1. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    They have real value in electronics. I don't know how much basic electricity you have taken but if you have a straight DC circuit, say a battery and a light bulb, if you have a ten volt battery and a light that will draw one amp at ten volts, that represents a ten watt bulb. You just multiply the amps times the volts and you get the power in watts.
    With A ...[text shortened]... ch higher frequencies of radio and TV signals, same idea but MUCH faster cycle times.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 04:05
    I consider it an honor to be on your shyte list.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 04:34
  4. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    12 Jul '08 05:07
    Whose? I'm confused, and unlike anyone confused by field extensions, Wikipedia won't help me.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 03:13
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Whose? I'm confused, and unlike anyone confused by field extensions, Wikipedia won't help me.
    Sorry, it's a personal thing between pinky and me. I should not have said anything. Are you a professional mathematician?
    Or do you teach math? I had a terrible experience in HS math with an ancient teacher who refused to answer questions but only said, read the book, get the hell out of here and let me deteriorate in peace kind of thing.
  6. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 05:081 edit
    Sorry, it's a personal thing between pinky and me. I should not have said anything. Are you a professional mathematician?
    Or do you teach math? I had a terrible experience in HS math with an ancient teacher who refused to answer questions but only said, read the book, get the hell out of here and let me deteriorate in peace kind of thing.
    I'm a graduate student in math, and I teach a bit sometimes to pay various bills. I think your HS teacher had the exact wrong idea about math teaching -- if a student is taking things seriously, then they are probably asking a question for a good reason and answering their question is going to do them way more good than teaching the class does. That said, I'm going to have to remember "let me deteriorate in peace" the next time some student comes to my office hours to argue about grades or something 😛.

EDIT I agree, though. I think that with the exception of history, math is the worst-taught high school subject, on average, although my speculation about why is probably for another thread.

I've been reading your posts for a while, and we may have talked before (I used to play here as royalchicken). You have an intimidating scientific knowledge* -- what's your background?

*(slash are a damned fine musician!)
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 08:371 edit
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    I'm a graduate student in math, and I teach a bit sometimes to pay various bills. I think your HS teacher had the exact wrong idea about math teaching -- if a student is taking things seriously, then they are probably asking a question for a good reason and answering their question is going to do them way more good than teaching the class does. That s g scientific knowledge* -- what's your background?

*(slash are a damned fine musician!)
    Hey, thanks for that! I work in photonics, I am in the final test department of a 40 Ghz laser modulator, we have a lab with a million bucks of high tech in it! Imagine turning on and off a laser beam 40 billion times per second, moggles the bind! And that is just the beginning, we are developing one that modulates at one TERA hertz. Them is a lodda hertz!
    Did you visit my myspace site or listen here?
    If you want to look on myspace, its myspace.com/donjenningsguitar
    I have 4 compositions there from my first CD.
    I don't have a degree, a bit late for that. I am taking a calc course, I have a couple of DVD's from 'the Teaching Company' and I wish I had this guy as a teacher back in HS, Prof Michael Starbird form the Univ. texas, Austin.
    It is a great course in my opinion anyway.
    Do you think the Riemann has actually been solved?
    I got this book, The Riemann hypothesis by Karl Sabbagh and he talked about that mathematician who claims to have solved it ( De Branges) but I just read a piece in Wolfram's mathworld a counter example was formulated by Conrey and Li in 1998 refuting De Branges or invalidating his work. I am of course just a layman in all this but wondered if you know of any more recent work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree