1. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Nov '11 13:27
    Advice needed from our knowledgeable frequency and heat experts.

If I have a meal, which I did and that being cooked (steak in gravy and french-fries), then what's the best way to re-heat it in a microwave oven?

If I put on full power, I can only assume it starts cooking again from inside out and the steak will just get hard?

If I cook on half power, I assume it doesn't get 'cooked' as much, but does it still heat at the same amount, or will the result be half as cold as re-heated on full power?

What's the best way? Just zap it on full and hope it isn't like leather, or is there actually a way of re-heating without cooking to a frazzle??

-m.
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    20 Nov '11 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom

If I have a meal, which I did and that being cooked (steak in gravy and french-fries), then what's the best way to re-heat it in a microwave oven?

If I put on full power, I can only assume it starts cooking again from inside out and the steak will just get hard?

If I cook on half power ke leather, or is there actually a way of re-heating without cooking to a frazzle??

-m.
    Over the years I became an EXPERT with a microwave Mike and when I'm alone, from time to time, I reserve the right to retain such a 'title' 😉 My wife abhors the microwave but I am a mic meal man when she's not here ..you can cook anything in one, given time and an 'observing' patience. However, I found best results for steak and chips reheats was to wrap them in foil and steam them...placing a little 'mesh thing' in the bottom of the pan and adding water, just so the food doesn't get wet. Place the lid so the steam can easily exit. Steam for 5mins and booooom, nice and moist steak and the chips still good.
    HOWEVER also, I've also microwaved the same meal, it's hardly quicker, it's adequate but not as good as steaming, you have to place a wet paper towel all around the plate and cover it with with a plastic lid 'thing'..the lid sits on the floor of the microwave and the wet towel will give off steam when cooking.. The wet paper towel is essential to keep the steak from drying out. Cook for 3 1\2 mins, give the meal a little wiggle around, knock it about with a fork..turn the steak over if you're overly fussy and then a further minute on the same full power...depends on your wattage.
    EDIT: BUT, you'll have already eaten that steak and chips by now...next time this might come in useful but I still want to know what your earlier attempt tasted like 😀 Regards, Dean.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 01:23

If I cook on half power ...[text shortened]... ke leather, or is there actually a way of re-heating without cooking to a frazzle??

-m.
    What puzzles me is how you landed up with cold cooked steak...

I actually finish steaks off in the microwave, it's surprisingly effective.

After marinading in soy and balsamic vinegar with a selection of pepper and spices
    I sear the steak in a red hot frying pan till the outside is browned/blackened to taste.
    Then I give it a 30~60 second blast in the microwave to heat it through without it turning
    brown and going hard.

Usually on a bed of chopped fresh tomatoes with mature cheddar slices on top....

I have no idea what the results of trying to reheat this once cold would be since the situation
    where the steak has got cold has never happened... For some reasons or another.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Nov '11 12:29
    Not. Your chips will get soggy and mealy, no matter how you reheat them. Chips are a no-reheat food. Toss it.

If I put on full power, I can only assume it starts cooking again from inside out

No, it won't.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2118/do-microwave-ovens-cook-from-the-inside-out
    http://www.misconceptionjunction.com/index.php/2010/10/microwaves-dont-cook-from-the-inside-out/

Richard
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 02:18
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not. Your chips will get soggy and mealy, no matter how you reheat them. Chips are a no-reheat food. Toss it.

[b]If I put on full power, I can only assume it starts cooking again from inside out

No, it won't.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2118/do-microwave-ovens-cook-from-the-inside-out
    http://www.misconceptionjunction.com/index.php/2010/10/microwaves-dont-cook-from-the-inside-out/

Richard[/b]
    Something else to note, that is mentioned in those articles, as is common with many devices.
    Turning the device down doesn't make it run at reduced power, it makes it run on full power
    intermittently.

Central heating and conventional ovens do this as well.
    They turn on at full power until the desired temp is reached, then they either turn off or switch to
    minimum output till the temp drops again and then they whack back up to full.

