Is Psychiatry a science.

Is Psychiatry a science.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
08 Jul 12
5 edits

Why should we trust doctors to manipulate something that hasn't (and can't be) been established as a science?

I just got called 'paranoid schizophrenic'. I just want to know whether this belongs in the science forum or not?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
09 Jul 12

Originally posted by Thequ1ck
Why should we trust doctors to manipulate something that hasn't (and can't be) been established as a science?

I just got called 'paranoid schizophrenic'. I just want to know whether this belongs in the science forum or not?
i hear you

h

Moves
09 Jul 12

I just got called 'paranoid schizophrenic'.

did you get called this by a qualified psychiatrist?

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
09 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by humy
I just got called 'paranoid schizophrenic'.

did you get called this by a qualified psychiatrist?
Would it make a difference if I was?

I get called all kind of things by different people, from insane to incredible. The truth lies between.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
09 Jul 12
6 edits

The post remains. Is Psychiatry a science??

Anyone bold enough to hazard a guess or are you happy in your delusions?

'God made man in his own image'. Think about that from past to future.

h

Moves
09 Jul 12
1 edit

I get called all kind of things by different people, from insane to incredible. The truth lies between.

yes

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
09 Jul 12
10 edits

yes
OK, prove to me that psychiatry is a science and I promise to answer your question in full and earnest detail. Thnx for caring.

Cape Town

Moves
09 Jul 12

Why couldn't it be established as a science? Surely Psychiatry is the scientific study of the brain? Sure there are people who do not use scientific methods, but that does not mean anyone studying psychiatry is not.

'paranoid schizophrenia' is a classification of a group of medical conditions that have certain similarities.
As far as I know (I am no expert), it is not know what all the different causes for this medical condition are, nor exactly what goes wrong. However some things about it are known and it can be and is, studied scientifically and can be diagnosed scientifically.

I am fairly sure however that what you have posted so far on this forum is insufficient to give such a diagnosis.

h

Moves
09 Jul 12
1 edit

OK, prove to me that psychiatry is a science and I promise to answer your question in full and earnest detail. Thnx for caring.
OK, prove to me that

why can’t it be a science?
What barrier is there to using scientific method to investigate mental illness?
Wherever and whenever scientific method is used to investigate mental illness in psychiatry, that psychiatry is a science by definition so no “proof” needed to demonstrate that it is a science because it is true by definition.
For example, if a sound double-blind test is used to demonstrate that a particular drug deduces the symptoms of a particular mental illness ( i.e. scientific method is used ) and then the drag becomes the generally accepted treatment for that mental illness in psychiatry as a result of that test then that knowledge of that treatment becomes a truly scientific part of psychiatry ( so at least that part of psychiatry is a science by definition ) .

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
09 Jul 12
7 edits

OK, prove to me that

why can’t it be a science?
What barrier is there to using scientific method to investigate mental illness?
Wherever and whenever scientific method is used to investigate mental illness in psychiatry, that psychiatry is a science by definition so no “proof” needed to demonstrate that it is a science because it is true by ...[text shortened]... c part of psychiatry ( so at least that part of psychiatry is a science by definition ) .
It can't be a science because there is no normal to set results against.

And no, being dead or comatose will produce a result of less psychotic symptoms so is that a cure??

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
09 Jul 12
15 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Why couldn't it be established as a science? Surely Psychiatry is the scientific study of the brain? Sure there are people who do not use scientific methods, but that does not mean anyone studying psychiatry is not.

[b]I just got called 'paranoid schizophrenic'. I just want to know whether this belongs in the science forum or not?

'paranoid schizo er that what you have posted so far on this forum is insufficient to give such a diagnosis.[/b]
Modern day psychiatry is basic butchery of the brain. It has no discipline and no standards. It's just a case of getting people to shut the hell up (sorry for profanity but was unavoidable).
But this is my point with my previous posts. There are failings in science itself. The impetus is on results and the ends justify the means.
That's not always true and especially so with the human brain.

h

Moves
09 Jul 12
5 edits

And no, being dead or comatose will produce a result of less psychotic symptoms so is that a cure??

You don't need to define “normal” to know that regular delusions, hallucinations, nervous breakdowns etc are a bad thing and therefore should be defined as mental illness.
Somebody who thinks he is Jesus the God and wants to jump of a skyscraper because he believes he can fly should be defined as mentally ill no matter how you look at it and not being able to define normal is irrelevant to this.

I didn't say being dead or comatose is a cure nor in any way imply so.

Cape Town

Moves
09 Jul 12

You don't seem to understand what psychiatry is. It is not an attempt to make everyones brain identical. It is the study of the brain - whatever that brain might be. One does not need a normal in order to study something. Thats like saying 'there are no 'normal' stars (true) therefore we cant study stars (false).

h

Moves
09 Jul 12
5 edits

Modern day psychiatry is basic butchery of the brain. It has no discipline and no standards. It's just a case of getting people to shut the hell up (sorry for profanity but was unavoidable).
But this is my point with my previous posts. There are failings in science itself. The impetus is on results and the ends justify the means.
That's not always true and especially so with the human brain.

Modern day psychiatry is basic butchery of the brain. It has no discipline and no standards.

How would you know this?

There are failings in science itself. The impetus is on results and the ends justify the means.

Nonsense. Science does not give impetus to “the ends justify the means”. Where did you get that from?

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
09 Jul 12

You don't need to define “normal” to know that regular delusions, hallucinations, nervous breakdowns etc are a bad thing and therefore should be defined as mental illness.
Somebody who thinks he is Jesus the God and wants to jump of a skyscraper because he believes he c ...[text shortened]... at a cure?? [/quote]
I didn't say being dead or comatose is a cure nor in any way imply so.
Was Van Gogh mad when he cut off his ear or was he in 'love'?

I propose that language structure is at fault and should be altered to be futuristic.