1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 May '10 09:211 edit
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    just for clarification when I stated the series doesn't converge I thought of it in the way almov did, but because ( as fabian pointed out ) it is a series of only one term im going with fabian, if terms were separated by commas It doesn't converge.

On a side note: It does leave me confused? Does the sum continue in a non-distinct way?
    Then again, this single term could be evaluated at a point other than pi, ie (pi+22) ect...how do we get around this logically? Or by the definition does the existance of any finite sum imply convergence?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 May '10 23:19
    Generally when speaking of convergence one speaks of infinite sequences, series, etc.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    11 May '10 00:07
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Then again, this single term could be evaluated at a point other than pi, ie (pi+22) ect...how do we get around this logically? Or by the definition does the existance of any finite sum imply convergence?
    If it is a finite sum of finite terms then it is convergent. (Just add them up)
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 May '10 00:22
    So I guess the question is, are finite sequences and series said to converge? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure about this.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 May '10 04:01
    Originally posted by amolv06
    So I guess the question is, are finite sequences and series said to converge? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure about this.
    if inf(S) = sup(S) when i -> infinity, then it is convergent, isn't it?
    Then it must follow that inf(S) = sup(S) when i -> n also is convergent, right?

In math classes we mostly deal with the hard stuff, and the hard stuff is here when i -> infinity. When when i -> n, then the answer is trivial, i.e. not very hard stuff, therefore we seldom deal with this.

(n is the max number of terms in a series)
  6. Joined
    22 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 May '10 04:04
    I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the notation.

Specifically, what are inf, and sup?
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 May '10 04:09
    ^^ Girlfriend left her account logged in -- sorry, it's confusing sharing a machine sometimes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree