1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 04:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I will let you so-called scientists do the speculating.
    Yes, be a good boy, and let people who do know something debate.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 07:07
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes, be a good boy, and let people who do know something debate.
    There is a Debates Forum for that.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 07:40
    There is a Debates Forum for that.
    You wrote:
    "I will let you so-called scientists do the speculating."
    Please do so. Go to the spiritual forum where you belong and speculate your own truths there.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 09:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You wrote:
    "I will let you so-called scientists do the speculating."
    Please do so. Go to the spiritual forum where you belong and speculate your own truths there.
    Okay, I'll make a deal with you. If you will stop trolling my threads I will stay out of the Science Forum.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '14 11:01
    Okay, I'll make a deal with you. If you will stop trolling my threads I will stay out of the Science Forum.
    That's a deal.

Whenever I see you, in any thread in Science, I will troll you so hard in every of your threads that you wish you never came up with this idea.
  6. Montana
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 02:03
    I'm brand new here and just stumbled across this thread and I haven't read all of the posts.

I've always wondered if Dark Energy is actually a result of a "near by" universe in the multiverse proposals. Perhaps two Universes bumped together creating our Big Bang and our Universe.

Using Universe in the plural is strange ..... !
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 10:53
    Sorry for butting into this thread, but if the universe is expanding, does this mean that over time the universe is getting less dense?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 11:06
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Sorry for butting into this thread, but if the universe is expanding, does this mean that over time the universe is getting less dense?
    The matter/energy density of the universe is decreasing as a function of time.

As the rate of expansion is currently believed to be increasing, the rate of reduction
    in density is also increasing.

If this continues, each particle will eventually end up residing inside it's own event horizon,
    the sole particle in it's visible universe.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 11:36
    Don't apologise, it's a reasonable question. The matter density is certainly decreasing. The energy density is dominated by dark energy, so the question is more subtle. It depends on the properties of dark energy. If dark energy behaves like a negative pressure gas then the amount of dark energy increases as the universe expands. With one possible end point being a big rip, where the universe expands so rapidly that even atoms are torn to pieces and every elementary particle becomes causally isolated from every other one.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 11:43
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The matter/energy density of the universe is decreasing as a function of time.

As the rate of expansion is currently believed to be increasing, the rate of reduction
    in density is also increasing.

If this continues, each particle will eventually end up residing inside it's own event horizon,
    the sole particle in it's visible universe.
    Yeah, I have this awesome book at home simply called "Bang!" Which states that if the universal expansion continues like it does now then in 10^66 years the average distance between two electrons is estimated to be 100000 times the width of the current universe.

Mindboggling.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 11:57
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Don't apologise, it's a reasonable question. The matter density is certainly decreasing. The energy density is dominated by dark energy, so the question is more subtle. It depends on the properties of dark energy. [b]If dark energy behaves like a negative pressure gas then the amount of dark energy increases as the universe expands. With ...[text shortened]... are torn to pieces and every elementary particle becomes causally isolated from every other one.[/b]
    The big problem I (and many others) have with this idea of space expanding is that I don't understand what space actually is. Might have to crack open a book again.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 12:15
    .... I don't understand what space actually is.
    The thing is: space isn't. Its what is in the space that counts. Space is about relationships. At first glance, it appears that space is about distances between things, but if you introduce relativity, it becomes apparent that even that doesn't hold up - then you have to start talking about distances in 'space time'.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 12:17
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If dark energy behaves like a negative pressure gas then the amount of dark energy increases as the universe expands.
    The total amount of dark energy increases, but current theory suggests its density is uniform (which is why the total increases as space expands).
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 12:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The thing is: space isn't. Its what is in the space that counts. Space is about relationships. At first glance, it appears that space is about distances between things, but if you introduce relativity, it becomes apparent that even that doesn't hold up - then you have to start talking about distances in 'space time'.
    Unless M-Theory is correct, in which case 'space' is the 'membrane' we are on.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Jun '14 12:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Alright, but then what is expanding? If the distance between a proton and a neutron in an atomic nucleus is expanding, what is expanding? The vaccuum? Is dark energy making the vaccuum bigger? If the whole universe is expanding, does this mean that matter - being a part of said universe - is also expanding? Are protons getting bigger ever so slightly? Or is it only the vaccuum that is expanding?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree