1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 21:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If there were deviations from the inverse square law, that would be solid evidence of hidden curled up dimensions. What it proves? That the universe is more than we see for sure. It would be Nobel prize material for one thing.

That would open up string or Mbrane theory as having some real street cred.
    Bear in mind that general relativity predicts a small 1/r³ correction to the inverse square law. Not only do they have to show deviations from the inverse square law, but that the deviation isn't explainable by general relativity.
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 05:22
    Originally posted by woadman
    Have you heard of Max tegmark ? I've senn him in TV documentaries. He believes in the Multiverse.
    He's a crackpot!

There, I said it.
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 03:57
    at the big bang there was "inflation" of space/time that produced gravitational "WAVES". Even these waves have not been detected/verified. Just like gravitons are beyond the realm of todays scientists. Gravity is too tough to figure out. We need a new Einstein..
  4. Germany
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 12:431 edit
    Originally posted by woadman
    at the big bang there was "inflation" of space/time that produced gravitational "WAVES". Even these waves have not been detected/verified. Just like gravitons are beyond the realm of todays scientists. Gravity is too tough to figure out. We need a new Einstein..
    The prospects of measuring gravitational waves are a bit better than those of measuring gravitons (in technical terms, measuring a graviton would prove the quantization of gravitational waves; gravitational waves do not rely on a quantum description). Efforts to measure these waves are currently ongoing and it would not surprise me if they would succeed in the coming decades.

By the way, gravitational waves (if they exist) are generated all the time - they are just the carriers of the gravitational force, like the graviton.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 18:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The prospects of measuring gravitational waves are a bit better than those of measuring gravitons (in technical terms, measuring a graviton would prove the quantization of gravitational waves; gravitational waves do not rely on a quantum description). Efforts to measure these waves are currently ongoing and it would not surprise me if they would succeed ...[text shortened]... nerated all the time - they are just the carriers of the gravitational force, like the graviton.
    There's the observation of binary pulsars orbits decaying, which implies they are emitting gravitational radiation, so they've been indirectly observed.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 06:43
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There's the observation of binary pulsars orbits decaying, which implies they are emitting gravitational radiation, so they've been indirectly observed.
    From what I understand, this is not taken as conclusive evidence for the existence of gravitational waves.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 07:47
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    "...which implies they are emitting gravitational radiation..."

That's a guess, nothing more.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 10:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    That's a guess, nothing more.
    Its more than a guess.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 11:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its more than a guess.
    It's a qualified guess.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 13:39
    It's a qualified guess.
    Its more than a qualified guess.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 15:37
    It's superman!
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 16:13
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    From what I understand, this is not taken as conclusive evidence for the existence of gravitational waves.
    People like arguing. As I understand it the decay rates match the GR predictions quite closely so there'd need to be a cosmic conspiracy for it to be anything else.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 18:42
    Its more than a qualified guess.
    "...which implies they are emitting gravitational radiation..."

A guess, a hypothesis, an implication, nothing more.

When the gravitational radiation is measured, come back and tell me.
    Have gravitational radiation been measured at all anywhere?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 19:43
    A guess, a hypothesis, an implication, nothing more.
    I would put it down as 'the best explanation to date'. Do you have a better explanation?
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 22:21
    I would put it down as 'the best explanation to date'. Do you have a better explanation?
    'The best guess to date' would be a better statement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree