How to calculate radiance emitted?

How to calculate radiance emitted?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
17 May 09

Originally posted by adam warlock
Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Consider some finite time interval. In this finite time interval, a black body will emit a finite amount of photons. [b]Consider one emitted photon, which has some random wavelength
. In the decimal representation of the wavelength, the probability of one decimal corresponding is 10%, at least in the limit of ...[text shortened]... t will never happen.[/b]

Yes, it is pretty clear that it was just a case of bad wording... 🙄[/b]
Well, these are two different things.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
This was said: "events of probability zero may happen".

Perhaps here we have misunderstood eachother.
I say still no. What do you say?
Don't you see the difference between:

A - " everything with a probability zero can happen. "

and

B - "events of probability zero may happen"?

You really are hopeless.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Well spotted.
You should see me in seminars.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09

Well, these are two different things.
The only way for you to improve is by facing your mistakes, understand why you made them and then correct them. Trying to throw sand into other people's eyes doesn't cut it.

F

Moves
17 May 09

Don't you see the difference between:

A - " everything with a probability zero can happen. "

and

B - "events of probability zero may happen"?

You really are hopeless.
If you cannot explain so anyone can understand, then this conversation will continue... It might turn out that you are better in English than I am.

Can you give me an example of an "event with a probability zero that may happen"?

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09
1 edit

But that's a common thing whenever you're calculating the probabilities of a continuous variable.

A common example: what is the probability of you having the height that you have? It's 0!!! But you do have the height that you have don't you. 😉

Mathematically speaking: if you want to calculate the probability of a continuous variable you have to d r of photons because they change. In technical jargon: it isn't a quantum number.
One more time for Fabian:

But that's a common thing whenever you're calculating the probabilities of a continuous variable.

A common example: what is the probability of you having the height that you have? It's 0!!! But you do have the height that you have don't you. 😉

Mathematically speaking: if you want to calculate the probability of a continuous variable you have to do it by calculating an integral.

Let's make things concrete by giving a specific example: The height of people in the world. You define the probability density [; \rho ;] and then if you want to know the probability for someone having a height in a given interval [; (h_1 , h_2) ;] you just calculate the integral [; \int_{h_1}^{h_2} \rho ;]. Now if you want to know the probability of having a specific height the integral just is : [; \int_{h_1}^{h_1} \rho ;] and the integral is calculated just in point it amounts to 0!!!

So now you know that just because have a 0 probability it doesn't mean that the event doesn't happen.
But the big problem isn't that. The problem is that in a black body situation it doesn't make much sense to keep a count of the number of photons because they change. In technical jargon: it isn't a quantum number.

Edit: In order for you to see the equations you'll need http://thewe.net/tex/ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748 and http://www.mozilla-europe.org/pt/firefox/

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 May 09
1 edit

If you cannot explain so anyone can understand, then this conversation will continue... It might turn out that you are better in English than I am.

Can you give me an example of an "event with a probability zero that may happen"?
Did you see my last post in the previous page?

F

Moves
17 May 09

[/b]
Oh yes, that's true, but when you know the result then it's not the probability zero anymore:
What's the probability that I have the length that I acutally have, is of course p=1, exactly =1.
What is the probability that another human being have the exactly the samhe lenth that I have? Zero. Still zero. It cannot happen.
(Unless you consider it as a trick question, because there actually are people that have the exact same length that I have. Didn't they say that in your course of basic probability?)

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09

Oh yes, that's true, but when you know the result then it's not the probability zero anymore:
What's the probability that I have the length that I acutally have, is of course p=1, exactly =1.
What is the probability that another human being have the exactly the samhe lenth that I have? Zero. Still zero. It cannot happen.
(Unless you consider it as a ...[text shortened]... he exact same length that I have. Didn't they say that in your course of basic probability?)
Read the whole post please. 😞

F

Moves
17 May 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Yes!

Somebody will be born tomorrow. After 25 years, this person will have a certain height x. But, using the same reasoning you did, P(H=x) = 0, because that is true for all x in the support. So an event of probability zero will happen.
I missed that, but its' still not a good example. It doesn't support your claim.
I think adam warlock explains the thing better than you do.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09

Flattery will get you nowhere. And don't try the divide and conquer trick.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 May 09
1 edit

I missed that, but its' still not a good example. It doesn't support your claim.
Hahaha!

Do you have any argument on why it doesn't support my claim or is "adam explains the thing better" your only one?

Come on, it's not that hard to understand the "thingy".

K

Germany

Moves
17 May 09

The only way for you to improve is by facing your mistakes, understand why you made them and then correct them. Trying to throw sand into other people's eyes doesn't cut it.
Okay. Since the infinite string of zeros is no less likely than any other infinite string, it will "almost surely" not happen.

Happy now?

F

Moves
17 May 09

Read the whole post please. 😞
I read it, I understand it, but I don't havethe same interpretation.

I think of a real number. What is the probability that you can guess this number? P(You can guess exactly that number)= Zero, of course.

What is a probability that a human being has exactly my length? One. Because here I am!
What's the probability that another one have the same length that I have? Zero. (Unless you don't think about the trick question.)

Perhaps we should lift it up a lever. Let my teacher and your teacher debate this instead of us two?

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
17 May 09

Okay. Since the infinite string of zeros is no less likely than any other infinite string, it will "almost surely" not happen.

Happy now?
I couldn't care less.

You're the one that can decide what kind oh physicist you want to be.