1. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    19 Apr '23 21:58
    Yeah, nobody has visited an exoplanet, so this title is CLICKBAIT! LOL!

However, the old exoplanet thread is history. And since so very many have been discovered since it was closed, I thought I'd create a new thread.

There are now officially named 5332 exoplanets, located in a confirmed 3999 solar systems. The Webb Space Telescope has been tremendously successful, not in actually finding them, but in analyzing the atmospheric makeup of those that are discovered.

Webb has made a few discoveries of exoplanets in its own right.

I do believe science is going to find life elsewhere, but so far they've only added more and more evidence to just how special our home planet of Earth really is. And the odds of ever finding "intelligent" life elsewhere are...pardon the pun, absolutely astronomical. Even if it exists, the Universe seems almost designed to keep way too much distance between galaxies and solar systems for contact to ever be made.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    21 Apr '23 16:27
    Already up 6 more to 5338.

4001 different solar systems.
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    28 Apr '23 16:51
    Now up to 4155 planetary systems! Discoveries are being made at a phenomenal rate!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Apr '23 03:171 edit
    @Liljo
    Suppose there are actual aliens within a few hundred light years.
    So they maybe intercept our TV and decide to make their own TV show when they make their big reveal as to whether there are aliens, what would that TV show be like?
    TV signals are now out about 70 light years so any advanced aliens maybe could see them.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    30 Apr '23 15:53
    @sonhouse said
    @Liljo
    Suppose there are actual aliens within a few hundred light years.
    So they maybe intercept our TV and decide to make their own TV show when they make their big reveal as to whether there are aliens, what would that TV show be like?
    TV signals are now out about 70 light years so any advanced aliens maybe could see them.
    Sonhouse,

I'm trying really hard to just stay off the debates forum, the general forum, etc. I come here and make one little thread about exoplanets. RHP has spoken. There is evidently no interest. A couple of dislikes (I'm sure from someone who claims to be a champion for "inclusion"😉.

Seriously, I'm done now. You can do your own whimsical imaginings.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '23 01:091 edit
    @Liljo
    I am not sure what your post is all about, making jokes out of the discovery of planets? Is that it? What is your problem with these discoveries?
    One was just found they think may be a water word, about 70ish light years away.
    I am really interested in those planetary discoveries, it adds to our knowledge of the universe and maybe one day we will have the tech to visit those planets.
    But my question was partly serious, our radio and TV signals are in a sphere over 100 light years in radius, 200 light years across a sphere of expanding radio wave signals and OUR technology could read those signals a hundred light years away so it is not out of the realm of possibility there are aliens with at least our level of tech within 100 ly. Of course, if such a planet exists 100 LY away, we would not hear a return if they did such, for another one hundred years, not exactly like a telegraph.

When I had my Apollo training, Apollo Timing and Tracking, one exercise I did in class was to lock on to a Martian probe circling Mars.
    I had to find the direction to Mars since it was daylight so I had to research exactly what direction to aim the classroom radio telescope.
    Our scope was for students and something like 12 feet in diameter.
    The amazing thing for me was actually phase locking onto the radio beam coming from that probe.
    I am a ham, got my first license when I was 14 and been active on the air ever since.
    And what I was thinking ATT, was, that probe puts out FIVE watts of RF and I am locking onto that probe which happened to be over 100 MILLION miles away.
    I was thinking that was incredible since the power of that signal was the same as a CB radio, 5 watts.
    Now we see the Voyagers still talking to us and they are some 14 billion miles out
    and it is clear we would hear that probe if it was TWENTY billion miles away so it is clear if we were on those planets and had our tech they WOULD be able to read those signals.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    01 May '23 12:34
    @sonhouse
    Too long, didn't read. Couldn't get past the part where you accuse me of making jokes about planet discoveries.

That is ludicrous. I keep a very close watch on the website I noted. I've started two threads on the subject. I thought YOU were the one making jokes.

Obviously, neither of us can understand the other. Kind of a pattern here in America these days.
    Go your way.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 May '23 16:11
    @Liljo
    You were making jokes on your first post so I just replied with some of my own.
    Didn't mean to come off as sarcastic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree