1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 02:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The fact remains he is not a nuclear physicist like he claims. MS degrees are almost entry level for the big boys. Are you disputing he got canned for being involved with a clear creationist legal proceeding?

I'll say it once more: When someone comes into an investigation, scientific, forensic, medical, whatever, if that person has a built in agenda, any ...[text shortened]... and those ends are clearly stated. He is just another apologist for the creationist fairy tale.
    You do not know what you are talking about because Dr. Gentry is a nuclear physicists and he was given an honorary doctorate because of his discoveries. However, there are many others with school earned doctorate degrees that agree with him on the fact that the Earth is young.

YouTube

The Instructor
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 10:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You do not know what you are talking about because Dr. Gentry is a nuclear physicists and he was given an honorary doctorate because of his discoveries. However, there are many others with school earned doctorate degrees that agree with him on the fact that the Earth is young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PY0zzh8G3c

The Instructor
    Having an honorary doctorate is not having a doctorate, it is just a pat on the back. He cannot in reality be called a doctor since his only real work was at the Ms level.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Aug '13 20:55
    Having an honorary doctorate is not having a doctorate, it is just a pat on the back. He cannot in reality be called a doctor since his only real work was at the Ms level.
    There have been many other people, who have been given honorary doctorate degrees because of their work and each of them are called doctor. This is no different. What is the purpose of the honorary doctorate degree if one can not be called by the title? It is completely idiotic for you to even suggest such a stupid thing.

The Instructor
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 09:45
    There have been many other people, who have been given honorary doctorate degrees because of their work and each of them are called doctor. This is no different. What is the purpose of the honorary doctorate degree if one can not be called by the title? It is completely idiotic for you to even suggest such a stupid thing.

The Instructor
    So I have this honorary doctorate say in physics, I put down on my resume, I can do this nuclear research leader job because I have been educated. I have an honorary doctorate in nuclear physics.

The job pays 200K a year and I think I am qualified sir.

Sure, that and a cup of coffee will get you a dime.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '13 13:11
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    RJ's God is all powerful so can avoid that, my comments wrt God were personalized to him. I realize we differ on this - I don't apply scientific criteria to the existence of God - the more-or-less absence of non-biblical evidence is a fairly natural thing for an all powerful entity - so I'm an agnostic. I don't need to rule out finitely powerful gods i ...[text shortened]... stence of faster-than-light neutrinos is evidence for the existence of Gremlins 😉
    I will come back with more thoughts later...
    But my point was all science and nothing to do with the atheist/agnostic debate.

I completely agree that RJHinds Gödel argument doesn't hold any water on any level,
    and agree with your refutation of it.
    I was just nitpicking the point that there is nothing that says [in principle] that if
    gods exist science couldn't detect them.

Now you may be able to create god concepts that could never be detected ever, but
    unless you specify what gods you are talking about I have to assume you are talking
    about gods in general.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 11:482 edits
    [off topic]
    I have two proposals for solving this perennial problem of religion being constantly put into the science forum where it doesn't belong and were it spoils it for us who have a genuine interest in science.

Firstly, put a ban on any reference to any creationist website or creationist videos. Any post with reference to a creationist website in a science forum should be autocratically removed and, if someone persists for too long trying to repeatedly make such reference to a creationists website or creationist video, they will be banned from the science forum. We scientists, and those with a genuine interest in science in the science forum, don't watch them anyway so they just make useless clutter in the threads.
    This would, of course, mean banning RJHinds from doing this like he frequently does.

Secondly, anyone that frequently and persistently posts with a religious agenda in this science forum and who never shows a genuine interest in science for its own sake should be banned from this science forum. After all, this is supposed to be a SCIENCE forum for people that have at least a genuine passing interest in science.
    This would, of course, mean banning RJHinds from this forum for he has NEVER shown a genuine interest in science. When has he ever asked a question about science without a religious agenda -answer, never! If he or anyone wants to speak against science for their religious agenda, they are perfectly free to do that in the Spirituality forum and I have no objection for that BUT, keep religion OUT of the science forum!

