1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 08:14
    Q. Is it remotely possible for the accumulating artificial intelligence of the internet to learn its way to becoming "unhackable" by human means?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 09:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Q. Is it remotely possible for the accumulating artificial intelligence of the internet to learn its way to becoming "unhackable" by human means?
    No, because the internet isn't an AI.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 14:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, because the internet isn't an AI.
    Don't quibble.

I'm not the only one who sees the threat.

https://www.recode.net/2017/7/15/15976744/elon-musk-artificial-intelligence-regulations-ai
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:17
    Don't quibble.
    Its not quibbling, its simply not true that the internet is an AI.

I'm not the only one who sees the threat.

https://www.recode.net/2017/7/15/15976744/elon-musk-artificial-intelligence-regulations-ai

Oh I have no doubt whatsoever that you got the idea from elsewhere. The problem is you didn't understand it.
    I do realise that AI is a potential threat, but the internet IS NOT and AI.

I think we need to develop AI a bit more before we can reasonably judge how dangerous it is.
    Of course, by the time we get there, it may be too late.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:32
    Its not quibbling, its simply not true that the internet is an AI.

[b]I'm not the only one who sees the threat.

Oh I have no doubt whatsoever that you got the idea from elsewhere. The problem is you didn't understand it.
    I do realise that AI is a potenti ...[text shortened]... reasonably judge how dangerous it is.
    Of course, by the time we get there, it may be too late.[/b]
    You're clueless about what I--- or anyone else, for that matter--- understands or doesn't understand.
    As in: completely clueless.
    The internet contains AI; the fact that it is growing there is beyond dispute.
    It is learning from all of the information we give it access to, feeding off of our countless transactions with it.
    Its intelligence is the sum total of all the information it has gathered, all of it is considered useful, even the cliché cat videos.
    ALL of it.
    Unless you think the AI part is limited to a flash drive somewhere?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:51
    You're clueless about what I--- or anyone else, for that matter--- understands or doesn't understand.
    As in: completely clueless.
    So your posts have no meaningful content. Got it.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 15:59
    So your posts have no meaningful content. Got it.
    Whatever value you place on the expression or the idea itself can pretty much be discounted.

The fact is, it is entirely possible and not just conceivable that AI continues to develop self-protection and defense from all exterior attacks or attempts to stop it from expanding its domain.
    And we are aiding it along.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 16:041 edit
    Whatever value you place on the expression or the idea itself can pretty much be discounted.
    Still devoid of content I see.

Your claim that I cannot know anything about what you think is starting to look like a good one.

The fact is, it is entirely possible and not just conceivable that AI continues to develop self-protection and defense from all exterior attacks or attempts to stop it from expanding its domain.

And the fact is that the internet is still NOT an AI.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 16:12
    Still devoid of content I see.

Your claim that I cannot know anything about what you think is starting to look like a good one.

[b]The fact is, it is entirely possible and not just conceivable that AI continues to develop self-protection and defense from all exterior attacks or attempts to stop it from expanding its domain.

And the fact is that the internet is still NOT an AI.[/b]
    This is how you're going to live your life?
    Straining at your leash over perceived but ultimately insignificant and otherwise moot points?
    Where do you think the AI is, exactly, if not on/in the internet?

The reality is, those who are paying attention see it not only as real (because it's already happening) but a grave danger.

And we are helping it.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 16:15
    This is how you're going to live your life?
    Only when I am bored.

Where do you think the AI is, exactly, if not on/in the internet?
    There are millions of AIs. Some can be rented on the internet. Some are on private servers. Some run on cell phones.
    There is no 'THE AI'.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 23:17
    Only when I am bored.

[b]Where do you think the AI is, exactly, if not on/in the internet?

There are millions of AIs. Some can be rented on the internet. Some are on private servers. Some run on cell phones.
    There is no 'THE AI'.[/b]
    Hate to break it to you, but the embarrassingly small portion of AI you enumerate isn't even the snowball on the tip of the iceberg of what lies beneath.
    This is why huge intelligence junkies like Musk (and many others) are deathly afraid of what looks to be inevitable.
    And it's the internet.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 08:26
    Hate to break it to you,.....
    I hate to break it to you, but I actually know something about the subject.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:05
    I hate to break it to you, but I actually know something about the subject.
    One can't tell from your short-sighted opinions on it.
    Elon Musk is not the only one who sees not only where it's headed but where we currently are; you apparently think you have better sources, so feel free to cite them.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:19
    Elon Musk is not the only one who sees not only where it's headed but where we currently are; you apparently think you have better sources, so feel free to cite them.
    I do not disagree with Elon Musk. I disagree with your claim that the internet is an AI (something Elon Musk has not said).

Funny seeing you use Elon Musk as a reference given that one of his companies, SpaceX, is, in your mind, a complete sham.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Jul '17 13:35
    I do not disagree with Elon Musk. I disagree with your claim that the internet is an AI (something Elon Musk has not said).

Funny seeing you use Elon Musk as a reference given that one of his companies, SpaceX, is, in your mind, a complete sham.
    You're (again) quibbling about minor points.
    Is it possible to have an internet without AI developing?
    Yes; but apparently we didn't see it and are now realizing the need for safeguards after the fact.
    Is it possible to have the AI which is developed and continuing to develop without the internet?
    Emphatically, no.

No one person is always right, despite your arrogance of pretense otherwise.
    One source thinking is folly.
    But here's a guy who is steeped in the exchange of information who sees the huge downside of that method of exchange currently in full swing.
    Hawking, same thing.Reveal Hidden Content
    https://genius.com/Stephen-hawking-on-the-threat-of-artificial-intelligence-annotated

Your disconnect is the restriction of AI to the isolated tools being employed while failing to see the bigger picture which shows the entire system is learning, beginning to show signs of self-preservation as well as initiating code where access is otherwise unknown or established.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree