This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 16:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The level of technology from Germany is nothing like it is now, the stakes for such tech are MUCH higher when stolen.
    And I never diminished German tech or the US involvement in it. But those programs were the result of war, to the winner go the spoils. China is not in active war with the US.
    And YOU minimize the MILLION Muslims held in 're-education' camps. No big deal I guess, since you love the Chinese so much, just like anything Trump does is ok with his base.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 21:131 edit

4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 23:56
    You are full of shyte. Did you forget I actually was trained on the technology of Apollo, my job was Apollo tracking and timing NONE OF WHICH HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH GERMANY. The Saturn V rocket may have been the great grandson of the V2 but the actual Apollo craft, rockets, lander, transponder (my transponder) was all American including the development of the cesium beam atomic clocks which was part and parcel of the timing part of my job. You seem to think the only thing to do to go to the moon is to make a huge rocket but in fact there are literally thousands of different technology developments that have to happen, for instance the first Apollo small sized computer was invented at MIT which allowed the programs that ran Apollo to run.
    Getting German tech was the genesis but there was a lot of hard work involved in many other areas needed to make Apollo work and to do that with 1960's tech.
    For instance, the tracking part of my job involved a convoluted analog/digital conflation that could be done by a cell phone now but there were actual wire transponders sending basically an audio signal to a wire that was one of the digital codes of which there were 5 such wire delay lines with different binary levels adding up to a signal transmitted to the transponder on Apollo which sent that signal back to Earth to be analyzed to figure out the distance to Apollo within 50 feet and that worked way past the moon's distance, that system could give the distance if Apollo was 500,000 km away from Earth.
    The Germans for sure did not give us that, we did that ourselves and all the rest of the Apollo tech outside of the development of Saturn V, which was many steps ahead of the V2 rocket, liquid H2 and O2 for starters not just kerosene engines.
    You want to make out like the US had little in the way of innovation and had to depend on German technology. It goes WAY deeper than that. I KNOW, I was THERE.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 00:163 edits

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 00:252 edits

7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 00:271 edit
    You can think whatever you want, Germans helped us for sure but we are fully capable of doing on our own as much as you want to dis American science. For instance, the new version of the old Saturn V had to be done from scratch basically because they literally threw away the plans for SatV. That was a huge blunder because the Saturn V was a great rocket and would have kept the US launching their own sats and astronauts instead of having to pay hundreds of millions to Russia to do the launching.
    It isn't Germans doing the redo of the Sat V, that is American. If you think otherwise, tell me the names of the Germans doing the new Orion rocket.

https://www.space.com/33691-space-launch-system-most-powerful-rocket.html

This is a piece comparing Sat V to the SLS Orion.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 00:373 edits

9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 10:44
    Radar was invented by the British and used effectively unknown to the Germans so they were quite advanced. But it was my former boss, the Varian brothers who invented the klystron in their garage BTW, that allowed much higher frequencies to be used than the 200 Mhz or so used by the British, ten times higher frequency made for more resolution of the return signal, like wings showing besides just a white blip on a screen.
    Nobody ever said the US didn't get help from the Germans but we got the job done and the Germans would never have been able to build Saturn V on their own without US help if that is how it played out, say where Germany won WW2 and continued on their own path. The reason the Soviets could not get a powerful booster going is because they depended on many smaller rocket motors which demanded a control system capable of coordinating all those individual thrusters which turns out to have failed fundamentally and spectacularly.
    German and US engineers made much larger and smaller number of rockets that were easier to control as a group and thus won the space race to the moon.
    You might tout the Germans as the leaders and so forth but the rest of the project you sneer at, calling them 'ancillary' was just as important as the rockets. The Germans didn't do the math for orbital mechanics, that was done by an American genius Katherine Johnson for instance. The 'ancillary' projects were just as important if not more so than the rockets, both projects had to work together to get men to the moon and back safely.
    It was a sad day when it was decided to actually throw the drawings for Sat V after Nixon decided the publicity stunt was over, we beat the nasty Russkies and so kill that damned Democrat program.
    We are paying for that 50 years later where the SLS MAY be ready in another year or so, over budget and delayed by nearly a decade.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 20:351 edit

11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 22:04
    @sonhouse said
    Radar was invented by the British and used effectively unknown to the Germans so they were quite advanced. But it was my former boss, the Varian brothers who invented the klystron in their garage BTW, that allowed much higher frequencies to be used than the 200 Mhz or so used by the British, ten times higher frequency made for more resolution of the return signal, like wings ...[text shortened]... later where the SLS MAY be ready in another year or so, over budget and delayed by nearly a decade.
    On the subject of manned rocketry, I went to a talk at the RAeS on Monday on Natter [1], a late attempt by the Germans to dent Allied bomber streams. It was the first manned vertical takeoff rocket. They did groundbreaking work such as work out what position the pilot had to be in for launch, which we're so used to we don't question. The high g-forces during the boost phase basically force the pilot to be in a reclined position. After the Ba 349's first manned flight which ended in tragedy when the hatch, which had the head rest attached to it and whose latch probably wasn't properly engaged, came off in the slipstream killing or incapacitating the pilot. The aircraft then did a power dive at an estimated Mach 1.1 into the ground. Part of the problem was the pilot was in control of the aircraft and they think the high g-forces caused him to pull up on the stick. So the rocket plane went onto its back rather than rolling forward as intended. This meant that all future vertical rocket take-offs were automatically controlled.

The project ended because Germany lost the war, but would have been operational if they had had as little as another fortnight. Bachem was deeply affected by the death of the test pilot and refused to work on rocket projects after the war. He turned down an invitation from Werner von Braun to work for NASA.

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachem_Ba_349
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 22:56

13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '19 12:591 edit
    It was US and German scientists who built Saturn V and I doubt Germany would have even tried to build that rocket if they had won the war, they would not have had a vision of going to the moon in my opinion.
    So how many German scientists are involved in SLS today?
    It's a different world technologically speaking, better control systems, far stronger computers and such and modern CPU chips still have to be handled with care on a rocket taking off because of the vibrational forces that could tear apart modern computers so they have to carefully engineer that tech.
    It's funny neither NASA OR those German scientists thought of a way to recapture boosters like Elon Musk did and I am pretty sure he is not German.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '19 21:242 edits

15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '19 23:12
    Where do you get off saying I 'hurled insults' at German engineers and scientists? You are taking this to extremes.
    Which is why I seldom reply to your posts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree