1. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 19:45
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    3 seems to be the minimum requirement for actual physical existence.

But what do I know, it may only seem that way because I just happen to be a 3D entity residing in a 3D universe.
    Actually our universe has at least four dimensions. Don't forget time.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 20:06
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    Actually our universe has at least four dimensions. Don't forget time.
    Time (as well as space) is needed for the 3D objects inhabiting that space to move around. Time isn't a 3D physical object such as a planet, or a grain of sand, or a DVD disk recording of a physicist explaining the difference between space, the objects inhabiting that space, and time...
  3. Germany
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 21:37
    Time (as well as space) is needed for the 3D objects inhabiting that space to move around. Time isn't a 3D physical object such as a planet, or a grain of sand, or a DVD disk recording of a physicist explaining the difference between space, the objects inhabiting that space, and time...
    Due to relativity, time and space are intertwined. Hence the phrase "spacetime." In special relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional space known as a Minkowski space, wherein coordinate transformations are described by Lorentz transformations.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 21:44
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Due to relativity, time and space are intertwined. Hence the phrase "spacetime." In special relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional space known as a Minkowski space, wherein coordinate transformations are described by Lorentz transformations.
    O_O

Watch out for his slider: dual carburetor flux capcitor.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 23:59
    In math, we have all the dimensions we need to make the numbers crunch. But in physical reality there are 3 dimensions only. Time is a dimension in math, but not in physical reality.

I realize that this attacks a deeply embedded myth, but maybe there is loot involved.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 00:54
    Originally posted by @apathist
    In math, we have all the dimensions we need to make the numbers crunch. But in physical reality there are 3 dimensions only. Time is a dimension in math, but not in physical reality.

I realize that this attacks a deeply embedded myth, but maybe there is loot involved.
    'Loot' is just 'tool' backward, so use as you feel comfortable.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 05:39

We have to think about spacial dimensions, and temporal dimensions.
    Time as being a temporal dimension exists in physical reality as it takes time to read this posting.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:02
    Time (as well as space) is needed for the 3D objects inhabiting that space to move around.
    Exactly. Hence a forth dimension is required to specify where an object is.

Time isn't a 3D physical object such as a planet, or a grain of sand, or a DVD disk recording of a physicist explaining the difference between space, the objects inhabiting that space, and time...
    Of course time isn't a 3D object. Nobody suggested it was. What a stupid thing to say.
    Dimensions aren't 3D objects. You clearly haven't been paying attention. Dimensions are a way to measure things in relation to each other. In this case, they are a means to measure 4D objects.
    A 3D object today is not identical to the same object tomorrow, so if you wish to specify exactly which object you are referring to, you need to include time ie four dimensions are the minimum required to absolutely specify such an object. We can go further and say that for a given particle, there are more dimensions such as charge and spin that are required to specify the particle, but usually we don't call properties with a limited number of values 'dimensions'. Spin has both magnitude and direction so may be more than one dimension.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:08
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Which probes do you think are off course? We did really good at Pluto.
    The Pioneer probes I believe.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:09

I believe time springs from the true value of 3 being dependent on one's position in the universe. If there is not an absolute value of 3 then it can be said we only have a probability of having 3 of anything which gives the illusion of time.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:37

That is incorrect. Due to relativity, time and space are intertwined. Hence the phrase "spacetime." In special relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional space known as a Minkowski space, wherein coordinate transformations are described by Lorentz transformations.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:40
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    'Loot' is just 'tool' backward, so use as you feel comfortable.
    I'm okay with that. You have no idea.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:41
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    We have to think about spacial dimensions, and temporal dimensions.
    Time as being a temporal dimension exists in physical reality as it takes time to read this posting.
    Actually, only now exists. Past and future do not. Time is a math dimension, and not a physical reality dimension.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:46
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    Exactly. Hence a forth dimension is required to specify where an object is.
    That isn't quite accurate. We do not need a time dimension to identify where an object is.

I know the myth is super-embedded for you.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 08:49
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    That is incorrect. Due to relativity, time and space are intertwined. Hence the phrase "spacetime." In special relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional space known as a Minkowski space, wherein coordinate transformations are described by Lorentz transformations.
    Spacetime is a math term. Minkowski space is a math term. Reality has three dimensions.

Reality is not math, I know that is hard to understand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree