1. weedhopper
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 05:38
    Yet, his guest, Dr. Bill Frist insists it is. Do I believe a guy who makes jokes for a living, or the guy with the letters M.D. after his name?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 07:081 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Yet, his guest, Dr. Bill Frist insists it is. Do I believe a guy who makes jokes for a living, or the guy with the letters M.D. after his name?
    Believe nether based solely on their profession or qualifications. Instead listen to their arguments, do your own research, then make your own conclusions.
    You should give some positive bias to the man with M.D. after his name but do not simply believe everything he says without question.
    Swine Flu is a real virus which kills real people so of course it is a 'threat'. The real issue is how much of a threat is it? Will it wipe out half of humanity, do barely more damage than normal seasonal flu, or will it be somewhere in between? To what extent can we affect which of those scenarios plays out by being proactive and what will our various options cost us?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 23:37
    Bill Maher's anti-capitalism makes him right because pharmaceutical companies are evil. The fact the other guy was citing the latest medical journals didn't seem to stop him.

The argument that the vaccine was worthless because flu viruses mutate was hilarious.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 12:49
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    It is somewhat alarming hearing people say that getting imunizations from such things as the swine flu may become mandatory. Of course, the drug companies make a killing, but what about government? They throw billions of dollars at such "problems" that enrich the drug companies and then try to herd the populace into getting the immunizatinos. Are they truly concenred about the health of the populace or are there other motives? We all know that Big Government and Big corporations have a symbiotic relationship and this is just further evidence of it.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 05:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    It is somewhat alarming hearing people say that getting imunizations from such things as the swine flu may become mandatory. Of course, the drug companies make a killing, but what about government? They throw billions of dollars at such "problems" that enrich the drug companies and then try to herd the populace into getting the immunizatinos. Are they trul ...[text shortened]... nt and Big corporations have a symbiotic relationship and this is just further evidence of it.
    Sounds like a conspiracy theory. However, you need to make more of an argument than that. You appear to be saying that the governments primary motivation is to increase profits for drug companies, yet you haven't actually presented any evidence whatsoever for that. Instead you have presented as evidence the fact that the government is highly motivated. Rather poor logic don't you think?
    I could equally claim that the governments insistence on mandatory vaccination is evidence that the flu is a real threat. All it really shows is that the government is motivated - it doesn't point at which motivations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree