Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 21 Dec '15 15:29
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/lindsey-graham-drops-out-of-2016-race-144556467.html

    So who will I vote for now?
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Dec '15 16:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/lindsey-graham-drops-out-of-2016-race-144556467.html

    So who will I vote for now?
    And this has to do with science how?
  3. 21 Dec '15 16:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And this has to do with science how?
    Science can explain how abuse of alcohol affects the brain, which in turn may lead to someone opening a thread in the wrong sub-forum.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Dec '15 17:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Science can explain how abuse of alcohol affects the brain, which in turn may lead to someone opening a thread in the wrong sub-forum.
    Very true!
  5. 21 Dec '15 20:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And this has to do with science how?
    I'm looking for that GOP candidate that will save us from the evil GOP climate haters.

    We need carbon taxes to save us. Doesn't the GOP know that if we can all afford to heat and cool our homes and drive our cars and fly on planes when we want to that the world will end?

    Now that Linsdey is out of the race, who can save mother earth?
  6. 21 Dec '15 21:04
    One thing has always puzzled me about global warming. Science is what is causing global warming. After all, the technology to convert fossil fuels is the villian here. Why then do we turn to science for the solution?
  7. 21 Dec '15 21:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    One thing has always puzzled me about global warming. Science is what is causing global warming. After all, the technology to convert fossil fuels is the villian here. Why then do we turn to science for the solution?
    Good one, whodey. Just when I thought you have asked the most inane question in the history of the Universe, you come up with a gem like this.
  8. 21 Dec '15 21:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Good one, whodey. Just when I thought you have asked the most inane question in the history of the Universe, you come up with a gem like this.
    Won't science save us now that it has doomed us?

    It's the left's war against science
  9. 21 Dec '15 23:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    One thing has always puzzled me about global warming. Science is what is causing global warming. After all, the technology to convert fossil fuels is the villian here. Why then do we turn to science for the solution?
    What else would we do about global warming if not turn to science? Kill sacrificial goats? Start praying?
  10. 22 Dec '15 07:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    What else would we do about global warming if not turn to science? Kill sacrificial goats? Start praying?
    You could ask whodey for whatever cocktail he is on. (warning, you might start getting hallucinations in which you see leftists everywhere.)
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Dec '15 13:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    One thing has always puzzled me about global warming. Science is what is causing global warming. After all, the technology to convert fossil fuels is the villian here. Why then do we turn to science for the solution?
    Here is one example where science is providing answers:

    http://phys.org/news/2015-12-kind-mof-coal-power.html

    Reducing the amount of CO2 by capturing the carbon in the process of burning coal, or any other fossil fuel.

    There are literally thousands of such programs going on right now, from solar powered hydrogen generators, which are up to 24% conversion to hydrogen from solar right now.

    http://phys.org/news/2015-12-solar-powered-hydrogen-production-efficiency.html

    So it is not panic time just yet. Come back in 20 years, maybe you can work yourself into a panic then.
  12. 22 Dec '15 13:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There are literally thousands of such programs going on right now, from solar powered hydrogen generators, which are up to 24% conversion to hydrogen from solar right now.
    Seriously now, the whole 'hydrogen fuel' thing was a fossil fuels industry scam from the very start (and still is).
  13. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Dec '15 13:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Seriously now, the whole 'hydrogen fuel' thing was a fossil fuels industry scam from the very start (and still is).
    I know you don't want transportation to be big business but we are stuck with it.

    You do know hydrogen has a number of advantages and the whole point is to get us off the tit of fossil fuels.

    Hydrogen right now may not be as viable as electric but science does march on and these new metal-organic matrices may be one answer as to getting H2 concentrated enough to equal petrol as far as distance goes.

    Storing H2 in a solid is certainly much safer than pressurized gas or liquid form, both having serious problems mechanically, to say nothing of safety.

    I think the problems with H2 will be solved and we will see an infrastructure similar to petrol, filling stations that force gaseous H2 into a solid state storage and still giving us 500 Km range.

    You can use H2 in a regular internal combustion engine or through a fuel cell to an electric motor so I don't see the problem.
  14. 22 Dec '15 14:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I know you don't want transportation to be big business but we are stuck with it.

    You do know hydrogen has a number of advantages and the whole point is to get us off the tit of fossil fuels.

    Hydrogen right now may not be as viable as electric but science does march on and these new metal-organic matrices may be one answer as to getting H2 concentrat ...[text shortened]... ternal combustion engine or through a fuel cell to an electric motor so I don't see the problem.
    With the recent advances in energy density of batteries it doesn't look like hydrogen fuel is going anywhere. It is much less efficient than electric cars - the only advantage is that you can get a larger range. But it is this advantage that has been rapidly shrinking over the last decade or three. In 50 years' time most cars will be electric.
  15. 22 Dec '15 14:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    What else would we do about global warming if not turn to science? Kill sacrificial goats? Start praying?
    Live like the Amish. Distance yourself from the evils of science and return to the horse and buggy.

    Save our world!!