1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 May '19 03:45
    @humy said
    Answered in intuitive layperson terms and here I will try to keep the technical terminology to a minimum, and the following applies to all the electromagnetic spectrum thus not only to radio but also to visible light and also applies whether we are thinking of the electromagnetic radiation in terms of being 'waves' or 'photons' (photons are particles as opposed to waves): ...[text shortened]... there are no gaps for it to pass through!

P.S. I know of at least one loophole in this above law.
    You seem to be dismissing wave/particle duality. Isn't a photon a particle and a wave? Is it wrong to say a photon emitted from an atom is of a certain wavelength?

What was the wavelength of the photons in the double slit experiment often referred to in regards to the uncertainty principle?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '19 07:082 edits
    @metal-brain said
    You seem to be dismissing wave/particle duality.
    No, I don't 'seem' to be "dismissing wave/particle duality".
    What said had nothing to do with "wave/particle duality".
    This shows either you understood nothing I said or you don't know what wave/particle duality is.
    Isn't a photon a particle and a wave?
    It can behave as Either so, at least in that narrow sense, yes, its both.
    What has that got to do with what I said?
    Is it wrong to say a photon emitted from an atom is of a certain wavelength?
    Nothing. And I didn't imply it was wrong to say that.
    What was the wavelength of the photons in the double slit experiment often referred to in regards to the uncertainty principle?
    Don't understand exactly what you are asking here.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 May '19 12:41
    @humy said
    No, I don't 'seem' to be "dismissing wave/particle duality".
    What said had nothing to do with "wave/particle duality".
    This shows either you understood nothing I said or you don't know what wave/particle duality is.
    Isn't a photon a particle and a wave?
    It can behave as Either so, at least in that narrow sense, yes, its both.
    What has that got to do with w ...[text shortened]... quote] Don't understand exactly what you are asking here.
    Before a photon enters the slit does it have a wavelength?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '19 13:51
    @metal-brain said
    What would make you think it matters? Any photon has a wavelength associated with it. 1000 micron wavelength is in the IR band. So what?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 May '19 20:222 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Yes.
    All photons have a wavelength and "Before" or "After" whatever would have nothing to do with that.
    What about it?
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 May '19 23:33
    @sonhouse said
    What would make you think it matters? Any photon has a wavelength associated with it. 1000 micron wavelength is in the IR band. So what?
    It has to have a wavelength small enough to go through the slit, right?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 May '19 23:34
    @humy said
    Yes.
    All photons have a wavelength and "Before" or "After" whatever would have nothing to do with that.
    What about it?
    What was the wavelength of the photons before and after entering the slit?
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '19 04:39
    @metal-brain said
    What was the wavelength of the photons before and after entering the slit?
    The same wavelength.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 May '19 13:46
    @humy said
    The same wavelength.
    So a wave went in and a wave came out. No surprise there.

What if the wavelength of the photon is longer than the slit? Will it enter the slit and exit with the same wavelength?
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '19 14:126 edits
    @metal-brain said
    What if the wavelength of the photon is longer than the slit? Will it enter the slit and exit with the same wavelength?
    Yes.
    Are you going somewhere with this?
    It is possible to observe a change in wavelength of a photon via either relativistic effects or the photons changing which medium they are travelling through but neither of those two things has anything to do with the photon going or not going through slits nor the uncertainty principle so I don't understand why you brought those two things up in this context.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '19 15:06
    @humy said
    Yes.
    It is possible to observe a change in wavelength of a photon via either relativistic effects or the photons changing which medium they are travelling through but neither of those two things has anything to do with the photon going or not going through slits nor the uncertainty principle so I don't understand why you brought those two things up in this context.
    Do you know what the slit opening distance is? I don't think I heard that one spelled out. Does it have to be say tied to a particular wavelength, like 1000 microns for IR but 2000 microns will more or less be blocked?
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '19 17:322 edits
    @sonhouse said
    Do you know what the slit opening distance is? I don't think I heard that one spelled out. Does it have to be say tied to a particular wavelength, like 1000 microns for IR but 2000 microns will more or less be blocked?
    Not completely sure what you are asking here but if the slit opening distance is much less than half the wavelength of the photon then it would generally block the photon from going through while if the slit is much more than half the wavelength of the photon then it would allow the photon through.
    So, for example, if the slit opening is, say, about 800 microns, it would tend to let through IR of 1000 microns but block IR of 2000 microns.

I am pretty sure what I said above is all correct but it has been several DECADES since I did my university physics courses and my memory isn't always perfect so I tried to find a weblink that confirms what I said above but couldn't find one that says one way or the other; Anyone?
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 May '19 19:17
    @humy said
    Yes.
    Are you assuming?
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 May '19 21:03
    @metal-brain said
    Are you assuming?
    No, I am knowing.
    I did physics at university and passed with reasonable grades.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    31 May '19 23:25
    @humy said
    No, I am knowing.
    I did physics at university and passed with reasonable grades.
    Yet you have been wrong about GR. Deepthought has been wrong about GR and he has a phd, right?

Why should I believe you? I think you are guessing. You do not know at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree