1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 13:53
    https://phys.org/news/2018-08-decades-old-math-problem.html

Another one bites the dust, with many implications for such things as quantum computers.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 03:11
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://phys.org/news/2018-08-decades-old-math-problem.html

Another one bites the dust, with many implications for such things as quantum computers.
    geez, electrons find the path of least resistance. Hell all they had to do was look at river flowing down a mountain to figure that one out.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '18 19:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 01:39

5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 10:297 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I think its very unlikely any scientist here would tend to confuse the difference given the difference usually being pretty obvious to the well educated.
    Mathematical physics cannot ever be applied without making at least one assumption, often a highly implicit one, about the physical world that is neither a pure mathematical axiom itself nor can be mathematically derived purely and only from some formal pure mathematical axioms without at least one other additional assumption that isn't itself a pure mathematical axiom. In other words, it needs to make at least one assumption that is NOT a maths one. That alone shows it certainly cannot be pure maths.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 13:401 edit
    Well thank you for the hidden insult, not so hidden. I think maybe you know my own son in law is a statistical physicist, where math is used in the real world for real world problems.
    We talked about such things already, so you might be surprised a dullard like me could actually know the difference between the math of physics and pure math.

And I did point out the real world possibility of this work in quantum computers.

But hey, I am a jingoistic lying morally reprehensible fatuous troll so anything I say can be instantly ignored.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 18:38

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 18:391 edit

9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 20:401 edit
    Duchess

I think you underestimate some people's intelligence here.
    A non-scientist not knowing much algebra certainly doesn't imply he/she cannot understand the difference between pure and applied maths (to physics in this case). A person without contradiction can be totally crap at both but still know the difference. I am now moderately good at algebra but, before I learned much about it and about the various sciences, even then I knew the difference between pure and applied maths because of my interest in pretty basic philosophy. I am pretty sure even my mother knows the difference and, due to circumstances beyond her control, she had the terrible misfortune of not having any formal education whatsoever (long story).
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 22:392 edits
    Oh... the mathematical fraud arrives just in the nick of time to "explain" something painfully obvious before "we" simpleton engineers and scientists muck it all up! Thank you again and again for continually providing your worthless input that is designed for the sole purpose of selling your un-clever deception of mathematical brilliance...Bravo...Bravo! What a performance! You sure have me fooled!
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    29 Aug '18 23:05
    Originally posted by @humy
    Duchess

I think you underestimate some people's intelligence here.
    A non-scientist not knowing much algebra certainly doesn't imply he/she cannot understand the difference between pure and applied maths (to physics in this case). A person without contradiction can be totally crap at both but still know the difference. I am now moderately good at algebra bu ...[text shortened]... rol, she had the terrible misfortune of not having any formal education whatsoever (long story).
    Indeed.

She also has the very bad habit of overestimating her own intelligence. Without her search engines, she's just another, run of the mill, "intellectual wannabe".

One sure way to identify her fraud, is to observe her complete lack of originality. Additionally, observe her heavy reliance on quotes and citations. Mear filler and psychobabble. She has never manifested any observable creativity.

Even the nerdiest code monkeys in the world can express ideas generated from their own imaginations.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 00:482 edits

13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Aug '18 08:031 edit
    When Did I EVER say I was an engineer? Have you lost your memory pills? I SAID I was a technician, nothing more. I think, a frigging TALENTED technician who in fact DID do design work but never claimed to be an engineer. I came up through the ranks of technology the hard way, by extensive OJT, only a couple of years of college, mostly astronomy and electronics and music, where my music prof was Howard Brubeck, brother of Dave Brubeck. That was FAR more interesting to me than any of the astronomy, math, or electronics training. Then another year of technical training in the USAF and I got into the field I was thrust into because of very high scores on my USAF entrance tests.
    Then training and work at AUTEC, look it up if you don't know what that is.
    Then more training on Apollo, Apollo tracking and timing to be exact. Mind you, a rather low level technician job.
    Then a LOT of courses in applied physics of ion implanters at Varian and a lot more training in various technical fields.

ALL TECHNICIAN work. But in spite of saying that many times in the past ten years, you somehow think I was some kind of engineer.

You need to refresh your meds, you memory is slipping.

So OF COURSE your opinion of me will take yet another nosedive. And I could care less, you are not the person you were cracked up to be a few years ago.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '18 04:46

15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '18 16:04
    So you figure the fact I forgot that tidbit when I took math in 1960, I should be ashamed.

I told you I use a lot of formula's like the magnetic field strength needed to bend an ion beam and such and you castigate someone asking a question. You said I approached that question to you in humility and you answered it.
    THEN used it as a weapon. Nice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree