that we did but now I have to acknowledge I simply don’t know.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
311d

@indonesia-phil said
Well, we all know that ignoring almost everything which is said to you is the major part of your 'discussion' technique, and it's you, not I, who has brought your talking snake back into 'highlight'. If you think that talking snakes help to put the case for the 'truth' of the biblical nonsense in which you believe, then so be it.
Leave the Biblical stuff out for the Spiritual forum I say here all the time, yet it comes up as if that too could alter the truth about mindlessness and mind. Exactly what in science suggest mindlessness could do all the work required to account for life's processes and forms?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
311d

@kellyjay said
Leave the Biblical stuff out for the Spiritual forum I say here all the time, yet it comes up as if that too could alter the truth about mindlessness and mind.
You’re the one propagating a spiritual causality in the science forum, then refusing to discuss it. Refusing to discuss scientific method and reasoning. Droning on and on about mindlessness and offering no alternatives while hiding behind this “I don’t want to talk about what I believe” fiasco.

You’re a flat earther and gravity denier, who doesn’t even accept that man landed on the moon.

Next minute you’re taking about everyone being totally evil but you’re saved along with a few others because you think some thoughts.

You’re an intellectual disgrace and you being Christianity into disrepute. You should be ashamed of yourself.

K
within reason

Moves
310d

@divegeester said
You’re the one propagating a spiritual causality in the science forum, then refusing to discuss it. Refusing to discuss scientific method and reasoning. Droning on and on about mindlessness and offering no alternatives while hiding behind this “I don’t want to talk about what I believe” fiasco.

You’re a flat earther and gravity denier, who doesn’t even accept that man ...[text shortened]... intellectual disgrace and you being Christianity into disrepute. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Unmitigated flapdoodle

Über-Nerd

Moves
310d

@kellyjay said
Leave the Biblical stuff out for the Spiritual forum I say here all the time, yet it comes up as if that too could alter the truth about mindlessness and mind. Exactly what in science suggest mindlessness could do all the work required to account for life's processes and forms?
Show us a mind detector, and we'll listen.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
310d

@kilroy70 said
Unmitigated flapdoodle
What is, my post?

Über-Nerd

Moves
309d
1 edit

@suzianne said

He claimed the Creation narrative in Genesis happened exactly as written, that the cosmos and man were created in 6 24-hour days. I said "Couldn't it have happened in billions of years, in a natural, created by God process with created by God physics like we see in the world today? Why is your ...[text shortened]... id he have a meeting to get to? Did he only have a week vacation time accrued? What was the rush?"
I’m not sure humans even had a word for “billion” when that was written, so clearly the time scale was ‘telescoped’ for readability.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
309d

@moonbus said
Show us a mind detector, and we'll listen.
When you write something and its meaning is understood where the symbols you used in your writing are understood that suggest a mind at both ends of the exchange? That is not the same thing as looking at some mixture of chemicals we can see and know what is in them, that would be just a mixture of chemicals nothing more, we can see and understand the composition and grasp the possible reactions in the substances, but meaning is only found in just composition and reactions of the what is in the mixture.

What we see in life is much more than that when we can map and understand the meaning because we know the meaning found in the arrangement of DNA tells us what we are looking at far beyond the simple chemical composition we find. Your DNA is in the neighborhood of a genetically spelled 3.5 billion letter name far more complex than typing out moonbus.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
309d

@kellyjay said
When you write something and its meaning is understood where the symbols you used in your writing are understood that suggest a mind at both ends of the exchange? That is not the same thing as looking at some mixture of chemicals we can see and know what is in them, that would be just a mixture of chemicals nothing more, we can see and understand the composition and grasp t ...[text shortened]... bstances, but meaning is only found in just composition and reactions of the what is in the mixture.
What on flat-earth are you rambling on about Kellyjay?

Über-Nerd

Moves
309d
3 edits

@kellyjay said
When you write something and its meaning is understood where the symbols you used in your writing are understood that suggest a mind at both ends of the exchange? That is not the same thing as looking at some mixture of chemicals we can see and know what is in them, that would be just a mixture of chemicals nothing more, we can see and understand the composition and grasp t ...[text shortened]... ghborhood of a genetically spelled 3.5 billion letter name far more complex than typing out moonbus.
There is no meaning or information in DNA. It’s just chemicals. You’re anthropomorphizing again. Humans represent the different chemicals by attaching letters to them, but that is arbitrary. We could just as well have attached colors or musical notes to them; it’s not really there in the chemistry, it’s just an arbitrary classification schema we impose on it. If we attach musical notes to the chemicals, you can whistle the tune; but that doesn’t prove a Mind composed it. It’s still just chemicals, no mind made them assemble in just that ‘melody’.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
309d

@Suzianne
Besides all that, the 7 day creation tale is far older than even Jewish faith.
It came from an even more ancient Egyptian creation tale very close to the Jewish and Christian one.
Besides that, the whole 6000 year deal came from HUMANS not a god.
Roger begat mary, mary begat billy, billy begat, etc, etc, etc. And of COURSE we are to believe all that begat begat begat stuff was totally accurate.
It's funny we have a couple hundred years of photography of places like the Grand Canyon and such and not much change has happened in all that time, yet we see formations where the rock layers are bent 180 degrees and how that could happen in what, a week? The forces to do that took millions of years to slowly bend those formations and heating the rocks to pliability.
RH says it was all made to LOOK like that just to fool humans into the wrong path which we call science.