1. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 08:19
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I misremembered where you were from. If they migrate as far as DR Congo then your sister needs to be very careful when handling them. Possibly the Ebola belt has more to do with whether they are regarded as edible or not.
    I guess we also need to be careful not to eat fruit that has been nibbled by fruit bats.

I use Linux out of a general preference for UNIX systems. Windows is this clunky pain that goes wrong over time.
    The techniques I listed for accents should work equally well on Linux.

For more information on KazetNagorra's tip see this article:
    http://spanish.about.com/od/writtenspanish/a/dia_ubuntu.htm

Note that it doesn't matter that much what actual physical keyboard you have, but rather what you tell your computer you have. Although if you do use the US International layout you may find what you get doesn't always match what is on your keys.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 10:494 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I guess we also need to be careful not to eat fruit that has been nibbled by fruit bats.

[b]I use Linux out of a general preference for UNIX systems. Windows is this clunky pain that goes wrong over time.

The techniques I listed for accents should work equally well on Linux.

For more information on KazetNagorra's tip see this article:
    http:/ ...[text shortened]... the US International layout you may find what you get doesn't always match what is on your keys.[/b]
    No, the list of keystrokes in the document from your earlier post didn't work either - attempting Alt + 0222 just switched browser tab. However, as a result I found that "Alt Gr" has a different effect from "Alt" and gives a collection of extra symbols, None of which are useful for French words, but I can now produce this set: "¹²³€½¾ŧ←↓→øþæßðđŋħł«»¢“”nµ" which is nice - I can write in Icelandic and Danish, but not French.

Edit: Reading the article you posted in the second post gives me the relevant clue, I'm writing on a notebook and there are no dead keys - I can live without accents, but the extra symbols I do have are handy. þanks for the help.

Edit²: Aha Alt GR + ~ and then a gives à so I can do it after all.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 12:00
    No, the list of keystrokes in the document from your earlier post didn't work either - attempting Alt + 0222 just switched browser tab. However, as a result I found that "Alt Gr" has a different effect from "Alt" and gives a collection of extra symbols, None of which are useful for French words, but I can now produce this set: "¹²³€½¾ŧ←↓→øþæßðđŋħł«»¢“”nµ" which is nice - I can write in Icelandic and Danish, but not French.
    I learnt about it in the old days when it was built into the BIOS and was practically independent of the OS. However I see from Wikipedia that it is now handled by the OS and Linux does not implement it, so I am not sure how you are getting characters. Maybe the bios does still do it but not with the same character set as Windows.

If you want to explore more try these pages:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/32764/using-alt-keycode-for-accents
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Oct '14 22:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I learnt about it in the old days when it was built into the BIOS and was practically independent of the OS. However I see from Wikipedia that it is now handled by the OS and Linux does not implement it, so I am not sure how you are getting characters. Maybe the bios does still do it but not with the same character set as Windows.

If you want to explor ...[text shortened]... .com/questions/32764/using-alt-keycode-for-accents
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey
    Linux proper, in other words the kernel, wouldn't do that, that's a problem for the user space parts of the operating system. So it depends on the distribution.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '14 11:33
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/27/released-ebola-nurse-kaci-hickox-works-for-cdc-her-lawyer-is-a-white-house-visitor/
  6. Germany
    Moves
    05 Nov '14 14:41
    It's probably a British keyboard layout. 'a didn't work, neither did `a. Thanks anyway.
    I have grown accustomed to setting my keyboard settings to US international even when I have a keyboard with a different layout (the button will then just do something other than what the key itself says on the keyboard). I have to type in at least three different languages with dozens of different diacritics, so it would be time-consuming to use Alt-+ combinations every time.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    05 Nov '14 18:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I have grown accustomed to setting my keyboard settings to US international even when I have a keyboard with a different layout (the button will then just do something other than what the key itself says on the keyboard). I have to type in at least three different languages with dozens of different diacritics, so it would be time-consuming to use Alt-+ combinations every time.
    I read a story from the 80's where a systems administrator put in a new terminal and to check it worked tried to log into the system, which he did successfully. So he stood up, and to check again tried to log in; the log in failed. So he sat down again and logged in again. Whenever he was standing he'd fail to log in and whenever he was sat down he managed to log in. It turned out that two of the keys on the keyboard where switched round. When he was sat down he'd touch type and not be looking at the keyboard. When he was stood up he'd be jabbing down with his fingers and looking at the keyboard. That was why the standing log in failed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree