Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    14 Dec '11 12:30
    http://pewresearch.org/sciencequiz/quiz/index.php

    If you don't get 12 out of 12, and score more than 90%, as 10% of the US population did - you deserve shooting!

    -m.
  2. 14 Dec '11 18:19
    It is a pretty simplistic quiz.

    I would say you should be able to get over 90% easily. You probably shouldn't be shot, but maybe just take high school chemistry and physics again and hold your head down in shame.
  3. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    14 Dec '11 20:24
    Some of the questions have more to do with following the news than learning science fundamentals.
    For example, the classification of pluto, the nature of stem cells, the discovery of water on mars.

    Still, it's pretty sad how low some of those scores are.

    Only 33% of high school graduates knew that electrons are smaller than atoms !?!?!
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Dec '11 20:43
    I got 100%, pretty pathetic, eh.
  5. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    14 Dec '11 23:16
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You probably shouldn't be shot....
    Don't take me too literally .

    It's a pretty poor representation of scientific questioning, and as pointed out is more worthy of news items than scientific know how.

    However, I would have thought that everybody should know an electron is part of an atom, in today's world - literally.
  6. 14 Dec '11 23:55
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    Some of the questions have more to do with following the news than learning science fundamentals.
    For example, the classification of pluto, the nature of stem cells, the discovery of water on mars.

    Still, it's pretty sad how low some of those scores are.

    Only 33% of high school graduates knew that electrons are smaller than atoms !?!?!
    I would have thought that the size of an atom is rather...nebulous.
  7. 15 Dec '11 15:04
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://pewresearch.org/sciencequiz/quiz/index.php

    If you don't get 12 out of 12, and score more than 90%, as 10% of the US population did - you deserve shooting!

    -m.
    Question 4 is wrong. The intended answer is obviously "satelites", and those are involved - but I doubt those have no magnets at all on board.

    Question 7, AFAICT, is wrong as well: they've discovered evidence of the existence of water in the (astronomically) recent past, but not actual water currently present.

    Richard
  8. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    15 Dec '11 16:06
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Question 4 is wrong. The intended answer is obviously "satelites", and those are involved - but I doubt those have no magnets at all on board.

    Question 7, AFAICT, is wrong as well: they've discovered evidence of the existence of water in the (astronomically) recent past, but not actual water currently present.

    Richard
    True, on both, but did you know what the answers were?
  9. 15 Dec '11 18:52
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Don't take me too literally .

    It's a pretty poor representation of scientific questioning, and as pointed out is more worthy of news items than scientific know how.

    However, I would have thought that everybody should know an electron is part of an atom, in today's world - literally.
    There were some people I knew who would probably prefer to be shot than to repeat basic chemistry or physics.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Dec '11 14:57
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Question 4 is wrong. The intended answer is obviously "satelites", and those are involved - but I doubt those have no magnets at all on board.

    Question 7, AFAICT, is wrong as well: they've discovered evidence of the existence of water in the (astronomically) recent past, but not actual water currently present.

    Richard
    They know for sure there is ice, it was found under one of the probes, it had formed in the night.
  11. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    16 Dec '11 20:42
    And the quiz doesn't actually specify the state -- ice is, after all, water.
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Dec '11 01:42
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    And the quiz doesn't actually specify the state -- ice is, after all, water.
    Yep, and they already know there is ice at the poles. Now they are finding it at lower latitudes by the landers.
  13. 18 Dec '11 12:06
    "You got all 12 questions correct, along with 10% of the public"
  14. 18 Dec '11 12:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yep, and they already know there is ice at the poles. Now they are finding it at lower latitudes by the landers.
    I thought the ice at the pole are actually frozen carbon dioxide.
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Dec '11 12:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I thought the ice at the pole are actually frozen carbon dioxide.
    Go back to class! It is a mix of water ice And CO2 ice. BTW the answer about GPS is satellites but that is not the right answer, the right answer is very accurately timed radio waves using relativity equations to account for the movement and various gravity field strengths the satellites encounter. The satellites are just the boxes housing the equipment to do that job.