So if you are only wanting to heat something very briefly, it may make no difference what setting
    your microwave is on.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 07:56
    Pls don't forget, I am not at home but living in a small room. My home is still flooded. I would normally re-fry on flash heat, and also drop the chips into searing fat. However, the only cooking utensil I currently have is a micro, hence the advice needed cos I am no micro user.
    The steak n chips was cold because my wife bought steak when she saw it on her way home. Steak in peppered gravy isn't widely available here. 😳

I zapped both in the paper bag for 2 mins, and it was delicious. The gravy kept the steak soft. The chips didn't go soggy for some reason, and were still crisp.

Thanks for the advice to all though, as I'm sure this event will reoccur in the coming month, and I will attempt the various ways!

-m. 🙂
  7. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 06:03

If I cook on half power ...[text shortened]... ke leather, or is there actually a way of re-heating without cooking to a frazzle??

-m.
    Get your boyfriend to do it.
  8. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 06:352 edits
    Scientifically speaking Mikelom is obviously bent as a nine bob bit.
    His casual attempt to leech what is rather blatantly a general subject into the
    scientific arena is a display of his utmost belief that in some way his sexuality and
    over-zealous flirting techniques will somehow save the day. In addition to this is
    an under-tone that he actually believes he knows more than everybody else about
    everything by producing a question so mind-numbingly inane and crap that it would
    stick to the foot of any of the posters here.
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 06:52
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    he is actually hoping that he will get slapped down in a spool of
    contempt as some attention is better than no attention
    or, if not, he gets to hang
    around swaggering his butt at us like a flag-pole baboon, thus cementing
    his place as a 'tease'.[/b]
    Did I win? 😉

And what got up your nose today? I don't think I've ever responded to one single post of yours, ever...

-m. 😏
  10. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 06:562 edits
    Did I win? 😉

And what got up your nose today? I don't think I've ever responded to one single post of yours, ever...

-m. 😏
    Why do I get the feeling that everything you say is somehow related to your anus?
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 07:01
    Why do I get the feeling that everything you say is somehow related to your anus?
    Don't put yer ears so close as to listen then, as I might just crap in your mouth!
  12. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 07:042 edits
    Don't put yer ears so close as to listen then, as I might just crap in your mouth!
    If your question is whether your total disregard for everything considerable, magic
    or astounding in favour of a contemplation of your own rectal passage was that of
    a nature to capture the attention of a given number of toothless morons then the
    answer is yes.

But I might argue that it's a dish best served in the general forum.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 07:32
    If your question is whether your total disregard for everything considerable, magic
    or astounding in favour of a contemplation of your own rectal passage was that of
    a nature to capture the attention of a given number of toothless morons then the
    answer is yes.

But I might argue that it's a dish best served in the general forum.
    I really, really have no idea what you are talking about. Take it to spirituality, pissed-up spankass.

And while you're at it, consider to stop beating your mum up for money, and concentrate on yer whore. 😉

-m.
  14. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 07:59
    I really, really have no idea what you are talking about. Take it to spirituality, pissed-up spankass.

And while you're at it, consider to stop beating your mum up for money, and concentrate on yer whore. 😉

-m.
    You're a maggot Mikelom.

You thought you could squirm your way through here like the little parasite that
    you are without anybody saying anything. But you're in the science forum now
    f***wad and this is where insects get taken apart.
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    28 Nov '11 08:08
    You're a maggot Mikelom.

You thought you could squirm your way through here like the little parasite that
    you are without anybody saying anything. But you're in the science forum now
    f***wad and this is where insects get taken apart.
    It must be difficult for you to envy me.

It's nice to be disliked too, as it shows the pathetic and immature, ignoble and unknowledgeable trait of the disliker who doesn't, indeed, know me.

It's only complainers and secret admirers that whinge in public.

I appreciate your envy, therefore.

Have a nice day. 😉

-m.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree