1. Wat?
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 08:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Women are not as competative as men. They don't bother to be best in every challenge.
    Say that to an Asian woman 😀 😀

-m. 😉
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '12 00:41
    Lets try to keep the unsubstantiated sexist stereotypes to a minimum... ie completely absent.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 17:34
    If you want a much better science quis:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifically-literate-Take-our-quiz/Composing-about-78-percent-of-the-air-at-sea-level-what-is-the-most-common-gas-in-the-Earth-s-atmosphere.

the first few questions look easy, but it gets harder as it goes along.

I got 42/50. Not bad for someone without much of a background in science, though I'm sure those who have a science focused-education will do better.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 22:20
    12/12 on the original, 45/50 on the sh76's.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:161 edit
    12/12 but only 38/50 on the second one. I question #41, brightest natural object is really the sun not the moon! Got it right though since the sun was not one of the answers!

Is there a percentile number for our scores? I didn't see any online. In a science class I would have made a solid C🙂
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 06:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    12/12 but only 38/50 on the second one. I question #41, brightest natural object is really the sun not the moon! Got it right though since the sun was not one of the answers!

Is there a percentile number for our scores? I didn't see any online. In a science class I would have made a solid C🙂
    Question #41 refers to the nighttime sky, which rules out the sun.

I got 47/50. A fair chunk of it was a Greek test. One I got wrong because I didn't know the Greek for "thunder". Snarl. Snap.

Also didn't know what "nimbus" means (Latin this time).

The third one I got wrong was...hmm...oh yes -- I thought F=ma was Newton's First Law of Motion. Should've known better, I suppose.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 12:32
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Question #41 refers to the nighttime sky, which rules out the sun.

I got 47/50. A fair chunk of it was a Greek test. One I got wrong because I didn't know the Greek for "thunder". Snarl. Snap.

Also didn't know what "nimbus" means (Latin this time).

The third one I got wrong was...hmm...oh yes -- I thought F=ma was Newton's First Law of Motion. Should've known better, I suppose.
    One I missed was mass times velocity=momentum. I thought it was kinetic energy. They are closely related I think. I guess kinetic energy is mass times velocity squared.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 17:20
    Irritatingly 46/50.
    forgot the order of the noble gasses.
    I got the kind of triangle wrong.
    didn't know what nimbus meant.
    And after toing and froing I got the unit wrong on the last question.

Sigh, oh well.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jan '12 14:30
    Originally posted by sh76
    If you want a much better science quis:
    It is indeed much better, even if a lot of it is about the history of science rather than about science itself.

As for the Greek, I don't think there were any questions where the Greek was not another hint in a question which also provided a more scientific hint. But I must admit it helped me with the brontosaurus question, what with me not living in Canadeh? and not caring about their postal service.

(Three wrong, two of which I really should have remembered.)

Richard
  10. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    10 Jan '12 23:354 edits
    39/50... Much more interesting quiz than the last one (got 100% on that one).

The answers I got wrong I mostly had the sense I knew once... must be getting old.

I'm embarrassed to say I got the most frequent element in the crust wrong. Guess oxygen makes sense in retrospect.

Had no idea on the Finnegan's wake question - never read that book. But on that one too, I probably should have been able to rule it down to quark by taking out the other answers.

I'd really hate to see what the population's performance on this quiz is.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 16:331 edit
    Originally posted by WoodPush
    39/50... Much more interesting quiz than the last one (got 100% on that one).

The answers I got wrong I mostly had the sense I knew once... must be getting old.

I'm embarrassed to say I got the most frequent element in the crust wrong. Guess oxygen makes sense in retrospect.

Had no idea on the Finnegan's wake question - never read that book. But ...[text shortened]... other answers.

I'd really hate to see what the population's performance on this quiz is.
    I think the Finnigan's wake reference is 'Three quarks for Muster Mark' something like that.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 05:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    Men also scored significantly higher than women (8.1 to 7.4). Politically incorrect though it is to say, men do tend to be a bit more proficient at science.
    Why would it be politically incorrect. It is either true, or false. If true, why should we be embarrassed to point it out? If false, its not 'politically incorrect', its just a false claim.
    As far as I know, it is true in most countries, but not all, and true for cultural, historical and educational system reasons as much as because of physical differences between men and women, although that does play a part.
  13. Standard memberWoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    Los Gatos, CA
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 23:341 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why would it be politically incorrect. It is either true, or false. If true, why should we be embarrassed to point it out? If false, its not 'politically incorrect', its just a false claim.
    As far as I know, it is true in most countries, but not all, and true for cultural, historical and educational system reasons as much as because of physical differences between men and women, although that does play a part.
    Because political correctness has very little to do with logic, and very much do with trying to tiptoe around peoples feelings.

Now come on, that' can't be new to you, any more than the claim that women, on average, score worse on science quizzes 🙂
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 04:461 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://pewresearch.org/sciencequiz/quiz/index.php

If you don't get 12 out of 12, and score more than 90%, as 10% of the US population did - you deserve shooting! 🙂

-m. 😉
    12/12 but those were easy 🙂

Manny

PS: Us Americans as a whole are stupid though LOL

This quiz was part of a larger study of attitudes about science in the U.S. The knowledge quiz is discussed in Section 7 of the report. View the report

How You Did, Question by Question

Below you'll find your question-by-question results and the percentage of all adults who answered each question correctly in our telephone survey.

Question Correct Answer Your Response All Adults, Percentage Correct
    1. Which over-the-counter drug do doctors recommend that people take to help prevent heart attacks? Aspirin Correct 91
    2. According to most astronomers, which of the following is no longer considered a planet? Pluto Correct 60
    3. Which of the following may cause a Tsunami? An earthquake under the ocean Correct 77
    4. The global positioning system, or GPS, relies on which of these to work? Satellites Correct 82
    5. What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise? Carbon dioxide Correct 65
    6. How are stem cells different from other cells? They can develop into many different types of cells Correct 52
    7. What have scientists recently discovered on Mars? Water Correct 61
    8. The continents on which we live have been moving their location for millions of years and will continue to move in the future. True Correct 76
    9. Lasers work by focusing sound waves. False Correct 47
    10. Antibiotics will kill viruses as well as bacteria. False Correct 54
    11. Electrons are smaller than atoms. True Correct 46
    12. All radioactivity is man-made. False Correct 63
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 09:571 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    11. Electrons are smaller than atoms. True Correct 46
    Considering that this is a true/false question and the result is lower than 50%, it suggests that a significant number of people are misinformed (not just ignorant). Or they were stupid enough to 'pass' rather than take a guess.

Or, the question was biased in favour of one answer, or the sample size was small.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree