1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 21:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    ...arriving at the correct answer would be enough to show that I understood how to solve the problem.

That's what I thought too, but even the work I did show usually wasn't good enough.
    In the example I gave (2x + 5 = 11) I might write:
    2x = 6
    x = 3

But this wasn't good enough, the teachers wanted to see more. Which is ridiculous because all one needs to do is to subtract 5 from both sides of the equation, and then divide both sides by two.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 22:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 22:49
    @lemon-lime
    I was under the impression ants found their way by sensing a line of chemicals in the path they walk, I think using their little 'antenna' whiskers. Seems if you cut off their legs, it would definitely have a detrimental effect on their ability to find their way.
    Like the joke about training spiders,
    the guy used negative feedback to train them, tell them to pick up a paper or some such, nope, cut off a leg, same thing, more legs cut off, nope.

Cut off all the legs, nope,

Conclusion:
    Cutting off legs of spiders makes them deaf.......
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 00:25
    @sonhouse said
    @lemon-lime
    I was under the impression ants found their way by sensing a line of chemicals in the path they walk, I think using their little 'antenna' whiskers. Seems if you cut off their legs, it would definitely have a detrimental effect on their ability to find their way.
    the guy used negative feedback to train them, tell them ...[text shortened]...

Conclusion:
    I was under the impression ants found their way by sensing a line of chemicals in the path they walk

That's what I thought too. And I recall reading about how an ant will occasionally follow a chemical trail around and around in an endless circle... lol.
    But I think their pheromones are mostly used to communicate with other ants. If one ant finds a food source the next thing you know there's a little two way highway with ants travelling in both directions.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 02:02
    @sonhouse said
    @lemon-lime
    the guy used negative feedback to train them, tell them ...[text shortened]...

Conclusion:
    Now that I've thought about it, ants probably use both methods for getting back to the nest... following chemical trails, and counting steps.
    Within the same species the only difference in chemical signatures would be between different colonies. Ants of the same colony all "smell" the same, and an ants chem trail would be the same as any other ant of the same colony. A relatively large area surrounding the nest is likely criss crossed with innumerable chem trails. So if an ants chem trail is indistinguishable from any other ants trail, then NOT counting steps means an ant could pass the nest by a foot or two and just keep on going.
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 05:151 edit
    @Duchess64

It's called humor Duchess. You should try it some time (or once even)
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 05:232 edits

8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 06:27
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes, this is all very well, but writing down how you arrived at the result defends you against arithmetic slips, which are always possible.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 20:551 edit

10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 13:57
    @Duchess64
    And if I am a racist bastard why did I marry a woman with a large percentage of American Indian and adopt half black kids and have half Hawaiian step kids? I can only assume you think I lie about all of that.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 19:32

12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 19:53
    @Duchess64
    Or not racist at all.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 20:563 edits

14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:063 edits
    @Duchess64

I never claimed to be completely free of racism, nobody on Earth is, including you.

I fight it when I feel it.

I responded to yet another troll attack, on Mchill.

You cannot respond courteously and continue your name calling ways no matter who says anything against it.

Do you seriously think anyone will change their POV because you call them racist, or troll or pathological liar?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '19 21:223 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree