1. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 16:07
    The dimensions of the current Queensland floods are incredible. Torrential rains like dispersed waterfalls keep coming, and coming. Still it hasn't stopped. Major disruption of the functioning of state is expected, with all mains electricity needing to be off until the water recedes, whenever that will happen. A lot of roads etc are washed out.There is a run on supplies, and shelves are getting empty. A rising sad death tol lis coming to light.
    Fast huge storm north caused an "inland tsunami" as one resident said. Brisbane further south is the capital. Its river is swollen and parts of the CBD will be inundated. An area greater than France and Germany together is under water.

Yet another extreme weather incident. The warming oceans are giving up more water to the atmosphere. Until dewpoint it stays there. And builds. It is amazing how much water can be held above us in that state, until the rain begins to fall, so heavy, so fast and so constant.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 01:462 edits
    Originally posted by Taoman
    The dimensions of the current Queensland floods are incredible. Torrential rains like dispersed waterfalls keep coming, and coming. Still it hasn't stopped. Major disruption of the functioning of state is expected, with all mains electricity needing to be off until the water recedes, whenever that will happen. A lot of roads etc are washed out.There is a run eld above us in that state, until the rain begins to fall, so heavy, so fast and so constant.
    yes i was watching cars being swept away on the bbc, also i heard there is danger of snakes traversing up the river. I think it was last year, or the year before a young boy was killed by a crocodile that had traversed its way up the flood plane into human settlement. But this year is just huge!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40996681/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 02:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes i was watching cars being swept away on the bbc, also i heard there is danger of snakes traversing up the river. I think it was last year, or the year before a young boy was killed by a crocodile that had traversed its way up the flood plane into human settlement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40996681/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/
    Yeah, Queensland has got the lot, floods, poisonous snakes and crocodiles!
    If its not fires, its floods. They happen more suddenly too, but floods stretch out over miserable weeks. They are still to reach their peaks here yet.

Its not just here of course. Its just happening more and more globally. You and Europe are having more extreme blizzards. You can't say any one event is due to global warming, but overall it fits the predictions of increasing extreme events - "once in a 100 years" events are now once in 40 years.
    I don't necessarily think it is all due to human causes, but its all achangin' that's for sure.
  4. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 02:09
    To add to the snakes and crocodiles, the extreme floods are peaking with king tides!
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 07:21
    Seems mother nature has smiled on us just when we needed it the most.
    As we braced for king tides and the peak of the Brisbane river, it has suddenly stopped raining.
    I reckon another day of rain , right then( 12th of Jan) , would've meant a hell of a lot more deaths and damage.
    Even though my suburb is not affected, the whole city is is damage control mode and clean up mode.
    Public transport has been hugely disrupted and even now, after 3 days of sunshine, we cant get bread to our supermarkets.

And to think, only a couple of years ago we were worried about drought!!

If in not for the Wivenhoe dam and the controlled release of water from there, we would have been looking at a disater on a much larger scale.

Tis fair to say that everyone in this state has been affected by this tradgedy.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 08:32
    Bull sharks spotted in the streets of Ipswich ...
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 10:49
    New Orleans flooding was nothing compared with Brisbane flooding. Comments?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 10:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Those hipster jazz musicians desrved what they got in New Orleans. We ,god fearing people in Queensland, deserve to be on the wordlwide news. 🙂

Of course the New Orleans floods were worse,(If I remember right)). How many died there?
    We have 16 fatalities so far, but still 70 missing, and since they have been missing for over a week now, they well may be dead.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 11:48
    New Orleans was a lot worse in terms of suffering and destruction. Then again, it was hit by a hurricane.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 12:21
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    New Orleans was a lot worse in terms of suffering and destruction. Then again, it was hit by a hurricane.
    The Brisbane flooding comes from the nature itself. The New Orleans flooding was because the canal banks broke by faulty engineer work, i.e. man made. It was just a matter of time, just a disaster to wait for.

I just compare. A loss of life is the same wherever it occurres.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 13:15
    The Brisbane flooding comes from the nature itself. The New Orleans flooding was because the canal banks broke by faulty engineer work, i.e. man made. It was just a matter of time, just a disaster to wait for.

Yeah, well if we had another day of rain that Wivenhoe dam would've bust and who knows what damage could've happened. Would that have been faulty engineering for not knowing how much water to expect?
  12. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 16:15
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah, well if we had another day of rain that Wivenhoe dam would've bust and who knows what damage could've happened. Would that have been faulty engineering for not knowing how much water to expect?
    Its all bigger than just Queensland and New Orleans. Brazil, Philippines and others are copping this too. Much of central and south eastern Australia is receiving much more rain and some flooding too. The La Nina event and the drier, drought bearing El Nino weather event that went before have both been much stronger than previously.

I am convinced of climate warming, although think that its multiple causes and solution is still a debatable matter. The swings in ocean temperatures has much to do with the extremes happening in both north and south hemispheres. And with the global climate in such an unstable mode, extremes are at both ends, winters and summers. Gaia has a distinct fever. hot, cold, shivers, sweating.

I really hate to think if something like this happens again in the short term, after all the struggle and heartbreak and infrastructure damage. Poor New Orleans is still trying to get itself together and it will take months to get things back to functioning order in Queensland, providing nothing of the same happens in the near future again. To me its not looking good. Am I a pessimist or a realist?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 16:35
    Is it now? Then why do you say these floods are worse?

Fabian shows how much he hates the US. Again.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '11 20:57
    Its all bigger than just Queensland and New Orleans. Brazil, Philippines and others are copping this too. Much of central and south eastern Australia is receiving much more rain and some flooding too. The La Nina event and the drier, drought bearing El Nino weather event that went before have both been much stronger than previously.

I am convinced of cli ...[text shortened]... ame happens in the near future again. To me its not looking good. Am I a pessimist or a realist?
    From where I'm sitting, you're pretty much on the money.

These weather anomolies have been forecast years ago by certain people that either all guessed the same thing, or had aa insight into things to come.

The forecast up here is for more rain soon. Prolly til March. The weather forecasters have been known to be wrong , but they've been on the money for the last three months.
    After all, you cant really go wrong when there is a cloud the size of QLD hovering over us...
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    16 Jan '11 02:401 edit

I am convinced of cli ...[text shortened]... ame happens in the near future again. To me its not looking good. Am I a pessimist or a realist?
    If you look at
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deadliest_floods>
    then it seems the 5 deadliest floods were all in China - mostly about 70 years ago.
    (Not sure why the Indonesian tsunami is not incuded there somewhere)

The number of deaths is of course not a true measure of climate change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree