1. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    10 Sep '08 09:48
    there is a experiment going on. to send atoms two ways to hit each other, first trial seems to have went well, and to get both to hit may take till xmas/new year. some predict the end of the world others a breakthro in our understanding of the universe. me im going to have a xmas to remember even if its short.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    10 Sep '08 09:56
    A small bang for the CERN facility, a big bang for humankind.
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    2120
    10 Sep '08 10:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A small bang for the CERN facility, a big bang for humankind.
    I don’t think the facility is supposed to produce a ‘bang’;
    if it did then something must have gone horribly wrong.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    10 Sep '08 10:03
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I don’t think the facility is supposed to produce a ‘bang’;
    if it did then something must have gone horribly wrong.
    But it wouldn't sound as nice if I wrote:
    A small collision for the CERN facility, a big collision for humankind.
    would it?
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    2120
    10 Sep '08 10:20
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    But it wouldn't sound as nice if I wrote:
    A small collision for the CERN facility, a big collision for humankind.
    would it?
    True.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    10 Sep '08 10:52
    The Pig Bang
    http://www.wiu.edu/foliopress/pig/pigbang.htm
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    14520
    10 Sep '08 10:52
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    True.
    True AH dude as the fact that you are a Pawn downđŸ˜”
  8. SubscriberBaard
    gene vessel
    outside a box
    Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    48152
    10 Sep '08 22:35
    Originally posted by stoker
    there is a experiment going on. to send atoms two ways to hit each other, first trial seems to have went well, and to get both to hit may take till xmas/new year. some predict the end of the world others a breakthro in our understanding of the universe. me im going to have a xmas to remember even if its short.
    Their colliding heavy particles not atoms, I think its built for proton vs proton collitions... They're going to collide ions at a later stage like they are in New york in the Rel. heavy ion coll.

    Very exciting times were living in...

    Baard
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    13 Sep '08 15:45
    Originally posted by Baard
    Very exciting times were living in...
    Very unbalanced times $9/£5 billion could be spent so very differently to better serve the humanitarian crisis.
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    2120
    13 Sep '08 19:16
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Very unbalanced times $9/£5 billion could be spent so very differently to better serve the humanitarian crisis.
    Although I find it fascinating and I would be eagerly awaiting the discoveries that will come out of it, I just have to agree with you here for it begs the obvious question; “what is the hurry?”.

    We can always discover any secrets of the universe later and right now there is great poverty and suffering in many parts of the world and things are likely to get much worse so that there are far more urgent things that we should be spending our money on right now.

    I think we should spend more money on science but not this kind of science but science that will directly help to make our serious situation better such as solar power research to make solar power more economically viable etc and put all research that is done just for the sake of discovering the truth about something on hold until when we have finally removed the worst of our more Earthly problems.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    13 Sep '08 19:50
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Although I find it fascinating and I would be eagerly awaiting the discoveries that will come out of it, I just have to agree with you here for it begs the obvious question; “what is the hurry?”.

    We can always discover any secrets of the universe later and right now there is great poverty and suffering in many parts of the world and things are li ...[text shortened]... out something on hold until when we have finally removed the worst of our more Earthly problems.
    Exactually
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    13 Sep '08 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Although I find it fascinating and I would be eagerly awaiting the discoveries that will come out of it, I just have to agree with you here for it begs the obvious question; “what is the hurry?”.

    We can always discover any secrets of the universe later and right now there is great poverty and suffering in many parts of the world and things are li ...[text shortened]... out something on hold until when we have finally removed the worst of our more Earthly problems.
    You place your bets and makes your choice. The thing is, with fundamental research like this you don't know what the dividends will be ten years down the road. It might lead to greater understanding of fusion processes and such or who knows what, anti-matter reactions, the payoff could be huge.
    There is one thing that titillated me about this: there is a search for information about this one particle that seems to go between its matter and anti-matter components trillions of times per second. Now THAT got my attention. Think what that would mean if we figured out how to turn ordinary matter into anti-matter, then recombine in a reactor.
    Don't forget, tons of money is being spent on alternate energy and such by just about every advanced country so developments will come, are coming in fact.
  13. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    4650
    13 Sep '08 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You place your bets and makes your choice. The thing is... [text shortened] there is a search for information about this one particle that seems to go between its matter and anti-matter components trillions of times per second. Now THAT got my attention. Think what that would mean if we figured out how to turn ordinary matter into anti-matter, then recomb ...[text shortened]... gy and such by just about every advanced country so developments will come, are coming in fact.
    Are you talking about the Higgs-Boson particle?
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Joined
    14 Jan '07
    Moves
    58559
    13 Sep '08 20:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It might lead to greater understanding .... the payoff could be huge.
    Might, could-

    If we spent our money feeding the starving they would live, putt irrigation systems on to Affrican farms and they would yeald food. Purify water and childern would be safe to drink it.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    14 Sep '08 05:33
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Might, could-

    If we spent our money feeding the starving they [b]would
    live, putt irrigation systems on to Affrican farms and they would yeald food. Purify water and childern would be safe to drink it.[/b]
    One less war in the world and there will be a lot of money freed to make people to not having to starve. War is expencive, CERN is not in that perspective.

    How much did the war in Afganistan cost? And what did it achieve?
Back to Top