1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '22 10:28
    I first heard about Hydra vulgaris from a conspiracy theory that they are in the covid vaccines. I am not promoting that conspiracy theory since I have no idea if they can live in the human body, but I did find out they are a very interesting species.

“As far as we can tell, it doesn’t age or die,” says Assistant Professor Celina Juliano, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology. “You can cut little pieces out of the animal and it will regrow and maybe the most amazing thing is that you can dissociate the animal into single cells, mix them all up, put them back in a ball and a new Hydra will just grow out of it.”

https://biology.ucdavis.edu/research/model-organisms/hydra

Are they really immortal? If so, can they be useful to increase longevity in people by studying them?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '22 11:22
    @metal-brain said
    I first heard about Hydra vulgaris from a conspiracy theory that they are in the covid vaccines.
    And you never thought to do a reality check.

Because, of course you didn't.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '22 13:42
    @shallow-blue said
    And you never thought to do a reality check.

Because, of course you didn't.
    What did I say in the next sentence? Quote that too.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '22 16:32
    @Metal-Brain
    Did it occur to you that was the reason they chose to study that lizard?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 01:48
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Lizard? What lizard?

What are you talking about?
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 12:07
    @metal-brain said
    What did I say in the next sentence? Quote that too.
    It says "I am not promoting that conspiracy theory"... while spreading the conspiracy theory.

A very basic reality check would've told you the theory isn't merely unproven, it's nonsensical. Hydra Vulgaris is far too large to fit through a vaccination needle. Even a single tentacle is. The whole thing is absurd from the get-go.

You are correct that they are iinteresting creatures, though. If you'd left it at that, and not mentioned the daft theory, you'd have been fine.

As for the lack of ageing: that's still being debated, but it will almost certainly have no impact on human ageing studies except perhaps in a very distant way. Humans are much, much, mich more complicated than hydra, and so is our ageing process.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '22 03:45
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    My bad, I was looking at another posting of the way lizards protect themselves by shedding their tail when threatened but the tail grows back. The scientists involved are studying the regeneration mode going on in the tail with the hope of crossing what they find over to human regeneration.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '22 08:451 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    It says "I am not promoting that conspiracy theory"... while spreading the conspiracy theory.

A very basic reality check would've told you the theory isn't merely unproven, it's nonsensical. Hydra Vulgaris is far too large to fit through a vaccination needle. Even a single tentacle is. The whole thing is absurd from the get-go.

You are correct that they are iintere ...[text shortened]... distant way. Humans are much, much, mich more complicated than hydra, and so is our ageing process.
    So I am not allowed to say where I heard about it first?

What part of "I am not promoting that conspiracy theory" do you not understand?

"Hydra Vulgaris is far too large to fit through a vaccination needle. Even a single tentacle is."

A whole tentacle is not needed, just a little piece of it. This is how I know you don't read the relevant articles provided and simply troll nonsense that does not apply.

Here is an excerpt from the link I provided in my OP:

“You can cut little pieces out of the animal and it will regrow and maybe the most amazing thing is that you can dissociate the animal into single cells, mix them all up, put them back in a ball and a new Hydra will just grow out of it.”

You have been absurd from the get go. It may very well be an absurd conspiracy theory, but not because of the absurd reason you gave. Learn to read before you troll.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '22 16:13
    @Metal-Brain
    Vaccine manufacturers have to deal with many kinds of contaminents in there products. If there was some kind of contaminant it would be found out.
    You don't know the way they test for that kind of thing obviously but what is your bottom line here? From your past posts you are always leading to something or other.
    Are you actually posting something for scientific value, something you almost never do?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '22 02:021 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Vaccine manufacturers have to deal with many kinds of contaminents in there products. If there was some kind of contaminant it would be found out.
    You don't know the way they test for that kind of thing obviously but what is your bottom line here? From your past posts you are always leading to something or other.
    Are you actually posting something for scientific value, something you almost never do?
    How do you know it would be found? You don't even know if all of the ingredients have to be disclosed by the gene vaccine maker. Contaminants have been found before and recalls resulted. There were metallic contaminants in a batch sent to Japan.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/26/japan-pulls-1point6-million-moderna-vaccine-doses-over-contamination-concerns-.html

How were the contaminants found?
    What does Hydra Vulgaris eat?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '22 08:22
    A Hydra is a soft-bodied polyp of the Phylum Cnidaria, one of the most ancient animal groups in evolutionary terms which includes corals, jellyfish, hydras, and myxozoans. A Hydra has a tubular body with a sticky foot at one end and a dozen tentacles at the other.1

Like jellyfish, these tentacles possess stinging cells that allow the Hydra to immobilize their prey. They primarily eat small aquatic organisms such as cyclops, daphnia, and other aquatic crustaceans, but can catch and ingest small fish.

Hydras are sometimes accidentally introduced into freshwater aquariums when adding plants. A Hydra has no brain, no circulatory or respiratory system, nor even any musculature, yet it poses a real danger to small freshwater aquarium fish.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/combat-aquarium-pest-hydra-1381228
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Feb '22 18:09
    @Metal-Brain
    Is this all you got for your latest conspiracy theory? Dragging the bottom of the barrel here.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '22 01:32
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Is this all you got for your latest conspiracy theory? Dragging the bottom of the barrel here.
    This isn't about the conspiracy theory. I don't believe that conspiracy theory. I don't believe a hydra can live in the human body.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Feb '22 23:421 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    We are not used to you asking a question to actually learn science.
    The answer to that question is we are learning about such things from many species and families of species like the lizard research to maybe regrow whole limbs when medical science gets out of kindergarten, maybe even get into 4th grade and they figure out how to cure cancer, longevity and the like, regrow limbs, regrow hearts and the like.
    Then the last thing to go will be the brain, so far not much fixing that.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '22 09:51
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    We are not used to you asking a question to actually learn science.
    The answer to that question is we are learning about such things from many species and families of species like the lizard research to maybe regrow whole limbs when medical science gets out of kindergarten, maybe even get into 4th grade and they figure out how to cure cancer, longevity and the ...[text shortened]... grow hearts and the like.
    Then the last thing to go will be the brain, so far not much fixing that.
    Hydra Vulgaris does not have a brain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree