1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 17:36
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/07/17/1304459110 for the abstract or the full article if you don't mind paying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23410137 for a media report.

They have signature whistles which are specific to each individual. They will always respond to a call of their signature whistle by calling it back. They don't respond to other whistles and don't respond to calls of signature whistles from other groups.
  2. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 20:44
    DeepThought: Great that you share this! Appreciate it.

Besides. The US-military I know have done research on how dolphins (don't know the kind of dolphin) use their (sonar?, is that the word, like radar but in water). For you who happens to never have taken a course in biology: ... Want to explain how this ... dolphin sonar works but my english is lacking. A part in their throats have evolved to produce, pointed (directed), high sounds (almost like how bats navigate). I remember being taught by my professor this wonderful fact.

~~That dolphins can locate an object the size of a coin (of course, we are not talking the side of a coin). Under water from more than 10 meters (don't remember exactly).~~ !

You know how the US military are. Lots of money to spend. Better to be spent on research than guns if you ask me.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 22:28
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/07/17/1304459110 for the abstract or the full article if you don't mind paying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23410137 for a media report.

They have signature whistles which are specific to each individual. They will always respond to a call of their signature whistle by calling it back. They ...[text shortened]... respond to other whistles and don't respond to calls of signature whistles from other groups.
    YouTube

They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
    No one you see, is smarter than he,
    And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,
    Flying there under, under the sea!

Everyone loves the king of the sea,
    Ever so kind and gentle is he,
    Tricks he will do when children appear,
    And how they laugh when hes near!

They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,
    No-one you see, is smarter than he,
    And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,
    Flying there-under, under the sea

Happy Days!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 05:44
    Originally posted by bikingviking
    You know how the US military are. Lots of money to spend. Better to be spent on research than guns if you ask me.
    They have to do research on dolphins or the environmentalists will complain that their (US Navy) sonar is interfering with dolphin navigation.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 11:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They have to do research on dolphins or the environmentalists will complain that their (US Navy) sonar is interfering with dolphin navigation.
    It can certainly damage their hearing.

The volume of offensive sonar (as well as oil drilling sonar used for detecting
    oil in the seabed) is incredible.

And can stun, let alone deafen, marine animals nearby.

But probably the bigger problem is the general increase in noise from all the ships
    chugging overhead.

They make an amazing amount of noise underwater and that noise travels a long
    long way through the water.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 16:12
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    It can certainly damage their hearing.

The volume of offensive sonar (as well as oil drilling sonar used for detecting
    oil in the seabed) is incredible.

And can stun, let alone deafen, marine animals nearby.

But probably the bigger problem is the general increase in noise from all the ships
    chugging overhead.

They make an amazing amount of noise underwater and that noise travels a long
    long way through the water.
    It might even be one of the causes of whales beaching and dolphins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree