1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 11:101 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Let's say I was a researcher in education focusing on the emotional needs of children in the classroom. Now a particular group of children is performing very poorly. Coincidentally, they all come from a minority culture very different to the prevailing Western culture. Would this be a good time to consult my colleague, the educational anthropologist?
    I'd rather call the cultural studies in education crowd, who are explicit about the relationship being between culture and education. More duplication? Mmm...
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 11:192 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'd rather call the cultural studies in education crowd, who are explicit about the relationship being between culture and education. More duplication? Mmm...
    Is there a practical difference between cultural studies and anthropology? Cultural studies postdates anthropology as a discipline and has been dismissed as a fad, yet you automatically favour it above your pet hate.

"Cultural studies is an academic field grounded in critical theory, which combines political economy, communication, sociology, social theory, literary theory, media theory, film/video studies, cultural anthropology, philosophy, museum studies and art history/criticism to study cultural phenomena in various societies."

With all that 'duplication', surely your critique of anthropology applies to cultural studies in equal measure.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 11:231 edit
    And perhaps the cultural studies crowd would produce their own cultural anthropologist, like a cute ritual object.

I have to ask what your enormous beef with anthropology is. It seems personal. Of all the questionable 'sciences' out there, why pick on this one?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 11:28
    See the Wittgenstein quote above.

What is a holistic study of mankind? Can you give me an example of a paper that doesn't square perfectly into other fields?
    It's a Heidegger quote.

You used a Nazi to bash 'imperialist' anthropology.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:26
    Is there a practical difference between cultural studies and anthropology? Cultural studies postdates anthropology as a discipline and has been dismissed as a fad, yet you automatically favour it above your pet hate.

"Cultural studies is an academic field grounded in critical theory, which combines political economy, communication, sociology, social ...[text shortened]... ication', surely your critique of anthropology applies to cultural studies in equal measure.
    I love the fact that they don't pretend they are studying some elusive essence of "mankind" when in fact they are simply overlapping other fields.

Cultural studies are honest in that they study culture for itself, not as anthropology does, as a window to understand "mankind".
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:27
    It's a Heidegger quote.

You used a Nazi to bash 'imperialist' anthropology.
    Heidegger it is.

Oh, my! I used a Nazi? I wonder if he also thought the grass was green. Shall I revise that too?
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:28
    And perhaps the cultural studies crowd would produce their own cultural anthropologist, like a cute ritual object.

I have to ask what your enormous beef with anthropology is. It seems personal. Of all the questionable 'sciences' out there, why pick on this one?
    I already said what my beef was. I'm still puzzled why you seem so upset about this, but I have to confess that your irritation is mildly amusing.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:41
    Heidegger it is.

Oh, my! I used a Nazi? I wonder if he also thought the grass was green. Shall I revise that too?
    You have to admit it's ironic.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:41
    You have to admit it's ironic.
    It is! 🙂

Friends again?
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:44
    It is! 🙂

Friends again?
    I'll think about it.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:45
    I'll think about it.
    Think of me as an anthropological curiosity.

Convinced?
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:47
    Think of me as an anthropological curiosity.

Convinced?
    Are you prepared to don a clown suit and be dispatched on a raft to New Guinea?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:49
    Are you prepared to don a clown suit and be dispatched on a raft to New Guinea?
    I'm quite unprepared. I'm lacking a clown suit and a raft.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:53
    I'm quite unprepared. I'm lacking a clown suit and a raft.
    You lie.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '10 12:54
    You lie.
    Ok, I confess I do own a clown suit. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree