1. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 01:48
    I was wondering if it would be possible for someone could provide us with a clearly defined and unambiguous outline of the current iteration of evolutionary theory.

Then we can sticky it to the top of the forum and if people want to discuss its merits and/or flaws without entering into the exercise in futility which is the debate (which I shall not mention) they can. Otherwise it going to be really annoying every time one of the "science isn't happening" nuts starts a "whats wrong with evolution" thread and we have to get it moved......

I'd provide one myself but since I did geology and left uni a while back it probably won't be 100% accurate and thus leave holes.......
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 02:28
    Originally posted by Mexico
    I was wondering if it would be possible for someone could provide us with a clearly defined and unambiguous outline of the current iteration of evolutionary theory.

Then we can sticky it to the top of the forum and if people want to discuss its merits and/or flaws without entering into the exercise in futility which is the debate (which I shall not mentio ...[text shortened]... and left uni a while back it probably won't be 100% accurate and thus leave holes.......
    Well... you know how it goes. I've been to an evolution conference recently, i was quite interesting.
    There's mutation and there's genotype to phenotype correspondence. A mutation might introduce a new characteristic intro phenotype, then the new mutated guy and its descendants (on average with the same kind of phenotype change) would be put to test in the real world, and on average could or not survive better then the others.
    It's a huge stochastic process, and even new "fittest" guy could not survive to tell the story. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't.
    And that's it... evolution is nothing more then mutation, replication, selection... A little boring and self-evident if you ask me.
    Now just apply this to a mono cellular organism billions of yrs old and there's theory of evolution.
  3. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 02:39
    Originally posted by serigado
    Well... you know how it goes. I've been to an evolution conference recently, i was quite interesting.
    There's mutation and there's genotype to phenotype correspondence. A mutation might introduce a new characteristic intro phenotype, then the new mutated guy and its descendants (on average with the same kind of phenotype change) would be put to test in the ...[text shortened]... y this to a mono cellular organism billions of yrs old and there's theory of evolution.
    Yep that's pretty much what I had.... Just didn't want to be dated in case I had a small factor wrong or something has changed. Haven't studied it in a while now...

Now how do we get this stickied to the top of the forum.........
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:04

Then we can sticky it to the top of the forum and if people want to discuss its merits and/or flaws without entering into the exercise in futility which is the debate (which I shall not mentio ...[text shortened]... and left uni a while back it probably won't be 100% accurate and thus leave holes.......
    Organisms have variations within species. These variations arise spontaneously due to spontaneous variations in the genes and are transmitted to offspring as genes.

These various traits affect the amount of reproduction that organisms manage to accomplish. Those organisms which reproduce more will increase the incidence of their traits and genes among the population. Thus, variation modifies reproduction which then determines how much that variation will be present in the next generation.

When two populations are separated from one another over long periods of time, they will tend to diverge and eventually will become so different that they can no longer interbreed, or cannot do so efficiently. This is the point at which two species diverge from one another; the same population which interbreeds within itself normally leading to two populations which cannot interbreed.

This process, repeated over the billions of years life has existed, has led to the diversity of life we see today.
  5. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    28 Feb '08 03:27
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Organisms have variations within species. These variations arise spontaneously due to spontaneous variations in the genes and are transmitted to offspring as genes.

These various traits affect the amount of reproduction that organisms manage to accomplish. Those organisms which reproduce more will increase the incidence of their traits and genes ...[text shortened]... ated over the billions of years life has existed, has led to the diversity of life we see today.
    Reasonably well described.... A little too much redundancy, though and I think serigado puts it better.... But the point is clear,

Thanks
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 02:431 edit
    Or they can somehow make it so that whenever "evolution" is in the thread title it can automatically be moved to debates.

EDIT: or if "Darwin" is in the thread title also.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '08 10:11
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Or they can somehow make it so that whenever "evolution" is in the thread title it can automatically be moved to debates.

EDIT: or if "Darwin" is in the thread title also.
    Well, "Evolution" and "Darwinism" is purley scientific words, they belong in the Science forum.
    It's when it comes to the r*ligious interpretation and debates it should be moved somewhere else...
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 00:11

As a Christian evolutionist, I'd like such an outline as well. I've run out of ways to explain my point to my Sunday School class.
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 04:301 edit
    I doubt you'll stop them putting up irrelevant threads, but if you alert the first post as "religious discussion" it will be moved as soon as the next one of us comes by. Hopefully they'll eventually get the point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree