1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 12:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The dogs bark but the caravan rolls on...
    I'm hearing the dog. It doesn't bark convincingly.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 12:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'm hearing the dog. It doesn't bark convincingly.
    And it just keeps on rolling...
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 12:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The dogs bark but the caravan rolls on...
    The dog that the caravan rolled over yelps!
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 20:15
    Stephen Hawking thinks we should hide from aliens because they will invade and take our resources from their space ships! For realz!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 May '10 13:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Stephen Hawking thinks we should hide from aliens because they will invade and take our resources from their space ships! For realz!
    The only problem with that stance is any race capable of conquering interstellar distances will have resources available that would not require them to strip our world of its resources. For instance, suppose they need water. The moon Callisto has more water than the entire Earth, it seems certain now that the Earth got its water from cometary and asteroid bombardment, because the Earth lost almost all its water early on and so had to have had it replaced from outside sources. Space faring civilizations would have access to all those resources without resorting to stealing it from us, for one thing because the extra-planetary resources are thousands of times more available than what exists on Earth and usually in a far more shallow gravity well to get at those resources. Besides, I would think if a space faring people came this way, the only resources they would need would be replacement of that which was lost on the long journey which would not require a whole planet full anyway. One nice sized nickel iron asteroid with a surface of ice and some volatiles would do.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    02 May '10 14:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The only problem with that stance is any race capable of conquering interstellar distances will have resources available that would not require them to strip our world of its resources. For instance, suppose they need water. The moon Callisto has more water than the entire Earth, it seems certain now that the Earth got its water from cometary and asteroid b ...[text shortened]... l anyway. One nice sized nickel iron asteroid with a surface of ice and some volatiles would do.
    Suppose they need food... Or slaves... Or 'life-force'... Or warm-blooded hosts for their parasitic larvae...
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    03 May '10 05:31
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Suppose they need food... Or slaves... Or 'life-force'... Or warm-blooded hosts for their parasitic larvae...
    Or infrastructure...
  8. Amarillo , TX
    Moves
    13 May '10 05:05
    I was refering to the conditions that lead to our evolution and where else those conditions might exist. OR......might another set of condition still lead to a similar result? We as anthropologist have to be able to viiew ourselves as a product of the cosmos not just planet earth.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 May '10 05:33
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    And suppose their version of DNA is 4 sided quad helix with 12 letters, not much chance anything we grew would be consumable by these 4 headed behemoths, eh.

The real problem having aliens who are anywhere near our level of technology, that is to say, maybe only 50,000 years ahead of us, is the actual noise recorded by existing radio astronomy scopes has shown that if a civilization exactly at our level were anywhere in the galaxy, we could pick up our own crap of RF.

The problem with that is, if we assume, say a 1 million year span of a civilization, a pretty far fetched possibility considering our own luck at making lasting civilizations, there has been about 10,000 such million year slices of time since this galaxy was made.

So say there were 500 such civilizations at random in that time frame, chances are very slim, any one of them would have heard anything from any of the others because after that million year spree of RF, IR, maybe gravity waves, etc., they would all fly by and be gone by the time another such civilization popped up.

In other words, if we want to truly have a chance at catching the waves of an alien civilization, we better have the use of a time machine to have placed detectors every few thousand years from ten billion years ago to now to have a chance at actually picking out one of them. That is a distinct possibility considering all the stars SETI had already checked out to no avail.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    13 May '10 19:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And suppose their version of DNA is 4 sided quad helix with 12 letters, not much chance anything we grew would be consumable by these 4 headed behemoths, eh.

The real problem having aliens who are anywhere near our level of technology, that is to say, maybe only 50,000 years ahead of us, is the actual noise recorded by existing radio astronomy scopes h ...[text shortened]... at is a distinct possibility considering all the stars SETI had already checked out to no avail.
    Then they burn it as fuel.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 May '10 19:56
    Then they burn it as fuel.
    They use dead suns as anal beads.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    13 May '10 20:19
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    They use dead suns as anal beads.
    Listen, Montezuma, these bearded invaders are not gods!
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    25 May '10 20:39
    A thought just struck me as I studied the Paleolithic...

Anthropology is like the US Marine Corps: unnecessary but not harmful either; it's just another way to get the job done. The analogy here is USMC = Anthropology. USAF, US Army, USN are sociology, evolutionary biology, geology, etc.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 May '10 08:04
    A thought just struck me as I studied the Paleolithic...

Anthropology is like the US Marine Corps: unnecessary but not harmful either; it's just another way to get the job done. The analogy here is USMC = Anthropology. USAF, US Army, USN are sociology, evolutionary biology, geology, etc.
    http://xkcd.com/114/
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    26 May '10 17:24
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    http://xkcd.com/114/
    If you are going to Rick Roll me I will come to South Africa and hurt you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree