1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 May '19 17:26
    @humy said
    the only way to truly understand why is in terms of maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. Those equations are so difficult to understand in intuitive terms that THERE IS NO layperson way to explain them simply. This is often the case in science that there isn't a simple layperson way of explaining some part of it and the only way to understand it is to spend YEARS intensively ...[text shortened]... the gaps between the wires proving those gaps are much less in diameter than half of its wavelength.
    You wrote a lot of BS to basically say you don't understand it well enough to explain it. Why do you waste time writing such nonsense? If you don't know don't write anything.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Albert Einstein
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    17 May '19 20:3719 edits
    MetalBrain

I was explaining why YOU cannot understand it, NOT me.
    As it happens I do understand it but was careful before not to say so until now because didn't want to rub your nose in it because most people don't understand it and not understand it because its to hard to is nothing to be ashamed of. But now you just throw that back in my face, I say so now.
    The fact you cannot understand it isn't my problem but yours.
    No need to be condescending to me because of it.
    In case you didn't notice, I haven't been condescending to you for failing to understand it.
    As I repeatedly pointed out before only for you to ignore it, Einstein wasn't right about everything and he certainly wasn't right about that; there are some things that cannot be explained in simple layperson terms but can nevertheless be understood well enough by a smart person.
    Grow up.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 May '19 01:49
    @humy said
    MetalBrain

I was explaining why YOU cannot understand it, NOT me.
    As it happens I do understand it but was careful before not to say so until now because didn't want to rub your nose in it because most people don't understand it and not understand it because its to hard to is nothing to be ashamed of. But now you just throw that back in my face, I say so now.
    The fact you ...[text shortened]... n simple layperson terms but can nevertheless be understood well enough by a smart person.
    Grow up.
    You don't come across as being confident at all, especially after 19 edits.

https://collegeinfogeek.com/feynman-technique/
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 May '19 05:422 edits
    @metal-brain said
    You don't come across as being confident at all, especially after 19 edits.
    This comment shows you have moronically learned absolutely nothing from what I just said; "confident" has nothing to do with it. I guess your delusional arrogance is incurable.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 May '19 05:56
    @humy said
    This comment shows you have understood absolutely nothing I just said; "confident" has nothing to do with it.
    What you said is meaningless and contributes nothing to understanding the subject.
    Why is it that when you have nothing to offer you still comment? This is not the first time you have asserted your "faith" based approach to fellow scientists. Imagine taking that approach to politicians. It is deeply flawed. Incompetent people are in all careers including science and physics.

Stop assuming.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '19 12:53
    @metal-brain said
    But why? Why does the whole wave get reflected instead of part of it? Are you sure it is the whole wave? Doesn't some get through?
    Some of it has to do with a property called 'evanescent field':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_field
  7. Albion
    Moves
    19 May '19 13:55
    @Metal-Brain
    Waves don't exist it's a metaphor for the complexity heralded between transmitter and receiver.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 May '19 14:00
    @sonhouse said
    Some of it has to do with a property called 'evanescent field':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_field
    Not sure why you think that helps. We know some electromagnetic energy is getting through with shorter wavelengths. We see the light getting through so that is evident, but what about the longer wavelengths? It seems like you are saying if part of the wave is reflected the whole wave reflects as well. Why?
    Are there exceptions to the rule? ELF waves are very long, longer than a submarine. Are they getting through wire mesh? If so, why?
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 May '19 14:06
    @entropysail said
    @Metal-Brain
    Waves don't exist it's a metaphor for the complexity heralded between transmitter and receiver.
    I am very skeptical of that claim. Why all the writings about wave/particle duality? Dirac's wave function? Relativistic doppler effect?
  10. Albion
    Moves
    19 May '19 15:18
    @Metal-Brain
    I think the method involved is in careful examination of one's instruments.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    19 May '19 17:341 edit
    @entropysail said

What does that supposed to mean?
    Waves exist.
  12. Albion
    Moves
    20 May '19 13:00
    @humy
    The complexity of wave interaction can be said to be 'real'. Do you suppose hemisphoidal interaction rates account for perceptual anomalies and the understanding of depth?
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 May '19 13:265 edits
    @entropysail said
    @humy
    The complexity of wave interaction can be said to be 'real'. Do you suppose hemisphoidal interaction rates account for perceptual anomalies and the understanding of depth?
    What's the point of making yet more gibberish statements that nobody sane understands?
    To 'understand' (an abuse here of the word 'understand' ) complete gibberish you must think complete gibberish i.e. with only gibberish thoughts.
    You could at least have the decency to study REAL conventional physics terminology and then use that REAL physics terminology instead of your personal made-up gibberish terminology.
  14. Albion
    Moves
    21 May '19 10:401 edit
    @humy
    Can a flickering dualistic measurement of a curve be perceived as a straight line? Do our eyes perceive more than one dimension but only make sense of things 'logically'?

Edit. Have you checked the brain instrument for this?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '19 18:11
    @humy said
    What's the point of making yet more gibberish statements that nobody sane understands?
    To 'understand' (an abuse here of the word 'understand' ) complete gibberish you must think complete gibberish i.e. with only gibberish thoughts.
    You could at least have the decency to study REAL conventional physics terminology and then use that REAL physics terminology instead of your personal made-up gibberish terminology.
    This dude is the poster boy for troll. I PM'd him about all his BS posts and he told me he has no training in science, maybe some kind of artist looking at things from that perspective. Which means he should be posting somewhere else but not here. Spiritual? It is no coincidence most of his so-called posts are not answered. We should do the same. Once was enough for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree