1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '22 05:43
    @Metal-Brain
    Was that intended to be profound? If so, it failed.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '22 10:30
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Was that intended to be profound? If so, it failed.
    Just stating a fact. How else could you cut it up into little pieces and it will assemble again? It doesn't operate with a brain. A brain only operates in the piece that has the brain. It doesn't need a brain and it has certain advantages.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '22 16:13
    @Metal-Brain
    I was alluding to the idea that medical science gets more developments every year so a hundred or two hundred years from now all or most human ailments will be solved.
    I mentioned brain because it is orders of magnitude more complex than any other organ and not just human brains, animal brains are also complex.
    Maybe two hundred years of constant medical science growth will solve brain issues also, like dementia, Alzheimer's, brain tumors and mental disorders like schizophrenia or OCD.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '22 00:58
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I was alluding to the idea that medical science gets more developments every year so a hundred or two hundred years from now all or most human ailments will be solved.
    I mentioned brain because it is orders of magnitude more complex than any other organ and not just human brains, animal brains are also complex.
    Maybe two hundred years of constant medical scie ...[text shortened]... ssues also, like dementia, Alzheimer's, brain tumors and mental disorders like schizophrenia or OCD.
    Did you read my OP? I said this:

Can they be useful to increase longevity in people by studying them?

You want to talk about everything but longevity. Why is that? Will two hundred years of constant medical science growth solve the death by aging problem?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '22 01:091 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    Well it won't happen by making the brain more intelligent or whatever.
    Aging is an intractable problem so far but some inroads are being made slowly.
    It is much more about oxidation and inflammation and loss of bone density that kills humans not schizoid brains.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '22 12:06
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Well it won't happen by making the brain more intelligent or whatever.
    Aging is an intractable problem so far but some inroads are being made slowly.
    It is much more about oxidation and inflammation and loss of bone density that kills humans not schizoid brains.
    Why do you keep talking about the brain? That has nothing to do with it.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '22 03:063 edits
    @Metal-Brain
    Even if we completely clone a 20 year old from a 90 year old body, if you were able to install that 90 yo brain to the 20 yo body, you would still have a 90 yo having fun in a 20 yo body but he would be way out of date if he wanted to get a job based on his old skills.
    That would mean he would have to go back to college and get a new degree in something, whatever, STEM, ARTS, he will need a new degree or two to get hired and then there is the issue of people knowing that is the rebuild of old Harry or does he disappear into the woodwork only to reappear on Vancouver Island or something, an unknown stranger and he wants to keep it that way.

I think they will find cures for most diseases including brain issues like brain tumors and such, Alzheimer's, dementia and the like but who would that person be if they screwed with his memories, what if they injected false memories, how would he even know? Like the movie Total Recall, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Another issue, paying for such a rebuild.
    I imagine there would be something like a student loan, but now if insurance doesn't cover the change, maybe you are now in debt for 3 million dollars, and you have to pay it off. Makes student loans look like pocket change.

It wouldn't matter if it was an actual clone rebuild or just repairing the same body internally so you start at 90 and end at 20 with the same but now very youthful body, you still have a 90 yo brain and all the memories inside.
    Suppose you can even make the individual cells of the brain go youthful but that would not change the memories I would think.

So you would be left with a brain of a 90 inside a 20 yo body but at least now he or she would be able to learn like a 20 yo and that person would like I said before, have to go back to college or some job requiring skills which have to be learned and at least the former 90 yo would have the strength and reflexes as when he or she was 20 for real.

Also there is the issue being researched now, if you could live thousands of years, how much of those years could you possibly remember?
    And in our example of a 90 now in a 20 yo body, are those 90 years of memories going to get in the way of the new level of education he or she needs?
    There is a theory going round that elderly memory gets worse because of the clutter of old memories so it might work out you would keep some, maybe you need to clean out some clutter, make room for new years of school and living.

It will certainly cause societal issues if such tech gets widely used.

Like would SS be abolished? You are now 20 so go back to work, SS starts over for you now, something like that maybe.

If you committed a crime back say 50 years earlier and forensics figured it out and it was a triple murder or some such, a class A felony, life without parol, and they figure it out, and you get caught, now you are a 20 YO facing life.

How sick would THAT be?
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '22 06:45
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Even if we completely clone a 20 year old from a 90 year old body, if you were able to install that 90 yo brain to the 20 yo body, you would still have a 90 yo having fun in a 20 yo body but he would be way out of date if he wanted to get a job based on his old skills.
    That would mean he would have to go back to college and get a new degree in something, whate ...[text shortened]... they figure it out, and you get caught, now you are a 20 YO facing life.

How sick would THAT be?
    I'm talking about preventing aging or slowing it down. You are not talking about that. Hydras do not age.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '22 20:08
    @Metal-Brain
    Come back in 200 years, maybe they will figure it out and we all live to be 400.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Mar '22 20:15
    @metal-brain said
    Why do you keep talking about the brain? That has nothing to do with it.
    It does, though. It's quite obvious to anyone who knows the slightest thing about biology that humans can't regress like polyps is that we have brains, and they don't have to.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '22 06:51
    @shallow-blue said
    It does, though. It's quite obvious to anyone who knows the slightest thing about biology that humans can't regress like polyps is that we have brains, and they don't have to.
    The article I posted says otherwise, but state your case.
    Why does it age?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '22 08:33
    @Metal-Brain
    Your dream is to see Hydra Vulgaris studied so we humans can also be immortal?
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '22 19:23
    @metal-brain said
    The article I posted says otherwise,
    It did? Astounding. In three paragraphs, your press cutting explained how a human brain can restore itself as easily as a hydra's two-dimensional neural net.

No. You're just jabbering random theor-uhm?-s again. And as usual, you have nothing.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '22 22:37
    @Shallow-Blue
    NOOOO, tell me it isn't so🙂
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '22 02:35
    @shallow-blue said
    It did? Astounding. In three paragraphs, your press cutting explained how a human brain can restore itself as easily as a hydra's two-dimensional neural net.

No. You're just jabbering random theor-uhm?-s again. And as usual, you have nothing.
    Show me the quotes. Saying it doesn't make it so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree