1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 13:112 edits
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    There is a statistical matter to take into account: Will AI driving reduce accidents to a lower level than human driving?

Once I say a goofer on the road, I was going at like 70 km/h, and the road was icy. I had two choices: (1) to avoid it with the risque of losing the control of my car, and (2) drive right over it and hope for the best. I would say ...[text shortened]... , but can we put an AI device behind the bars? Or do we go to Elon Musk and put him behind bars?
    Goofer? You mean a gopher, a small rodent? Like a squirrel or something of that size? If so, for the AI driver, the dilemma would be "is that a small human child or an inanimate object like a wad of leaves driven by wind that can be safely run over' and that would take an extraordinary data set in the AI memory to answer that question so maybe the AI driver system is in deep trouble for use in the real world.

But the question of culpability is complex. For instance when railroads were first developed in England around 1820 or so, there was the case of the first death by these machines where someone slipped off the platform and onto the track and was run over.
    In that case would you hang the guy who designed the RR? I don't think anyone thought that ATT. They most likely would have thought (just guessing) of making a railing that would prevent folks from falling into the tracks, or in other words doing design work on the system to lessen the probability of that particular accident scenario from happening again.
    Or when Columbia crashed and killed those astronauts the engineers developing the system were not jailed but they doubled down to understand what happened and design around the problems found.

So I don't think the originators of such AI driving systems will be under legal liability other than civil cases, where maybe the death ends up with a million dollar settlement but not criminal charges.

Market forces would be the limiting factor in that case. If say there were AI drivers performing mostly well and after a year they drove a total of 100 million miles between X number of such cars and had one case of a death, that would be considered just the cost of doing business but if that same 100 million mile record resulted in 10,000 deaths the civil liability cost could be in the billions as litigation hands out those million dollar checks, in that case the companies involved could be driven into bankruptcy and that would be then end of that particular technological experiment.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 14:53
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Goofer? You mean a gopher, a small rodent? Like a squirrel or something of that size? If so, for the AI driver, the dilemma would be "is that a small human child or an inanimate object like a wad of leaves driven by wind that can be safely run over' and that would take an extraordinary data set in the AI memory to answer that question so maybe the AI drive ...[text shortened]... e driven into bankruptcy and that would be then end of that particular technological experiment.
    Sorry.
    Not Goofer, not gopher, but badger. (Thank you for the correction!) Big enough to create some damage to a car, enough unpleasant to run over, the thought is rather to avoid it. But when the winter roads are icy and snowy then the decision is always right to run it over and hope for the best.

A reindeer behaves totally different than a moose or a deer. Do you know the difference, you treat them differently when you encounter them.

My point is that there are a lot of animals all over the world that behaves differently, can cause different kind of damage. Further different road surfaces, gravel, ice, snow, watery surfaces and more. To combine all these aspect - what will the AI do better that a human driver cannot?
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 16:27
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    There is some talk about building a road between towns, treating them like railroads for
    trucks and what not to go back and forth.
    Hi Kelly, fine, but if they are going to do that why not just build a railway?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 19:42
    Sorry.
    Not Goofer, not gopher, but badger. (Thank you for the correction!) Big enough to create some damage to a car, enough unpleasant to run over, the thought is rather to avoid it. But when the winter roads are icy and snowy then the decision is always right to run it over and hope for the best.

A reindeer behaves totally different than a moose o ...[text shortened]... s and more. To combine all these aspect - what will the AI do better that a human driver cannot?
    I know a bit about deer, twice they literally ran into my car. Of course my car was moving ATT but still, one jumped out of a bush when I passed said bush and I had about 1/10th of a second to respond. TWO tenths, maybe I could have done something......
    Another time a deer jumped right over a middle of the road barrier and I saw it and avoided that one but then his inlaws jumped over 1 second later and wham, another dead deer and for some strange reason, another dead car, totaled. I looked at the road and I thought I was looking at snow but it was a very long line of white deer fur going back about 100 meters down the road. Didn't know a deer could generate that much loose fur.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 20:41
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I know a bit about deer, twice they literally ran into my car. Of course my car was moving ATT but still, one jumped out of a bush when I passed said bush and I had about 1/10th of a second to respond. TWO tenths, maybe I could have done something......
    Another time a deer jumped right over a middle of the road barrier and I saw it and avoided that one bu ...[text shortened]... oing back about 100 meters down the road. Didn't know a deer could generate that much loose fur.
    I had once a near hit with a moose. Me going at 110 km/h in rain and dusk and this suicidal mountain of meat some 25 meters in front of me made me think of my own mortality rather than its. I'm sure that I did as good as any AI, meaning nothing.

Those numerous flocks of reindeers licking the salt of the road surface, just standing there, owning the road, not wanting to leave way for me despite honking and shouting. No AI in the world could know that the best thing to do is to leave the car and entering the flock, shoving the reindeers of the road.

What about kangaroos, elephants, and other local animals around the world? I'm sure that every animal and other hinder cannot be foreseen by AI, but only by ones own intelligence.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Sep '18 01:17
    I had once a near hit with a moose. Me going at 110 km/h in rain and dusk and this suicidal mountain of meat some 25 meters in front of me made me think of my own mortality rather than its. I'm sure that I did as good as any AI, meaning nothing.

Those numerous flocks of reindeers licking the salt of the road surface, just standing there, owning the ro ...[text shortened]... that every animal and other hinder cannot be foreseen by AI, but only by ones own intelligence.
    One time in Alaska, my cousin ran smack into a moose. It jammed itself through the windshield and he had to drive like that for about 50 miles before he could get help. The moose didn't make it...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree