1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    30 Sep '17 15:50
    Farts and poop for manure. Way underestimated.

    https://phys.org/news/2017-09-global-methane-emissions-agriculture-larger.html#nRlv
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    30 Sep '17 16:30
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Farts and poop for manure. Way underestimated.

    https://phys.org/news/2017-09-global-methane-emissions-agriculture-larger.html#nRlv
    Aren't poops and farts a part of the charbon cycle in the atmosphere?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    30 Sep '17 18:59
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Aren't poops and farts a part of the charbon cycle in the atmosphere?
    Sure but cattle growing is a human thing and there are millions of cattle around now and they are prolific farters🙂 That puts methane directly into the atmosphere, a green house gas some 20 times stronger than CO2.

    They are now realizing there is more methane coming off vegetation than previously thought.

    You might say, *food for thought*🙂
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    30 Sep '17 19:50
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Sure but cattle growing is a human thing and there are millions of cattle around now and they are prolific farters🙂 That puts methane directly into the atmosphere, a green house gas some 20 times stronger than CO2.

    They are now realizing there is more methane coming off vegetation than previously thought.

    You might say, *food for thought*🙂
    Right so, but still, this methane, isn't it a natural part of the natural carbon cycle?
    Poops and farts are not any kind of fossil emissions, are they?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    30 Sep '17 20:05
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Right so, but still, this methane, isn't it a natural part of the natural carbon cycle?
    Poops and farts are not any kind of fossil emissions, are they?
    Of course not but for instance, methane is being stored in frozen tundra and in methane ice deep in the ocean, blocks of pure methane goo just wating for a temperature rise to explode to the surface as a giant bubble of methane. Those triggers can be pulled by increase in temperature, like what is happening now in the Arctic, Methane is in danger of an explosive increase and the same with oceanic methane ice. It can overwhelm the greenhouse effect of CO2 and we will be in real trouble climate wise.
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    ook ook ahchoo
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    01 Oct '17 03:552 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Of course not but for instance, methane is being stored in frozen tundra and in methane ice deep in the ocean, blocks of pure methane goo just wating for a temperature rise to explode to the surface as a giant bubble of methane. Those triggers can be pulled by increase in temperature, like what is happening now in the Arctic, Methane is in danger of an exp ...[text shortened]... ice. It can overwhelm the greenhouse effect of CO2 and we will be in real trouble climate wise.
    ...blocks of pure methane goo just wating for a temperature rise to explode to the surface as a giant bubble of methane.

    This is no laughing matter. One gigantic earth fart and we can all kiss our hinderpooferpoppers goodbuy. It will be an apocalyptical apoplectic pooferpopper the likes of which the world has never seen... nor smelled.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    01 Oct '17 15:06
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]...blocks of pure methane goo just wating for a temperature rise to explode to the surface as a giant bubble of methane.

    This is no laughing matter. One gigantic earth fart and we can all kiss our hinderpooferpoppers goodbuy. It will be an apocalyptical apoplectic pooferpopper the likes of which the world has never seen... nor smelled.[/b]
    But quite the relief.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    01 Oct '17 17:31
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]...blocks of pure methane goo just wating for a temperature rise to explode to the surface as a giant bubble of methane.

    This is no laughing matter. One gigantic earth fart and we can all kiss our hinderpooferpoppers goodbuy. It will be an apocalyptical apoplectic pooferpopper the likes of which the world has never seen... nor smelled.[/b]
    Don't know if you have seen those blocks of methane ice but they are rather large, like a meter across just lying on the bottom of the ocean. One way of forestalling that and make money in the bargain is to mine the stuff, bring it to the surface safely and get the methane out and turn it into fuel, natural gas which burns very cleanly in infernal combustion engines anyway and would then turn into CO2 which is a safer greenhouse gas than Methane by about 20 times.
Back to Top