1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 02:361 edit
    @metal-brain said
    Lots of species have adapted to cold environments that are not extinct. there is a horse breed in Siberia that can survive cold temps most other breeds cannot. Mammoths had hair and were big. It isn't a mystery why they were adapted to the cold.

Lots of species have been on the earth for a very long time without much physical change. The sharks and crocks are good exa ...[text shortened]... when you created this thread. Let me know when they GM a hairy elephant though. That would be neat.
    You have a point about the "been on earth for a long time without much physical change." What about elephants? They're not that much different physically from mammoths of millions of years ago.

Without a doubt this is technological leap, a seminal study, and a masterful finding. This DNA predates the existence of humans. The mammoths actually did not have hair at all. And it's not just the hair it's the sequence of the proteins that allow for function at low temps. Dozens of research articles will be written about it. I'm sorry you don't appreciate it as much as I do. Maybe I'll update this thread when the follow up articles come out...
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 14:36
    @wildgrass said
    You have a point about the "been on earth for a long time without much physical change." What about elephants? They're not that much different physically from mammoths of millions of years ago.

Without a doubt this is technological leap, a seminal study, and a masterful finding. This DNA predates the existence of humans. The mammoths actually did not have hair at all. An ...[text shortened]... appreciate it as much as I do. Maybe I'll update this thread when the follow up articles come out...
    It is not a woolly mammoth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_mammoth

BTW, this wikipedia link claims a genome project for the mammoth was completed in 2015. Is this old news?
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '21 16:231 edit
    @metal-brain said
    It is not a woolly mammoth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_mammoth

BTW, this wikipedia link claims a genome project for the mammoth was completed in 2015. Is this old news?
    That was a different species of mammoth. Wooly mammoths were with us quite recently, up to 10,000 years ago, so there's actually quite a bit of material to work with. I'm 80% confident in saying they are not ancestors of modern elephants.

I don't have a full rendering of all the data, but the one sequenced here is a really old one that predated the woolies. All the other cold-adapted traits were present in this species though. It's called a Siberian steppe mammoth, if you want to look it up.

Edit: LINK (you're welcome) https://www.newscientist.com/article/2268417-first-million-year-old-dna-extracted-from-siberian-mammoth-teeth/
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '21 08:36
    @wildgrass said
    That was a different species of mammoth. Wooly mammoths were with us quite recently, up to 10,000 years ago, so there's actually quite a bit of material to work with. I'm 80% confident in saying they are not ancestors of modern elephants.

I don't have a full rendering of all the data, but the one sequenced here is a really old one that predated the woolies. All the other ...[text shortened]... w.newscientist.com/article/2268417-first-million-year-old-dna-extracted-from-siberian-mammoth-teeth/
    https://www.genome.gov/27539119/2010-release-complete-neanderthal-genome-sequenced
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '21 16:43
    @metal-brain said
    https://www.genome.gov/27539119/2010-release-complete-neanderthal-genome-sequenced
    This is really old news. Why did you post it and why's it relevant here?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '21 22:36
    @Metal-Brain
    It was old news ten years ago.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '21 09:13
    @wildgrass said
    This is really old news. Why did you post it and why's it relevant here?
    So was the woolly mammoth genome being sequenced, but they are both more exciting than the mammoth news you posted. We can compare our genetic code to Neanderthal. Much more exciting in my opinion.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '21 15:54
    @metal-brain said
    So was the woolly mammoth genome being sequenced, but they are both more exciting than the mammoth news you posted. We can compare our genetic code to Neanderthal. Much more exciting in my opinion.
    You already said you're not interested in this. That's fine. But it's the oldest biological material we've ever recovered in which we can sequence the DNA. That's cool.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree