1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '17 18:04
    https://www.sciencealert.com/new-ligo-virgo-gravitational-waves-neutron-stars-space-news-sept-2017

Three detectors working together helped pinpoint the location with ten times the accuracy of the last few detects!
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 01:48
    Pretty cool.... I understand that there are eventual plans to have an infarometer in space being comprised of 3 separate satellites separated by a great distance that would be even more sensitive than anything we could build on Earth
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 03:31
    Question regarding black holes:

Black holes die due to radiating energy (Hawking radiation). But how does radiation escape a the gravity of a black hole in the first place?
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 09:143 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Question regarding black holes:

Black holes die due to radiating energy (Hawking radiation). But how does radiation escape a the gravity of a black hole in the first place?
    I'm not an expert on this so will someone please correct me if I got any detail here not exactly correct;

The answer is Hawking radiation escapes directly from near but not below the event horizon thus that explains how it is possible to escape (else if from below the event horizon then that would be impossible because no radiation can escape directly from below the event horizon! ). The theory is that each time a particle of Hawking radiation escapes directly from near the event horizon, its equivalent mass (which is unimaginably minute), and slightly confusingly I would say, is taken from the singularity of the black hole even though there is considerable distance of separation between the event horizon and the singularity. For this to work, there has to be some kind of 'communication via gravity at a distance' between around the event horizon and the singularity.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 17:341 edit
    Originally posted by @humy
    I'm not an expert on this so will someone please correct me if I got any detail here not exactly correct;

The answer is Hawking radiation escapes directly from near but not below the event horizon thus that explains how it is possible to escape (else if from below the event horizon then that would be impossible because no radiation can escape directly from ...[text shortened]... 'communication via gravity at a distance' between around the event horizon and the singularity.
    There was a Scientific American article about that and they said a pair of particles popped out spontaneously and one of the pair goes in and the other goes out right by the event horizon so gradually the black hole loses mass till it evaporates probably as a black hole the size of a proton or some such and then explodes as a white hole and whatever is left is now a bundle of expanding gamma radiation.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 05:31
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://www.sciencealert.com/new-ligo-virgo-gravitational-waves-neutron-stars-space-news-sept-2017

Three detectors working together helped pinpoint the location with ten times the accuracy of the last few detects!
    OK so now it's time to find a graviton...Can G-Waves help?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '17 11:01
    Originally posted by @ogb
    OK so now it's time to find a graviton...Can G-Waves help?
    News at 11🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree