Freeze

Standard memberKellyJay
Science 07 Mar '15 11:39
  1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148637
    07 Mar '15 11:39
    What freezes faster hot water, cold water, why?
  2. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    805
    07 Mar '15 14:18
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What freezes faster hot water, cold water, why?
    Ice boils faster than room temp. water..uses less energy...
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52681
    07 Mar '15 18:27
    Originally posted by woadman
    Ice boils faster than room temp. water..uses less energy...
    Take a look at this:
    http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/heat_ice_steam.htm#.VPtCZfnF-sQ
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2443
    07 Mar '15 20:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What freezes faster hot water, cold water, why?
    Cold water freezes faster. Why? Before hot water can freeze it first has to become cold water.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78913
    08 Mar '15 00:35
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Cold water freezes faster. Why? Before hot water can freeze it first has to become cold water.
    I made that mistake over in Spirituality. There's something called the Mpemba effect, first noticed by a Tanzanian school student called Erasto Mpemba, there are various ideas as to why this should be so. The latest theory is that it is something to do with hydrogen bonds. The effect is not consistent. There is no doubt about it, water is weird stuff.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    08 Mar '15 15:35
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What freezes faster hot water, cold water, why?
    You cannot freeze hot water at all. Because when water freezes it is not longer hot.

    Not in normal atmosphere it doesn't.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    6894
    08 Mar '15 16:50
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I made that mistake over in Spirituality. There's something called the Mpemba effect, first noticed by a Tanzanian school student called Erasto Mpemba, there are various ideas as to why this should be so. The latest theory is that it is something to do with hydrogen bonds. The effect is not consistent. There is no doubt about it, water is weird stuff.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
    "The Mpemba Effect, named after Erasto Mpemba, is the observation that, in some circumstances".

    Quite.

    In general, though, cold water freezes faster than hot.
Back to Top