I would prefer if both of these above proposals would be implemented but, at the very least, I think just a ban on any reference to a creationist website or creationist video in the science forum would be better than nothing!

Who agrees with these proposals?
    Excluding those with a religious agenda, does anyone DISagree with these proposals and, if so, why so?

P.S. I have also posted the above in the 'Site Ideas Forum' as the OP of my
    'New rules to stop religious rhetoric hijacking the science forum' thread.

[/off topic]
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 11:57
    Originally posted by humy
    [off topic]
    I have two proposals for solving this perennial problem of religion being constantly put into the science forum where it doesn't belong and were it spoils it for us who have a genuine interest in science.

Firstly, put a ban on any reference to any creationist website or creationist videos. Any post with reference to a creationist website in a s ...[text shortened]... 'New rules to stop religious rhetoric hijacking the science forum' thread.

[/off topic]
    I don't suppose RJ reading this would make him think twice about posting nonsense creationist videos here in the science forum.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 12:46
    I've often wondered if there was some way to keep religion out of this forum, and the only idea I've had, apart from censorship by forum-ban which should not have to be used in any forum, is a serious, concerted effort by all scientists and also non-scientists interested in scientific topics to stamp on EVERY single post which has no purpose beyond beating the religion drum. That means: NO arguing with RJH, or anyone else who wants to play these games, NO attempting to reason with him (you can't), NO response of any kind, other than a click on the Alert Moderator button. We'd drive the mods mad for a short while, then the unrepentant offenders would all have their forum bans in place, the ones who didn't want to lose their total posting rights would leave the science forum, and we'd have the result we want.

Does anyone think it could possibly work, and if not, why?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 12:501 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I've often wondered if there was some way to keep religion out of this forum, and the only idea I've had, apart from censorship by forum-ban which should not have to be used in any forum, is a serious, concerted effort by all scientists and also non-scientists interested in scientific topics to stamp on EVERY single post which has no purpose beyond beating th e'd have the result we want.

Does anyone think it could possibly work, and if not, why?
    If you notice, we did try that, look at the last posts by RJ (What is science?), we just left that unanswered. I think ignoring him would be best. Just post over him and go on with the original science story.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 15:42
    If you notice, we did try that, look at the last posts by RJ (What is science?), we just left that unanswered. I think ignoring him would be best. Just post over him and go on with the original science story.
    The problem is, ignoring him won't make him go away from here. That's why I think only banning him from being here will do.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Aug '13 23:27
    There has occasionally been some reference to using robomod to get rid of posts, simply by collective alerting by enough people. Is there anything to that or is it just an RHP urban myth?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 00:26
    Originally posted by humy
    The problem is, ignoring him won't make him go away from here. That's why I think only banning him from being here will do.
    You guys are against freedom of thought and expression in science. You require everyone to think like you or be quite.

The Instructor
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 00:32
    You guys are against freedom of thought and expression in science. You require everyone to think like you or be quite.

The Instructor
    Or be quite what?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 01:08
    Or be quite what?
    That was a typing error. I meant quiet. That means shut up your mouth.

The Instructor
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 08:472 edits

The Instructor
    You guys are against freedom of thought and expression in science.

No, YOU are. Your don't want us to express any thought that contradicts your religion or your rhetoric so it is YOU who is against OUR freedom of thought and expression in science. We are not against your freedom of thought -you can express all your religious crap in the Spirituality forum all you want and none of us reject to that BUT NOT HERE because this is a SCIENCE forum. And you have nothing to say about science and have NEVER expressed any interest in science let alone any understanding of it. You have NEVER made any contribution to a discussion about any science.
    You should be permanently banned from this forum.
    This is a SCIENCE forum, NOT a religious propaganda forum, so you have no right to put your religious rhetoric here.
    If you want to preach your religious crap, go to the Spirituality forum where it belongs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree